Author Topic: Left foot braking on automatics  (Read 2664 times)

hemming

• Approved Member
Left foot braking on automatics
« on: September 27, 2019, 12:43:15 PM »
In today's Motoring Agony Column Honest John returns to a subject on which he has trenchant views viz; the need for all able bodied drivers of automatic cars to learn to rely wholly on left footed braking in automatic cars for safety reasons. He sates that left foot braking reduces the thinking time and thus achieves a shorter stopping distance.
This seems counter intuitive to me as in normal conditions one would have the left foot on the floor and the right foot on the accelerator level or nearly level with the brake pedal - as an emergency occurs the right foot merely swivels left.
Effectively this involves one short move rather than involving the left foot as well where two movements are involved and one of those being more complicated.
However, I should be interested in other views.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
Re: Left foot braking on automatics
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 12:54:10 PM »
I like Honest John and it's an amazing source of information. Nobody's perfect though. The only time I tried left foot braking in an automatic I could have flattened my nose on the windscreen. Also I agree, unless you're covering the pedal all the time I can't see an advantage. Ultimately I don't think you can reach an answer by reasoning it out. As with so many things. If someone has done a controlled experiment or other sound research that would convince me.

It's doubly academic because my Jazz is manual  ;D
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 01:01:01 PM »
I drove automatics for 25 years and never considered left foot braking. I have tried it, and as springswood says, scraped myself of the windscreen.
I was taught to drive a bus, which was automatic, and though some of the students had never driven an automatic before, left foot braking was never mentioned.
Formula 1 drivers use left foot braking, but that is so they can accelerate and brake at the same time.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 01:57:12 PM »
I've tried it. I can't see the argument that it's quicker unless you "cover" the brake with your left foot all the time which would be uncomfortable.

Might be different if the brake pedal was further to the left?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 02:14:37 PM »
I have driven automatics and CVT overseas and in UK - and was grateful for them in a city environment but would not consider one as I now live in rural area.  I did try left foot braking but the problem with left foot the brake is either on or off and controlled braking in nigh on impossible.  I drive manuals now and have tried left foot braking - same problem the brake is either on or off.  Cannot see any benefit of left foot braking although I know some sites promote it with almost a religious zeal.  I have always kept my left foot well out of the way on autos, there should be an interlock on auto and CVT to cut engine / drive power when brake is applied as the last thing you want is drive working against brakes. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 02:21:02 PM »
I have tried it over a period of some 30+ years driving autos.
Anyone tried it on a Mark2 jazz?  The left footrest is lower than the brake pedal so left foot braking requires lifting left foot  (a LOT) and moving sideways. Right foot braking requires moving foot sideways.

Guess which is faster? Answer: right foot braking..

It's advice unsuitable for autos with a low left footrest (most of them)

I ignore HJ on that (and other things like premium petrol)..It is bull excrement.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 02:39:58 PM »
I have driven automatics and CVT overseas and in UK - and was grateful for them in a city environment but would not consider one as I now live in rural area.  I did try left foot braking but the problem with left foot the brake is either on or off and controlled braking in nigh on impossible.  I drive manuals now and have tried left foot braking - same problem the brake is either on or off.  Cannot see any benefit of left foot braking although I know some sites promote it with almost a religious zeal.  I have always kept my left foot well out of the way on autos, there should be an interlock on auto and CVT to cut engine / drive power when brake is applied as the last thing you want is drive working against brakes.

Yes - I agree 100% with the "controlled braking is nigh on impossible" comment. I genuinely didn't feel I was in control when I experimented with it (on a quiet road I might add!)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 03:35:00 PM »
There is no real reason why we cannot control the brake with the left foot. I am sure it is just a matter of practise. Unfortunately years of depressing a clutch have trained the left foot to press firmly down, and it is a case of breaking (or should that be braking!) the habit.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 03:47:49 PM »
Until recently I drove a mixture of manual and automatic cars on an almost daily basis and would never consider left foot braking. The foot rest is too far to the left such that the left foot is further away from the brake pedal than the right foot is.
Racing cars that use paddle shift gearboxes have a hand clutch and the brake pedal is where the clutch pedal would be.

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 04:14:00 PM »
There is no real reason why we cannot control the brake with the left foot. I am sure it is just a matter of practise. Unfortunately years of depressing a clutch have trained the left foot to press firmly down, and it is a case of breaking (or should that be braking!) the habit.

IMHO braking with left foot is like trying to write with LH if you are right handed or play tennis or any other game with the 'wrong' hand - the muscle control and connections to brain are not the same.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 06:25:24 PM »
So how does a LH person manage to accelerate and brake with their right foot? 45% of left handed people are left footed (as are 5% of right handed people). Pushing a pedal with the foot does not require the same dexterity as writing. Many LH people of our generation were forced to learn to write with their right hand, with rapped knuckles to show for it. I think left foot braking could be learned, I just don't see any benefit in doing so.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 07:05:39 PM »
I think left foot braking could be learned, I just don't see any benefit in doing so.

I'm sure it could. It's hard to get the feel of left foot braking, for manual drivers especially, because the left foot is used to pushing the clutch pedal - and it's the stiffest pedal by some margin.

I always end up on the end of the seat belt a few times when driving an auto, after going for the clutch.  :o

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 07:45:53 PM »
Braking with the left foot - absolute disaster, for the reasons already mentioned.

I suppose it would be possible for a young person, taking appropriate driving lessons, to learn the technique, but then, how would that young person then drive a manual car?
I'm afraid for us 'oldies' having driven normally for up to 60+ years, it is impossible.

And so, to repeat the first question, WHY? I can see no advantage whatsoever, and many dangers!!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 08:20:55 PM »
Have to agree, I don't see the point.

I soon learn to keep my left foot out of the way when I have to get in an auto.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 08:49:06 PM »
The first automatic I ever drove had a huge brake pedal. The first time I did an emergency stop I also pushed my foot down on the clutch! It is amazing the effect two feet on the brake pedal can have............

Tags:

anything