Author Topic: Workplace parking levy  (Read 890 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Workplace parking levy
« on: October 11, 2019, 08:46:23 AM »
The Scottish government has agreed to allow councils to introduce a workplace parking levy for companies who have more than 10 parking bays dedicated to employee parking. This is similar to that run by Nottingham council. So far only Edinburgh and Glasgow council have expressed an interest in introducing it but it won't be long before others jump on the bandwagon.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Workplace parking levy
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 01:39:14 PM »
They have had this in Australia since about 1990 - our company was well outside Sydney city limits so I think they weren't affected - but taxing businesses ( which are the driver of the economy ) for their employees to park seems like a backwards step,  as the business may well move out of City,  so you will have Cities emptying and relocating to rural areas which may well involve more employee miles. About 10years or so ago when they put ticket machines on all the carparks in our local town,  the carparks were empty for over a month as locals travelled to other local towns to shop, and then covers went over the meters and then they were taken away... people power will work if people stick together.   Recently they put machines back but you put your registration number in to get a free ticket for 4 hours or so... which I suppose if they enforce the time limit precludes free parking for people who use the carpark while they are at work....

http://www.parkingnottingham.com/latest-news/aussie-work-place-parking-levy-drives-employees-to-the-brothel/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 01:55:43 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Workplace parking levy
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 03:19:01 PM »
Edinburgh, and possibly the other cities involved, want to chase the motorists out of the city. They want them to use public transport. I must say, Edinburgh has excellent park and ride facilities, on the edges of the city, and even three on the north side of the Queensferry Crossing, here in Fife. The incentive to use the Fife ones is horrendous queues on the QFC and unobstructed access for buses, via bus lanes and the old Forth Road Bridge, right to the city.
Along with the severe Low Emission Zone the Scottish government has legislated for, and the widespread use of it Edinburgh intends to bring in, public transport will be it as far as travellers to Edinburgh are concerned!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49999555

Tags: