Author Topic: CVT Grinding from pulling away from a stop  (Read 888 times)

etaxdoa

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2002 Jazz CVT
CVT Grinding from pulling away from a stop
« on: April 17, 2020, 04:50:31 PM »
About this time last year I dropped the engine/CVT/suspension out of a donor car and plugged it into my existing car.  After a christmas tree of lights on the dash initially popped up I reduced the number to just a flashing drive light and the S light coming on at all times except when the gear selector is in S, at which point the light goes out.

As the car had otherwise been driving fine I have not chased down resolving these last issues.... now I have time on my hands I am going to swap the dash out of the donor car to see if that resolves the flashing D and almost always on S light.

That, and just this week the gearbox really sounds like it is grinding on pulling away from a stop.  Thought it was bearings failing in the suspension but after jacking the car up I can not find any play in components or hear odd noises.  If I let the car roll forward and slowly get on the gas the grinding noise is minimal if at all, otherwise the noise will generally stop between accelerating through 10-30km/hr.

Ideas? 

Will swap the dash and other bits and pieces from the donor car, will disconnect the Engine mount frame from the engine/gearbox and chassis then realign to the chassis as it was a little out when i put the engine/CVT/engine mount into the car last year.  The donor car with 135K cost me $10 and a few hundred for shipping.  It had been rear ended but when it arrived the repairs where beyond my abilities so decided to swap the good bits across.  My original car I bought new in 2003 and the bat poop in the tropics has eaten away at the paint on the roof and the last kangaroo I hit slid up the windscreen and over the roof taking spotlights with him and gouging out some decent scratches in the roof... guess I might touch that up whilst I am at it also... the smallest silver lining to COVID is the extra time on my hands!

seasidesoulish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 Jazz 1.4 CVT-7
Re: CVT Grinding from pulling away from a stop
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 03:53:06 PM »
If it's juddering you can try flushing the fluid.  Sounds like you know what you're doing so I expect you've already tried that but just in case :-)

Tags: