Author Topic: Reversing Light Bulb  (Read 1574 times)

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Reversing Light Bulb
« on: January 13, 2023, 06:37:54 PM »
Can a kind forum member confirm that the reverse lamp bulb is a T15 W16W as I’d like to swap it out for an LED version?

Sorted now.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 08:33:33 PM by UKjim »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Reversing Light Bulb
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 10:14:45 PM »
Believe it or not, that is also illegal. In fact, swapping to LEDs for any external light is only legal if the light fitting itself is designed for an LED bulb.

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2023, 10:26:53 PM »
but at least they pass an MOT as those rules only apply to headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2023, 10:53:35 PM »
but at least they pass an MOT as those rules only apply to headlights.
Yes. there are virtually no regulations regarding reversing light other than the fact there can be no more than two, the maximum wattage of any one reversing light must not exceed 24 watts, if they are not switched automatically there must be a telltale AND THE BULBS MUST HAVE AN APPROVAL MARK, which LEDs don't have and there is currently no legislation to allow them to get a mark. A case of legislation has not kept up with technology.

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 10:57:41 PM »
You're correct the legislation is rather behind the times, filament bulbs are almost extinct everywhere else.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2023, 11:10:56 AM »
You're correct the legislation is rather behind the times, filament bulbs are almost extinct everywhere else.
Maybe thats because filaments are still more than adequate for the reversing  light role  ,with less risk of dazzling others. Reversing lights are not on for long so battery consumption and longer life are less of an issue. And how often do you reverse fast enough to need brighter lights? 

LED's may be  more eco friendly, but not if you retrofit them and led's  have to be manufactured to replace  working filament bulbs that may well outlast the car.   And if  one of two filament bulbs fails, you might need to replace both with led's to ensure  even light. Double the manufacturing emissions
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 11:18:55 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2023, 12:58:53 PM »
But if we theoretically assume, that the car is solely used outside of the public roads, then LED bulbs certainly provide better visibilty when reversing. That is especially beneficial in wet and rainy nights and when there is no other lights in the area.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2023, 02:35:15 PM »
But if we theoretically assume, that the car is solely used outside of the public roads, then LED bulbs certainly provide better visibilty when reversing. That is especially beneficial in wet and rainy nights and when there is no other lights in the area.
Without a doubt. The reversing light I fitted to my little FIAT had a 21w bulb and made for easy reversing in just such circumstances.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2023, 03:37:19 PM »
Without a doubt. The reversing light I fitted to my little FIAT had a 21w bulb and made for easy reversing in just such circumstances.

Wouldnt that have been a 21W filament bulb that  allowed easy reversing? 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2023, 04:01:59 PM »
Wouldnt that have been a 21W filament bulb that  allowed easy reversing?
As it was in the 1970s it was a filament bulb. My point was that a quality reversing lamp makes a huge difference when reversing,

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2023, 08:52:48 AM »
I upgraded my previous two vehicles (Mk 2 HR-V and Crosstar) with T15 W16W LEDs in order to improve illumination when reversing. It's likely that the current owners of the vehicles don't realise that they are benefiting from this upgrade.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2023, 04:24:03 PM »
Just me then, and maybe I am being a grumpy old man .I  also get annoyed  at people who insist on unnecessary floodlighting their house, especially when it annoys others.

Headlights are justified - if you take positive action not dazzle others.  And a brighter boot light if you want.     But reversing lights are restricted to 24 watts, usually 21 w , for a reason.   Its bright enough for the purpose without being a hazard to others.  Speculation  here but could the reason no led bulbs have an approval mark is because none can meet the approved safety specification. Unless maybe as part of a specially designed light unit.   My mk 4 EX reversing lights have special Fresnel lenses  and I'm not even sure that uses leds. .
IMO  retrofitting led reversing bulbs to a car not designed for them  is either pointless because  it wont increase light, or if it does increase light it contravenes the whole point of limiting wattage to prevent dazzling others.  Otherwise why not just fit main beam headlights at the rear.  You'd see even better.       

My point about Jocko's reversing light  is he was pleased with its performance with a filament bulb.  It makes a huge difference.  It doesnt necessarily follow that you must therefore upgrade it .

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2023, 06:47:17 PM »
Led bulbs are not approved, but you can fully legally disconnect the original reversing light and install this led 20 W 1600 lm approved reversing light.

https://ledlightpower.ch/weldex/434-led-arbeits-ruckfahrscheinwerfer-20-watt-weldex.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 06:49:03 PM by TnTkr »

UKjim

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2023, 07:35:11 PM »
I think I may give that one a miss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2023, 08:24:34 AM »
Yes, I can understand that.  :D

My point was to show, that a reason to lousy reversing lights on Jazz and many other cars is not limitation coming from approval criteria, but making it cheap. Just like mediocre heating, ventilation and air-conditioning. Within the approval criteria, the reversing lights can be much more powerful than 21 W or 24 W filament bulb.

I will upgrade my reversing lights with led bulbs to see better where I am reversing in adverse visibility conditions. Just like to have 3500-4000 K natural white, not bluish cool white bulbs.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 08:27:01 AM by TnTkr »

Tags: