Author Topic: problem with fit2019 Auto Idle stop .do i need a battery charger?  (Read 3880 times)

fitisraeli

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: fit
About two months ago I bought a 4-year-old honda fit2019(jazz in israel) and since then I have always received a message on the dashboard that the stop&start system is not available plus a symbol of a battery with a diagonal line.

With the engine off I get 12-12.2 volts and while driving I get 14-14.2 volts. The battery is two and a half years old.

I read on the forum that explain how to charge the vehicle's battery while bypassing the s/s sensor.
I noticed that style chargers are usually recommended
 CTEK stop/start. charger company.

My question is can one charger do the same job and help operate a stop and go system in the same way?

Does it matter at all with which charger you charge? Can I buy a portable charger? what should i check before i"M buying.

Thank you very much for any help
Examples of other charges:

Schumacher SC1280 15A 6V/12V Fully Automatic Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycle, Power Sport, Marine, and Automotive Batteries
https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC1280-Charger-Automotive-Batteries/dp/B0797KK3N2/ref=sr_1_7?c=ts&keywords=Battery%2BChargers&qid=1674726959&s=automotive&sr=1-7&ts_id=15707061&th=1

NOCO GENIUS2
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS2-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B07W6B987F/ref=sr_1_19?c=ts&keywords=Battery+Chargers&qid=1674726406&s=automotive&sr=1-19&ts_id=15707061

aliexpress
https://he.aliexpress.com/item/32847142538.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000014.4.16f67febWXkWcK&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller&scm=1007.40000.317745.0&scm_id=1007.40000.317745.0&scm-url=1007.40000.317745.0&pvid=e7287533-5f66-4670-8c22-a440b92adffd&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreOtherSeller,scm-url:1007.40000.317745.0,pvid:e7287533-5f66-4670-8c22-a440b92adffd,tpp_buckets:668%232846%238107%2347&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2265180546375%22%2C%22sceneId%22%3A%2230050%22%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21ILS%21164.81%21126.9%21%21%21%21%21%40210312f816747266074674051e481d%2165180546375%21rec

Amazon Basics 8 Amp Battery Charger for 6V and 12V Batteries with Auto Start and Reverse Protection

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Battery-Charter-12-Volt/dp/B07TZYB3PD/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Battery%2BChargers%2Bamazon&qid=1674726660&s=automotive&sr=1-4&th=1

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: problem with fit2019 Auto Idle stop .do i need a battery charger?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 10:36:23 AM »
I doubt there is anything wrong with your battery. I too get that message, and have done every winter I've had the car (8 so far). The car always starts and the start/stop system always comes back in the spring. The Honda system has a very long list of factors that will inhibit the system from working, and a combination of cold weather and shorter/fewer journeys in the winter is enough to persuade the system that the miniscule voltage drop means there's something wrong with the battery. There isn't. By all means charge it if you want, but it isn't necessary.

fitisraeli

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 10:55:03 AM »
I doubt there is anything wrong with your battery. I too get that message, and have done every winter I've had the car (8 so far). The car always starts and the start/stop system always comes back in the spring. The Honda system has a very long list of factors that will inhibit the system from working, and a combination of cold weather and shorter/fewer journeys in the winter is enough to persuade the system that the miniscule voltage drop means there's something wrong with the battery. There isn't. By all means charge it if you want, but it isn't necessary.

It's been a week with 25c outside. Do you think that any charger can fit from the list I brought?
or i need ctek CT5 START/STOP ?
txn

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 02:22:57 PM »
Can't help you with choice of charger I'm afraid, I don't own or use one. All I can say is that I get the same symptoms as you and it's not a problem. You can always charge the battery by going for a long drive.

I notice from your original comment that the car is 4 years old but the battery's 2.5 years old, so the previous owner replaced the battery after only a year and a half. That's a very short life (I'm still on the original battery after 8 years), so why did they do that? It implies some sort of electrical problem that may have only been disguised, rather than fixed, by the battery change. And is the replacement (the one that's in the car now) a proper stop-start battery? See this:
https://www.rjbatt.com.au/stop-start-batteries

Something you might wish to try is to disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few minutes. This is supposed to reset the stop-start system.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 03:11:17 PM »
Perhaps the Stop-Start system wasn't working and the original battery was changed (rightly or wrongly) to sort the issue.
fitisraeli. what are the temperatures like in Israel at the moment? If it is like a UK summer then maybe the battery needs charged.
I use one of these.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0856FKYQD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 04:39:42 PM »
Yep.
As noticed by ColinB, the battery you're using could be not the right one for a Jazz with s&s system. As far as I can know, this is the short list of EFB batteries fitting our Fit/Jazz and avaiable in the european market:

-Yuasa YBX7053
-Banner 55515
-MIDAC Itineris EFB JIS  mod IT55J EFB
-Enduroline 048EFB
-FIAMM ECOFORCE AFB TRN45 12V 45AH 360A

The following batteries are also ok but can be found only in asean markets:
-Varta Silver Dynamic EFB N-55/80B24L
-Bosch ST Hightec EFB 70B24L (N55L)

The OEM battery for our Jazz is the Yuasa YBX7053.
The list is so short because the slot for the battery, is very small, only batteries with 238x128x227 mm can be inserted under the hood, and the battery should be a EFB type.
Using a non-EFB battery:
- the ECU will detect it and will disable the s&s function;
- the battery will last less time, since charge parameters are set for EFB batteries, not for simple lead-acid.
Recharging your battery, never bypass the sensor placed on the battery.
Bye
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 05:53:22 PM by jazzaro »

fitisraeli

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 07:15:27 AM »
Thank you very much everyone.
The BATTERY  is not s\s
Install a B32 VARTA BLUE DYNAMIC CAR BATTERY 12V 45AH battery in the car (545156033)

I live in a very expensive country and a suitable battery will cost me about $240.

I'll probably give up on that. Does anyone know how much fuel is consumed per minute/hour when the engine is on without driving?

Thanks

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 12:52:35 PM »
Does anyone know how much fuel is consumed per minute/hour when the engine is on without driving?
About 1 or 1,5liters per hour.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 11:54:56 PM »
Just a comment on the charging startegy. The monitor measures the current in vs the current out of the battery. You want to try to convince the electronics system that the battery is getting more in than out of the battery.
One way to attempt this is to discharge the battery a bit by connecting a load directly to the battery terminals, the monitoring system doesn't see this discharge. A suitable way is to wire up a spare bulb (a headlight bulb of 60/55W will drain around 5A using one filament, that would be ideal) and connect directly to the battery terminals (a suitable fuse is highly advisable). Leave it connected for an hour or so, draining 5Ah or around 10% of the battery. That's fine.
Then either put a charger on it connected to the MONITOR terminal so it sees the ingoing current, or if you are happy with the battery just start the engine and drive it for a decent distance.
The monitor thus sees charge going in but not going out so it "thinks" the battery is getting charged more than discharged and should be happy.
It's not a guaranteed method but can help. If the battery is tired anyway it probably won't help.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 09:07:11 AM »
(a suitable fuse is highly advisable)
A fuse only protects downstream of itself so a fuse in this case only protects the lightbulb. Stick one in line if you have one but don't worry if you haven't.

orangeTomato

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MK3 Jazz
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2023, 10:51:28 AM »
Running with that logic, I think you might want to consider the battery itself (and the wire to the negative terminal) to be downstream objects worth protecting! And the wire 'downstream' of the positive terminal into the fuse is probably also worth protecting...

To spell out what embee was hinting at, actually running this experiment is somewhat dangerous. The terminals of a car battery are very close to each other, and if you start playing with some homegrown contraption made out of a lamp socket and some flying leads, you would need to be incredibly careful not to short out the battery terminals.

