Author Topic: Honda FRV: Do I need to replace my flywheel?  (Read 1879 times)

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
Honda FRV: Do I need to replace my flywheel?
« on: June 06, 2022, 08:21:32 PM »
I've recently bought a used Honda FRV with 60k miles on the clock and when I test drove the car I noticed that the clutch pedal was very stiff, so much so, that when I got back in our MK3 Jazz I kept stomping on the clutch! The biting point was also very high so I figured it would need a new clutch. There was no noise or slipping but I've always known a high biting point and stiff clutch pedal are symptomatic of a worn clutch.

I've booked it in for a clutch replacement next month and as the usual advice is to change the flywheel at the same time, I asked the mechanic about changing the flywheel too. His response was that because the FRV has a solid/single mass flywheel it doesn't need to be replaced. I'm sure he's right (as there's no reason to turn away work) but doesn't the friction surface, the one that rubs against the clutch plate wear out, like brake discs do?

On one hand, I don't want to miss an opportunity to replace the flywheel as it's an expensive job if I had to do it later but on the other hand, if it really doesn't ever wear out, then I'm happy to just replace the clutch.

Can anyone shed some light on this, please? Many thanks!  :)

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Honda FRV: Do I need to replace my flywheel?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 01:17:42 PM »
You "normally" only replace the friction plate and the clutch "cover".

The cover is an assembly of the main diaphragm spring and pressure plate in a pressed cover which bolts to the flywheel. These are replaced due to possible weakening of the spring loads and the life of any flexi straps (where used) which transfer the drive force from the pressure plate to the cover and thus flywheel. I've seen covers with 3 flexi straps and 2 have been broken.

Unless the flywheel friction face is particularly worn or scored (friction plate worn down to rivets etc) then it's not normally necessary to replace it.

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 02:07:17 PM »
You "normally" only replace the friction plate and the clutch "cover".

The cover is an assembly of the main diaphragm spring and pressure plate in a pressed cover which bolts to the flywheel. These are replaced due to possible weakening of the spring loads and the life of any flexi straps (where used) which transfer the drive force from the pressure plate to the cover and thus flywheel. I've seen covers with 3 flexi straps and 2 have been broken.

Unless the flywheel friction face is particularly worn or scored (friction plate worn down to rivets etc) then it's not normally necessary to replace it.

Thanks for your advice - much appreciated. I think the reason why I'm a bit unsure is because when I had my Civic I was advised by Honda to have the flywheel changed when my clutch was replaced under warranty - even though it had only done about 20-30k miles. So this advice stuck with me - I assumed the flywheel would wear down like a brake disc would.

But thinking about it, brake discs only usually need to be changed once every 2-3 pad changes so I guess it may be the same as the flywheel?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 06:48:34 PM »
The flywheel is a steel disc with no friction material on it. The clutch cover is bolted to it and the double-sided friction plate is sandwiched in between. That is where the friction material is. The only reason you change the cover plate is that it has springs which get weaker with age. The flywheel on the FRV is a dumb lump of metal. Perhaps the Civic flywheel has dampers on it hence Honda's advice. Or they just wanted more work and a sale!

SuperCNJ

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 12:55:49 AM »
The flywheel is a steel disc with no friction material on it. The clutch cover is bolted to it and the double-sided friction plate is sandwiched in between. That is where the friction material is. The only reason you change the cover plate is that it has springs which get weaker with age. The flywheel on the FRV is a dumb lump of metal. Perhaps the Civic flywheel has dampers on it hence Honda's advice. Or they just wanted more work and a sale!

Thanks. I think the one I had in my Civic was also just a lump of metal (I kept the old one) so probably the same solid mass flywheel as the FRV. I just thought they would wear down with the friction against the clutch plate but it seems they don't, or at least very slowly. From what I've managed to find on google, it seems solid mass flywheels pretty much last the life of the car so I guess I don't need to change it then!

Thanks again for your help! :)

DERMOT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk4 SR
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 09:53:17 PM »
Just to add to this. Most cars in last 15 yrs have dual mass flywheels. It allowed the idle rpm to be lowered to help meet economy co2 targets. But the springs tend to fail. Certainly for Peugeot, vw, Ford and vauxhall diesels. Failure causes rattle at idle , low load. Fragments kill the clutch, and the vibrations then kill the gearbox. On ford, I've seen report that the fragments end up at the starter and as the slower turn over speed drains battery trying to start it which hastens alternator demise.
So a solid flywheel is good, and makes your mechanic 's life easier as there is less things to fail that you'll think was ok until he done the clutch. Clutch and flywheel i think are about £1k fitted for most makes.

I've lived with almost solid clutch pedal and slip if I accelerate from junction in Focus for a few years, until I got the honda.
So driving gingerly you can eek it out, but Just avoid using other cars or hire cars..

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 11:57:42 AM »
A quick search reveals that the only dual mass flywheel kits available for Honda UK models are for diesel engines. Cox Motor Parts has a useful explanation https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/honda-civic-luk-dual-mass-flywheel-2006-2011/ .
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Tags:

anything