Author Topic: SUV emissions  (Read 1157 times)

hemming

• Approved Member
SUV emissions
« on: October 25, 2019, 05:12:31 PM »
The IEA (International Energy Agency) have released remarkable statistics on the rise of CO2 emissions related to the growth in SUV numbers. Worth a read on their website. The figures show an actual reduction in emissions from "other cars".π

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: SUV emissions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 05:28:28 PM »
It stands to reason that you require more energy to haul a huge heavy body around than a smaller, lighter one. More energy leads to more CO2. With the current popularity of the brutes CO2 increasing, is not surprising.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 07:36:34 PM »
To be able to claim 140mpg for the big Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is nonsense , same for powerful sports car like BMW i8,  carrying 500kg of battery around that is only good for about 18 miles.. and then 30mpg on engine.  Lets face it people have these vehicles because of ULEZ exemption and tax benefits and never even charge the battery, they don't care about emissions, only what they can scam off a gullible government which is only interested in ticking boxes.

I bet a lot of climate extinction members drive an SUV...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 07:40:31 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 10:18:00 PM »
I know my brother - a big BMW fan over many years - asked about the BMW phev and was told by the dealer exactly what Culzean says above. It's all about the various reliefs and he said most of his customers never went near a charger.

On the other hand I was talking to a Mitsubishi Outlander owner the other day and he said he runs his car on the battery virtually all the time. The ability to use an ICE engine is valuable because, once a month, he visits his son and daughter in law and that is outside the EV range. I suspect, though, he is in a minority of PHEV users who actually has a user profile that fits the car.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 10:36:09 AM »
My RAV4 is a ‘self charging’ hybrid. I am under no illusions about it's efficiency. Thing is, it does get over 40 mpg because of the electric assistance available to take the sting out of the hills. I can get over 50mpg on a long run on regular roads. Once I am retired and I am down a dog or two, I will be looking for something smaller and more efficient. But this is a great compromise right now. I think I would fit the profile of a plug in hybrid now given I mainly use the train to commute so could use electric for the majority of my journeys.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 11:09:50 AM »
An interesting fact. The majority of "private" PHEV owners, when it is time to replace them, are replacing them with BEVs. Their experience is that most of their motoring is electric driven and decide that the little they use the ICE could be replaced by public recharging.

The real CO2 emitters are your ICE SUVs, whether petrol or diesel. Your Kia Sportage and BMW X5 and the like.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 05:13:35 PM »
An interesting fact. The majority of "private" PHEV owners, when it is time to replace them, are replacing them with BEVs. Their experience is that most of their motoring is electric driven and decide that the little they use the ICE could be replaced by public recharging.

The real CO2 emitters are your ICE SUVs, whether petrol or diesel. Your Kia Sportage and BMW X5 and the like.

So PHEVs are the "gateway drug" to BEVs ;D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 06:48:00 PM »
So PHEVs are the "gateway drug" to BEVs ;D
So it would seem.

Tags: