Author Topic: Wife fed up with the view.  (Read 2268 times)

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Wife fed up with the view.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2019, 08:57:39 AM »
At 55 mph a truck takes 390 ft to stop (industry average) and if you include thinking distance it is about 500 ft.  Not that I would just just follow him through the carnage he has created. I am constantly sizing up my "Plan B", be it the hard shoulder or lane 2.

I'd be thinking about the stopping distance of the truck behind you, not the one in front.

Exactly!

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2019, 09:01:07 AM »
I always try to maintain the 2 second rule distance but I am often thwarted by some clown overtaking because I have left a distance that their car can fit in >:(.

Does anyone have experience of adaptive cruise control and how that deals with the distance?

I have adaptive cruise control. It has three settings for the gap you want to leave between you and the vehicle ahead. If something moves into that gap, my car slows down to allow it space and then restores the gap between me and the new vehicle, matching its speed up to the speed limit I have set. In practice, if you leave a large gap, people always fill it and it can feel like you are moving backwards!

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2019, 09:49:15 AM »
I always try to maintain the 2 second rule distance but I am often thwarted by some clown overtaking because I have left a distance that their car can fit in >:(.

Does anyone have experience of adaptive cruise control and how that deals with the distance?

I have adaptive cruise control. It has three settings for the gap you want to leave between you and the vehicle ahead. If something moves into that gap, my car slows down to allow it space and then restores the gap between me and the new vehicle, matching its speed up to the speed limit I have set. In practice, if you leave a large gap, people always fill it and it can feel like you are moving backwards!
So does it take speed into account and vary the distance?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2019, 10:27:14 AM »

Yes,  that is the 'adaptive' bit, it means it adapts to try to maintain status quo as things change, my brother found same thing happened on his car, people keep cutting in front of you if you leave a safe gap - and if using adaptive cruise control you keep dropping back as any new object appears that is closer than it should be.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:30:21 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2019, 10:35:57 AM »

Yes,  that is the 'adaptive' bit, it means it adapts to try to maintain status quo as things change, my brother found same thing happened on his car, people keep cutting in front of you if you leave a safe gap - and if using adaptive cruise control you keep dropping back as any new object appears that is closer than it should be.
Yes I know it adapts if the car in front slows down, for example.  But my question was, does the gap vary depending on the speed of the car in front, i.e faster the speed, larger the gap?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2019, 10:42:53 AM »
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/how-to/a-guide-to-adaptive-cruise-control/

Your car will not go over the preset speed,  so if car in front speeds up you may not necessarily follow them. Usually you can set a following distance or on some systems a time ( eg. 2 seconds ), so if time selected the gap will get bigger as vehicle speeds increase and smaller as they slow down.

Depends on if Honda system will let you set a gap only or have the choice of a gap or time.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:47:39 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

richardfrost

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2019, 11:22:58 AM »

Yes I know it adapts if the car in front slows down, for example.  But my question was, does the gap vary depending on the speed of the car in front, i.e faster the speed, larger the gap?

No it won't. The gap is fixed at one of the three settings you choose, independent of speed.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2019, 11:56:48 AM »
ABout 40 years ago, the HGV is was following lost a rear wheel which created chaos in front and behind... The wheel hit a car on the opposite side of the two lane road.. it slewed into teh centre of teh raod (smashed windscreen) and I narrowly avoided hitting it.

After that experience I leave a sizeable distance - enough for another car to fit in if they want..

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2019, 01:33:23 PM »
At 55 mph a truck takes 390 ft to stop (industry average) and if you include thinking distance it is about 500 ft.  Not that I would just just follow him through the carnage he has created. I am constantly sizing up my "Plan B", be it the hard shoulder or lane 2.

I'd be thinking about the stopping distance of the truck behind you, not the one in front.
A friend of mine queuing in the second lane on the junction from the M3 to the M25, witnessed an HGV plough up the inside lane taking several queuing passenger bearing cars with it.  Quite a few lost their lives I believe.

Tags: