Author Topic: Screeching sound sometimes comes from engine or transmission  (Read 1308 times)

David_B

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1st Gen
I sometimes hear a sort of screeching sound coming from the engine or transmission of the vehicle when the engine is running. I hear it sometimes when the engine is idling in neutral, and other times when I put it in gear pulling away. I never hear it once I start a long drive on motorways etc, only when i first start the car.

Any idea what this might be?

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Screeching sound sometimes comes from engine or transmission
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 06:37:04 PM »
Possibly the belt that drives the alternator, water pump and aircon compressor. The fault  is, I believe, uncommon on the Jazz.

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 06:37:35 PM »
+1

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 10:34:27 AM »
I'd agree. It could either be that the belt is loose or worn . Tension is adjusted with the alternator. If that's been touched just before this started then that could be it . Otherwise look for wear on the belt or pulleys . Access isn't great .Haynes suggest jacking up and removing the front left wheel (and liner, presumably ).
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 11:28:24 AM »
Sometimes it is just the idler pulley bearing that screeches -  not the belt,  a loose belt is more likely to screech when alternator loaded up ( try turning all electrics on and 'blipping' the throttle to provoke screech ).

Have replaced aux belts on Jazz MK1 ( where you need to slacken off alternator pivot bolt and another bolt that allows alternator to be pivoted to tension the belt - neither are easy to get to -  you need some decent tools )  and Civic which has spring loaded tension - as does the MK2 onwards )

If  you are going to replace belt make sure you have a diagram of where it runs,  when I changed the one on Civic ( when I replaced aircon clutch I thought - mainly because getting to the belt was a big PITA - i may as well replace belt as well, I got the belt from Cox motors ( was not gonna fit a cheapo belt after all the trouble to access it - and the belt came with a diagram of how the belt is threaded over pulleys - showing the right and wrong ways,  I would have been stumped without it - and it is easy to get in a muddle - you cannot really photograph it ) the belts have no fixed replacement mileage or time,  belts are only replaced when cracked or fraying  and can easily do 150,000 miles ( polyurethane with kevlar cords ).

Take wheel and liner out of the way as a lot of belt is hiding behind a steel chassis member, you need to get to bottom run of belt anyway as that is where you measure the tension.

I have attached PDF of Haynes manual pages for aux drive belt - The figures for deflection given by Haynes are
new belt - 4.5 to 6mm  ( the belt will stretch slightly as it beds in )
used belt - 7.5 to 10mm
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:55:52 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

seasidesoulish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Jazz 1.4 CVT-7
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 03:49:27 PM »
I'd recommend replacing the idler pulley too if you're going to change the belt.  I didn't & pretty soon wished I had.

Tags:

anything