A typical car battery can probably supply 3-5 kilowatts, which will rapidly heat up whatever cable you're probably holding at the time. Easily hot enough to cause a nasty burn if you don't let go quickly enough. Probably a similar danger profile to grabbing a your kettle element with one hand while turning it on with the other.

See this youtube video at about the 2:55 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpT0isuS-W8#t=175
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 10:59:04 AM by orangeTomato »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2023, 02:32:20 PM »
you would need to be incredibly careful not to short out the battery terminals.
If you were an absolute numpty. As an electrical engineer of fifty years, I would not waste time with a fuse for a light bulb. But there again, I would not have enough bare wire to stretch from the positive terminal to a vehicle earth. The battery is perfectly safe unless you are using jump leads or something similar to connect the bulb. I suppose someone stupid enough might. Wire able to be connected to a bulb holder would not be able to carry enough current to exceed the current the starter draws so the battery would be safe.
The best bet is not to do it at all unless you are half competant.

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2023, 07:53:28 PM »
My observations.
I don't know how you've tested your battery, but from your first post, an open circuit test with a digital voltmeter of 12-12.2V would indicate you have a cell down. Typically 12.6V to 12.8 V would be normal.

Jazzaro has posted a list of suitable battery replacements, with the Yuasa YBX7053 being the OEM standard.
It would seem that the battery you have fitted to your car is not to OEM specifications.

I have used the CTEK MXS5.0 battery conditioner for quite a few years on a mixture of battery technologies - standard calcium, EFB and AGM - and can thoroughly recommend it.

I'm with 'orangeTomato' with their comments - Please do not attempt to connect anything directly to the battery terminals in an attempt to 'fool' the battery monitoring system.
In simple terms, you do not mess around with D.C current and you also don't want to gamble with the possibility of generating sparks close to a battery that maybe releasing hydrogen...

Before I get shot down, my comments are based on many years of Instrument and Electrical design work with particular experience on hazardous areas - but not car design.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 04:17:20 PM »
....To spell out what embee was hinting at, actually running this experiment is somewhat dangerous. .....

Also do not put your poodle in the microwave to dry it .....

I do try to give folk the benefit of the doubt regarding competence, if you don't understand what you are doing then .... don't. That was why I suggested a fuse, personally when I've done that process I haven't fused it for the reasons Jocko suggests above, but as the saying goes, artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Warning, driving a car is dangerous, don't do it, people get killed and seriously injured (not always in that order).

I'm always torn between suggesting things which people can try in order to fix/investigate a problem while crediting them with some common sense, and just keeping quiet and let them struggle on. I guess there isn't a correct answer to than conundrum.

2robbie2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 3
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 04:33:16 PM »
The same thing occurred on my 69 plate Jazz which I picked up in 2021 (straight from the dealer as a 12 month old ex-demonstrator with the original OEM battery and 3,500 miles on the clock - so not messed around with to the best of my knowledge). I did lots of web research and have read more threads than I would care to mention. At first I found the whole thing frustrating and a bit worrying, but I soon discovered that this is a common issue for the Honda Jazz.

The stop/start seems to work for me only during Spring and Summer - I can never recall it working from late Autumn onwards when it gets colder. At the two last Honda Services (at two different Honda Dealers and both in December), I asked the service department advisor about this and on both occasions they said that it doesn't work when the battery is below a certain level of charge (my battery voltage was recorded as 12.3 and 12.6 on each occasion, which they said was normal).

However, please bear in mind that I don't possess the mechanical or electrical knowledge that other members above have so you may wish to take my experience with a pinch of salt.  :D

Personally, I no longer worry about the issue - the car drives nicely and still returns a better mpg than my previous Mini Cooper Diesel. I also take some solace from Scotty Kilmer saying on his YouTube channel that the start-stop function isn't necessarily a good thing anyway in terms of additional wear & tear on the engine from constant stopping and starting.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 04:59:50 PM by 2robbie2 »

Tags: