Author Topic: Dogs in the Jazz!!!  (Read 2674 times)

A1ms

• Registered Member
Dogs in the Jazz!!!
« on: August 09, 2022, 11:49:40 AM »
Hi All, Help needed please.
I am [slightly reluctantly] downsizing from my small estate to a 67 plate Jazz shortly. I’m worried the boot may be too small for my two medium dogs to be honest.

Currently in my estate I have a Hatchbag boot liner and a barjo dog guard and tailgate guard which works brilliantly. However most custom fit guards I’ve found for the Jazz involve some drilling to fit them neatly. I’d like to avoid that where possible.

Barjo do make a crate that fills the boot and has to be assembled and dismantled in situ so it makes the crate and car secure if I leave the boot open with the car locked and crate padlocked. But I’m not sure whether there’s other options to have a seat down etc - have any of you got any such set up or pics?!

It’s very costly getting decent crates and due to the lip in the boot and limited space, so many of the crash tested crates are not suitable for the Jazz boot unfortunately.

I do agility with the dogs you see, so we travel around the uk to competitions and need them to be safe. Prefer them to be behind guards or crated as opposed to on the seats ideally.

So those of you with dogs how do you house/travel with them in the car?!

Thanks for reading and hope some of you can help!!!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 07:03:35 PM by A1ms »

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 05:56:13 PM by JimSh »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
Re: Dogs in the Jazz!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 08:36:07 AM »
We couldn’t find a way to make it work with two medium sized dogs in a Mk2 Jazz or a 2015 HRV so I had to upgrade to a Toyota RAV4. We inherited the 2nd dog due to a bereavement. One dog would have been ok but not 2.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 12:17:34 PM »
Bunk beds?   ;D     Or one on the rear floor  well with the magic sets up,  and one in the boot maybe?  (The footwell option might suit elderly dogs as they can simply walk in , no need to jump up.  )       Bit like the old joke, " How do you get 4 elephants in a mini?  Two in the front and two in the back.   ;D

On the mk4 you need to check the  magic seats are securely locked in place in  the upright position or they could fall on the dog.  Not sure if its the same with the mk3.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 12:20:03 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Beachball

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 i vtec navi
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 12:27:00 PM »
Yes your right Lord Voltermore.
If ever I lift the rear seats in my Mk.3 I have to make sure they are securely locked in place.
Had one drop down a while ago.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 08:44:22 AM »
Bunk beds?   ;D     Or one on the rear floor  well with the magic sets up,  and one in the boot maybe?
Finding room for the dogs was ok. It was then finding room for everything else we wanted to take for a 10 day holiday.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 09:27:48 PM by richardfrost »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 09:56:07 AM »
 There are dogs and there are dogs  .   My neighbours have loads of room in their  camper van for their two little 'designer' dogs .  But they got thrown off the campsite  because they were badly behaved and  constant  yappers. (So were the dogs  ;D ) Mainly the dog owners fault of course.   They now claim to be keen 'wild campers'.   I'm guessing the dogs will outlast the camper van idea. 

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 10:08:51 AM »
Every time I see this topic header I think of this:
Neil Ives

Glosrich

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S iVtec
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 01:24:23 PM »
I would say a Jazz boot is a bit small for 2 medium dogs. The boot is very tall and thin and the opening between the rear seats is very small.
A HRV might be better.

Or maybe a Skoda Fabia estate?

A1ms

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2022, 03:03:35 PM »
Well I’ve ordered a bespoke/custom made crate that will actually fill the entire boot of the Jazz and have double doors and 2 escape hatches and and each dog will have a space of 24”x19.75” if I use the crate divider or 24”x40” for both of them without the divider.
It’s actually the same size floor area as my small two seater sofa where they are both currently snuggled up!

My dogs are both less than 12kg small to medium so I’m hoping it will be ok. Have just taken delivery of 2 3” thick memory foam mattresses which I’ve had made to measure for them in the boot, and a new hatchbag cover as well.

The crate is at the powdercoaters at the moment so I’m told, so hopefully it will be finished soon!!

Will let you know what it’s like when it’s all arrived, set up and tested out. I’m slowly coming round to the idea of being a Jazz driver!! 😂😂

JJazz

• Approved Member
  • Exiled Scot
  • My Honda: 2023 Honda Jazz EX in midnight blue beam metallic
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 10:41:08 AM »
My golden retriever sits in front passenger seat with seat belt threaded through the top loop of his RAC harness. Air bag switched off with key and light indicates it’s off.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2022, 11:08:38 AM »
My golden retriever sits in front passenger seat with seat belt threaded through the top loop of his RAC harness. Air bag switched off with key and light indicates it’s off.
So, does your other half sit in the boot?!  ;D
Neil Ives

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2022, 01:57:35 PM »
Thoughtful of them to  provide an off switch for the airbag for doggies. ;) .   You could also use it for human babies.  ;D

Actually on a slightly more serious note.  The airbag off system is intended for rear facing  children .   Have  any tests been done to see if a front facing Golden retriever  would be safer allowing the airbag to deploy? 
Crash test dog dummies.  ;D 

« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 02:09:58 PM by Lord Voltermore »

A1ms

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2022, 09:53:19 AM »
Hi All,
Just thought I’d attach a couple of pics of the set up I’ve gone for for the dogs. It’s a lot smaller than they were used to in the estate but the dogs seem quite happy in it and I’m really pleased with the build quality - no annoying rattles or squeaks at all from the cage and it makes the most use out of the boot space for the dogs! I’ve actually managed to fit some stuff in the alcoves in the boot with the cage in place too.

Loving the crate mattresses and covers! And the hatchbag fits perfectly.   ;D

Tags: