Author Topic: Sound of Silence.  (Read 3320 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Sound of Silence.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 04:48:07 PM »
Nice that Jocko, very Telecastery  8)

Very similar colour to my Pacifica.
I wanted a Telecaster for my collection. I could have bought one for about two thirds of the price I paid to build mine. Steinberger tuners cost a few bob mind.

Pacifica is a great guitar. That was the guitar I bought my grandson, to get him started.
This is him 15 years ago at the start of his musical journey.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »
I wanted a Telecaster for my collection. I could have bought one for about two thirds of the price I paid to build mine. Steinberger tuners cost a few bob mind.

It's a nice job though Jocko. I noticed the headstock graphics on the first photo, I already saw what you did there ;)

Pacifica is a great guitar. That was the guitar I bought my grandson, to get him started.
This is him 15 years ago at the start of his musical journey.

Yes, that's the one, but alder body, more or less the same colour as yours. I always thought they played better than they should.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 07:46:56 PM »
Yamaha made a lovely range of guitars in the Pacifica range. I have never owned one myself but I would certainly love one. With a current collection of nine guitars, one bass, one in the process of building and one  in for modding, another guitar really isn't an option at the moment. Mrs Jocko has a shudder every time I stop to look in a music shop window!

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 09:32:01 PM »
It was a Precision lookalike. Some long forgotten Japanese copy.

Looks a very reasonable facsimile.  8)

Probably find it is better than the 'real' thing. Leo Fender might have invented the ubiquitous P Bass (and the Jazz too) but many have now copied it with interest. Not surprisingly, the Japs, notably Yamaha, have a good reputation in musical instruments across the board. Of course the Chinese have now jumped in with their 'mee too' manufacturing and are now beating them at their own game with excellent value for money. I have several Harley Bentons (Thomann brand which you probably know) including several basses, six string acoustics and electrics. They all needed a good setup but so do most brands. Hardware is where they cut the corners but they are OK and can be easily upgraded if necessary.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:46:55 PM by MartinJG »

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 09:35:01 PM »
This is my favourite home build.

Love the customised headstock 'Jocko'. That's a sneaky 'F' shaped 'J'. Never seen tuners like those. It looks heavy. Which wood have you used or is it a veneer? An interesting gutsy guitar but the traditional plank body is b***y uncomfortable. I see you have skipped the compensated saddle. Not great for intonation I know but I actually think it adds to that distinctive Tele sound.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 10:42:24 PM by MartinJG »

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2019, 09:41:16 PM »
Yamaha made a lovely range of guitars in the Pacifica range. I have never owned one myself but I would certainly love one. With a current collection of nine guitars, one bass, one in the process of building and one  in for modding, another guitar really isn't an option at the moment. Mrs Jocko has a shudder every time I stop to look in a music shop window!

I have a couple of Pacificas. Prefer them to Strats. Just find the neck and body more comfortable. Very underrated. Usual Strat snobs think they are kid's toys. Utter rubbish. It's a personal thing. Afraid there is a lot of nonsense talked in the music industry.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2019, 11:48:12 PM »
Love the customised headstock 'Jocko'. That's a sneaky 'F' shaped 'J'. Never seen tuners like those. It looks heavy. Which wood have you used or is it a veneer? An interesting gutsy guitar but the traditional plank body is b***y uncomfortable. I see you have skipped the compensated saddle. Not great for intonation I know but I actually think it adds to that distinctive Tele sound.
Jocko from a distance just has the right shape. And the modded F really does the trick.
The body is Swamp Ash, with a dark grain fill and a Tru Oil finish (use it for all my guitars).
I prefer the modern heavy saddles.

Also built a Walnut Tele and a Mahogany/Sapele Strat. Both with standard tuners.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 10:28:09 PM »
Very nice, Jocko. Looked like Ash but wasn't sure. Swamp Ash is of course the 'real thing' he said with an exaggerated twang as he aimed at the spittoon. The other two look great. Don't think I have ever seen a Mahogany/Sapele Strat. That's more up Les Paul ally. I have been scrutinising the body and I cannot see any obvious joins. Is the body a solid piece or are there several pieces cunningly glued together? The hardware looks good so I am guessing you stretched the budget on these.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:31:25 PM by MartinJG »

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 11:06:56 PM »
Swamp Ash is 3 piece, the others 2 piece. Teles were big budget. The Strat was parts from my spares bin (other than the body and custom made pick guard). Originally the electrics were Squier but I splashed out and replaced them with high end stuff before giving it to my grandson, for his 21st. The eldest grandson got the walnut Tele as a graduation present.
Strat was a homage to this one.

I bought it for buttons, with a warped neck, and replaced the neck and all the hardware. I later broke it up for parts for a future build, which morphed into the Strat.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 11:16:21 PM »
I wouldn't have been sure about the Sapele, but it looks really nice.

You've put some lovely guitars together there Jocko.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 11:44:23 PM »

I was half expecting you to say it was originally the wife's coffee table...

Speaking of whom, how is Mrs Jocko on the health front?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2019, 06:51:51 AM »
She gets her fourth of eight chemo sessions on Monday. Extremely tired all the time.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 09:30:08 AM »
She gets her fourth of eight chemo sessions on Monday. Extremely tired all the time.

It's no fun, I know that. Give her my best wishes, and I hope she's on the mend soon.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2020, 03:18:38 PM »
Reviving thread -

Heard Paul Young 'every time you go away' on radio the other day - what fantastic guitar piece. Loved the David Locke instrumental best...

Every time you go away Daryl Hall and John Oates.

Official Paul Young Video

Paul Young live aid

David Locke instrumental
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything