Author Topic: Screen washer jets  (Read 1074 times)

Steve1962

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
Screen washer jets
« on: May 27, 2020, 09:08:35 PM »
Not much coming out of them tonight when I tried them so thought I would clean them out only to find them fixed in position (never spotted that before) so I disconnected the hose under the bonnet and blasted some  air Up it but that hasn’t fixed it.
Should I persevere or is there something else I should do?
Thanks
Steve

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Screen washer jets
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:11:57 PM »
Try blowing down from the top. The nozzles are tiny orifices. If there is algae in them blowing as you did just flushes it further into the small hole.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 09:30:32 PM »
If you use tap water to mix washer fluid the jets can also get blocked by limescale like your shower and taps do - if no joy with anything else you try put a bit of descaler or even vinegar on the jets.   If I use tap water to clean house windows I put a dash of kettle descaler in the water along with fairy liquid and the windows come up sparkling, otherwise calcium in the water can leave streaks - I try to use water from our de-humidifier for washer bottle in car and house windows but it has been so dry lately it is not making any.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Paul22118

• Oggy
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz auto Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 10:24:38 PM »
Had this very same problem, for reasons unknown, recently.  I remembered a trick my Dad used to do and this is it.

Empty the washer bottle and pour in half a litre of methylated spirits - you know the purple coloured one. Obtainable from all DIY stores.  Persevere with washing the screen and eventually the pipes and the nozzles will be free of gunge, dirt, grit or whatever it is in them.  Then top up the bottle with water and a commercial additive, leaving the remaining meths in the bottle.  Works for me. 2009 Jazz i shift.

Steve1962

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 ES Manual
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 07:13:11 AM »
Thanks all,

I'll let you know how I get on.

Steve.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 09:21:45 AM »
I have been successfully using backflow air pressure to clean washer nozzles. Requires disconnecting the hose of cource.

I would be cautious with methylated spirits. If it is based on ethyl or isopropanol alcohol, it's good and safe. However some methylated spirits are based on or contain methyl alcohol, which is not only toxic when taken internally, but has harmful effects also when infiltrated through skin or vapor breathed. For this reason there are legislative preparations to ban methyl alcohol based washer fluid.

Tags:

anything