Author Topic: Battery size / capacity. 2012 model.  (Read 33652 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Battery size / capacity. 2012 model.
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »
most battery testing machines probably draw a few 10's of amps from the battery through a load resistor  during a 'test'  - this does not replicate the 100's of amps during an actual 'start'  (over 200 amps  even for a 1.4 petrol like the Jazz).

if you have tested the charging voltage at about 2000 revs and is in range 13.8 to 14.5 then the alternator is probably OK,  if you have discounted parasitic loads like alarms, auto lights etc that can flatten a battery fairly quickly then you are left with the battery itself - you can get a decent battery for £60 to £80 and it is probably your cheapest option because even if the problem turns out to be something else you will still have a new battery that you know the history of and will last you another 4 to 5 years.

I always write the date it was fitted on the battery label in permanent marker, that way there is no doubt how old the battery is - it may not be unknown for a dodgy dealer to 'swop' the battery on a one year old car for an older one before selling it on (perish the thought - how cynical I am).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest2662

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2013, 09:50:56 AM »
jazz battery 1.4 Halfords £45 3 year warranty, that was the price last week.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2013, 03:08:09 PM »
Ermmm. Think it's time to replace then.
Just looked on Halfords but no suitable one available.
Varta A14 / 540 126 033 Battery available on Ebay at £42.50 with 4 years warranty and is 40ah.
Or do I risk a Yuasa again from a Honda online dealer at £56.49. only 3 year warranty and I think it may only be 35 ah. Can't check my old battery at moment as other half has gone out. Hope battery hangs on in there.

To me the Varta sounds the best.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2013, 04:07:36 PM »
I would go for Yuasa battery every time,  they certainly make best motorbike batteries.

Halfords HB 154 will fit,   with any battery make sure positive and negative posts are in the correct place, and the correct size (small Japanese or large European terminals).

information below is taken from a manufacturers website

How to Care for your Battery - Maintaining your Warranty
1. Never leave your battery in a discharged state
When a battery has been fully charged it can quite happily be stored away for 2-3 months. However when a battery is flat, storing it for this period would almost certainly damage it beyond repair.
The reason behind this is a chemical process called sulphation. When a battery is charged this chemical process cannot take place. However, when the battery's voltage falls below 12.4V this process begins. The process causes sulphur crystals to form on the lead plates inside the battery, which in turn increases the battery's electrical resistance. The longer this process is allowed to continue the worse the effect. Eventually the battery will become so electrically resistant, that you will be unable to charge the battery, let alone draw power from it.
If this process is caught early you may be able to salvage the battery using a battery charger with a pulse charge function. This will partially break down the sulphur crystals but the battery will never reach its full capacity again.
Remember that if your battery fails due to sulphation it will not be covered under warranty. This kind of failure is classed as damage caused by the user through neglect.
2. Never overcharge your battery
Although you must always keep your battery as charged as possible when not in use, you must never overcharge it. Overcharging will cause the battery to heat up and its electrolyte will start to evaporate. In turn this will cause the battery's plates to break down, severely reducing the battery's ability to yield power.
Overcharging can be caused by a faulty regulator on a vehicle's charging system or by a manual charger being left on continuously at a high charging rate.
Fortunately, most chargers these days are now automatic and will turn themselves off once the battery has reached the end of a charging cycle.
This type of damage is also not covered under warranty, as the battery is clearly not at fault.
3. Avoid deep discharging when possible
Everybody knows that all batteries will deteriorate over time, and will eventually have to be replaced. Every time you use your battery then recharge it, its performance is ever so slightly decreased. This cannot be avoided. However, the severity of this decrement can be limited.
The way to achieve this is to not discharge your battery too deeply. Deep discharging causes the performance decrement to be more severe.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 04:22:00 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 07:28:10 PM »
Normally I would agree about Yuasa batteries but the one I am having problems with is a Yuasa.
So I have gone for a Bosch S4 with 4 year warranty and good price £39.54 delivered from Euro Car Parts. Should be here tomorrow.
Fingers crossed and hope problems will be solved.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »
I`ve a 6 years old Bosch Asian Silver battery and still going strong (40Ah, 330CCA).
What I`ve heard is Bosch and Varta batteries are made in the same factory.

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2013, 12:36:41 AM »
I have a feeling that Halfords batteries are also made in same factory as Bosch and Varta and the Halfords HB154 one is £72.99.
Though strangely their battery finder says nothing available for my car?
So, if the price doesn't put you off the battery finder will try it's best.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 08:48:56 PM »
up until a few years ago Halfords batteries actually had Yuasa UK on them (Yuasa have or used to have a factory in Ebbw Vale, Gwent, Wales).

Truth is you can have  problems with any battery if it is not looked after properly.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 08:51:00 PM by culzean »

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2014, 12:22:38 PM »
Just to let you know. Since I fitted a new battery I have had no further problems.
So much for Honda dealers battery test and I am certainly not impressed with the  lack of warranty support.
Shouldn't have to prove them wrong.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2014, 10:29:27 AM »
Just to let you know. Since I fitted a new battery I have had no further problems.
So much for Honda dealers battery test and I am certainly not impressed with the  lack of warranty support.
Shouldn't have to prove them wrong.

My son's Yaris battery has never been looked at in its life. It died after 11 years' service. (My Yaris lasted a mere 10 years on its first battery - both Yuasa)

Most modern batteries are sealed and maintenance free.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2014, 10:34:01 AM »

that is good news, 
- from experience if the charging voltage is good and you can discount parasitic loads (alarms, boot or glovebox light stuck on etc) then the battery is going to be culprit, no matter how old or young it may be.   Also battery tests are normally a waste of time as the equipment does not normally draw enough current to simulate starting a car.   As battery plates age or are mistreated the 'internal resistance' of the battery rises and although the 'power' is in the battery it has problems getting out and doing useful work.  An extreme case in sulphation (a white coating on the plates) when the battery has been kept at low charge for a period of time,  in this case you will be lucky to get a few 10's of amps out of the battery, let alone the 100's required for an engine start. 

found something interesting a few months ago about the Civic (may also affect the  Jazz GE if OEM Honda alarm fitted). There are some rechargeable  batteries in the alarm module (in drivers side of boot behind covers) and when these batteries go bad (after about 6 years normally) they won't charge and will keep calling for charge from the car electrical system, this can flatten the main battery in a few days if the car is left standing.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:40:34 PM by culzean »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2014, 10:36:58 AM »
modern car batteries are maintenance free but their life still depends on outside influences like how well they are kept charged, under bonnet temperature (heat kills batteries), vibration etc.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:41:41 AM by culzean »

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2014, 09:06:03 PM »

[/quote]

Also battery tests are normally a waste of time as the equipment does not normally draw enough current to simulate starting a car.   
[/quote]

Unfortunately Most garages do not know how to do a proper test on a battery and I knew that Honda dealer would probably be one of them and I was right.
But it is no good a mere customer telling them that. We couldn't possibly know better than them could we?
I didn't bother arguing about the warranty as they would have wanted a percentage for wear and tear and this would be more than I paid for my new battery anyway.
Also pleased to say my Jazz has just passed MOT with flying colours.

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 04:58:54 PM »
Yuasa is having a new range of calcium/calcium batteries and a website for battery lookup, more info here:
info, http://batterylookup.yuasa.co.uk/.
Their smart battery charger looks like the Ctek ones from Sweden, Yuasa, Ctek.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:02:02 PM by DV »

Tags: