Author Topic: Any experience of Michelin Cross Climate tyres?  (Read 7366 times)

dvhttn

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3 Ex CVT
Re: Any experience of Michelin Cross Climate tyres?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2019, 12:55:36 PM »
Been reading this thread as I'm about to get new tyres for my "other" car and probably going the Cross Climate route for that (FWD, 2002-vintage Passat). Everybody seems to be looking at the CC as 'winter' tyres but they are marketed as 'all seasons' tyres and, unlike a lot of others that are 'winter' tyres with 'add-ons' for summer use, the CC are 'summer' tyres with 'add-ons' for winter use. See ...  https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/michelin-crossclimate-is-the-first-summer-tyre-that-can-safely-be-left-on-all-winter/  ....  Can't see any real negatives in using them, especially bearing in mind that a lot of user review is subjective (as everybody experiences things differently) and that 'most' modern tyres are better than the driver is most circumstances. For me I'd like to see if the general concensus that they're quieter on the road bears out for me and any extra safety when on wet/cold roads is a bonus.

For the wife (who runs the Jazz) then *IF* they are safer/quieter on the road then they would be a no-brainer for her car as she just 'drives' and pays no attention to road conditions etc.
Dave
Carpe diem …

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2019, 06:11:00 PM »
....  Can't see any real negatives in using them, especially bearing in mind that a lot of user review is subjective (as everybody experiences things differently) and that 'most' modern tyres are better than the driver is most circumstances. For me I'd like to see if the general concensus that they're quieter on the road bears out for me and any extra safety when on wet/cold roads is a bonus.

For the wife (who runs the Jazz) then *IF* they are safer/quieter on the road then they would be a no-brainer for her car as she just 'drives' and pays no attention to road conditions etc.

Same as my thinking, and, as I mentioned earlier, before Cross Climates existed we ran our Jazz on full Winter tyres year round.  Worked fine and lasted well.

I remember an article some years ago (again, before All Season tyres became a thing) from Continental's Technical Director saying that if you had to choose one tyre in the UK then on balance a full winter would be best.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2019, 08:49:33 AM »
Had them on my Seat Ibiza. Good on all surfaces but didn't cope well with ice. Using Maxiss AP2 all seasons and Nexen N'Priz 4S previously on the Jazz 2009. For the money, they are lasting as long as Crossclimate and better value.

ados_cz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2008 mk1 1.4i dsi CVT
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2023, 12:56:12 AM »
XL can be bit stiffer and noisier, but some of the all season tyres might be the most sensible choice for any car in certain parts of UK, I would imagine especially parts of Scotland.

I used to have Crossclimates on my Vectra C in the front only. One day, coming back from work uphill when it snowed over slightly, other cars we stuck sliding backwards and sideways and I was passing the strugglers relatively easily thanks to having good traction on the fronts offered by the all season tyres capability in snow. Others were most definitely using summer tyres only.

After this experience I purchased 4 Crossclimate+ for my mk1 225hp Audi TT quattro, with generation 1 haldex 4 wheel drive, and again I really appreciated that I had great traction on snowed over road. I was driving to work one morning & again the road were snowed over, came upon few strugglers who we driving at 30mph on straights were you do 60 when dry or wet normally. They were flashing me with headlights like mad after I have passed them with the TT on the straights. It felt safe to do 40+mph on the straights and they were slowing me down. I then enjoyed few entertaining sharp bends safely with the quattro kicking in. TT is fun and cheap as hell too :-)

I bought mk1 Jazz 2008 GE3 1.4i DSi CVT recently, as my fiancé wanted automatic. Every tyre on this car is different summer one so I was searching long and hard for reasonably priced and well performing allseason and came across Kumho Solus 4S HA32 185/55/r15, basically the most correct size for my original alloys. However, they are XL like the Crossclimates are. Might end up with slightly stiffer ride but according to reviews they last long and are more or less mid range when it comes to performance.

Since I intend to not to trash the Jazz like I was trashing TT at times, I don't think the extra stiffness will be much noticeable. What I did not take into account is they are going to be slightly heavier thus impacting few factors like fuel consumption negatively. But overall, for the safety and advantage they might offer in wintery weather conditions, and still great driveability in summer, I think they are going to be lovely compromise overall, for £65 per tyre balanced and fitted.

They look very similar to what I bought for my Fabia mk2 recently, the Goodyear allseason Vector gen 2 195/50/r15 (non XL). I think they are great, especially in cold wet weather and also get you safely through in snow. They are more or less same performance-wise like the Kumhos bar the aquaplaning performance which should be better on the Vectors. They were similar price too because 195/50/r15 is more common size.

Basically most of the Scotland benefits from all season tyres for sure, especially from the newer types like CrossClimates from Michelin as they 90% summer tyre with winter capability, meaning they will have traction in snow and CrossClimate 2 (gen 3 actually) rivals winter tyres too. Possibly safer in cold and wet than summer tyres too.

As long as I live in Scotland I will buy reasonably good allseason tyres only.

mikebore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2023, 05:40:20 AM »
My main experience with Michelin Cross Climates after two years is that they are very good at keeping the snow away  ;)

I haven't been able try them in any meaningful way, but I have been very happy them in normal conditions, year round. No disadvantages.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2023, 11:59:11 AM »
About a year and a half ago, when we ordered our Mk4, we decided we wanted it delivered on all season tyres.
First thought: of course the declared "champion" Michelin Cross Climate.
Until the dealer told us that there is an equally good, if not better tyre available in the right size (185/55R16) for much less money: the Vredestein Quatrac.
Roughly about £30 per tyre (THIRTY pounds ) cheaper than the Michelins... :o
Had these tyres mounted and now, in the second winter, very convinced of the qualities of this tyre.
Excellent on wet surfaces in particular, but also very good on dry surfaces, while the tyres in the snow (yes, we've had that here in Poland) also behave surprisingly well.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2022-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

In short: highly recommended!!!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 01:01:39 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2023, 03:21:51 PM »
Have run 5 years on Cross Climates Mark 1/

Great in snow/mud,,, pretty useless on sheet ice: ;D  all but studs are!

Live on edge of country with narrow muddy hilly one track roads: 4x4s with summer tyres struggle (when the drivers actually  bother to go on the verges   incompetents )

Should see 45k miles from them.

(They are normally ok for noise but on regular ridged roads they can be awfully noisy - I have to slow down to 50mph.)

Tags:

anything