Author Topic: Sticking Rear Brake Pads  (Read 3491 times)

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
Sticking Rear Brake Pads
« on: June 30, 2020, 12:18:52 PM »
My rear brake pads stick after wet weather occasionally, as I reverse off the drive you can hear them releasing themselves from the disc with a slight crack.

Is this a feature of the Jazz or is it because I'm not using the car daily at the moment for obvious reasons and leaving it on the drive and the damp weather is the cause.

Not a big problem but it would be nice to elimate it if possible.

This used to happen on a VW I had but it had drums at the rear whereas the Jazz has discs all around.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 03:52:37 PM by Derkie54 »
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Sticking Rear Brake Pads
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 02:06:08 PM »
That happens with most disc brakes. My Jazz is particularly prone. If I put the car in the garage after driving in rain, the next time I bring it out the pads are well stuck especially if it has been sitting a couple of days.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 02:18:13 PM »
If it bothers you, why not just leave the car in gear and leave the handbrake off?

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 02:52:44 PM »
This raises a question: Are we talking about parking brake pads or service brake pads? I am asking because service brake pads can stick too. Brake discs can get visible rust in a day if the weather is wet, and some pads grip with the rust more easily than others.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 03:01:21 PM »
This raises a question: Are we talking about parking brake pads or service brake pads? I am asking because service brake pads can stick too. Brake discs can get visible rust in a day if the weather is wet, and some pads grip with the rust more easily than others.

Only one set of brake pads per side, same pads for park or normal brakes...

It is quite normal for pads to stick to disc on many cars if parked with wet brakes.  My biggest gripe about rear discs is that they are unnecessary on small cars and need more maintenance than rear drums because everything is exposed and rear brakes get all the water and crud thrown up by front wheels. Rear brake shoes easily last 100,000 miles and make a better handbrake than discs.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:06:49 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 03:34:36 PM »
It is quite normal for pads to stick to disc on many cars if parked with wet brakes.  My biggest gripe about rear discs is that they are unnecessary on small cars and need more maintenance than rear drums because everything is exposed and rear brakes get all the water and crud thrown up by front wheels. Rear brake shoes easily last 100,000 miles and make a better handbrake than discs.

Exactly my toughts! I see no point in rear disc brakes on a street car.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 04:52:13 PM »
So why do Honda use rear disc brakes and not drums? Saving 2kg(?) on the vehicle weight? Slightly narrower so less intrusion on potential passenger space?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Derkie54

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 04:56:16 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I'll just forget about it, seems to be fairly common and on other makes.
I thought it worth sharing on the forum, then we all learn something.......thank you.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:59:41 PM by Derkie54 »
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 05:55:53 PM »
If it bothers you, why not just leave the car in gear and leave the handbrake off?

If our driveway was flat I would happily leave handbrake off at home,  but with a 35 degree slope it is not really an option ( except if I went to trouble of chocking the wheels and remove chocks before using car :(
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 06:25:47 PM »
As i drive an auto, I ignore the handbrake when garage parking with a wet car...

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 09:30:25 AM »
So why do Honda use rear disc brakes and not drums? Saving 2kg(?) on the vehicle weight? Slightly narrower so less intrusion on potential passenger space?
I seem to remember that many years ago "All-round disc brakes" was a strong marketing message, so I suppose fitting them only to the front was seen as penny-pinching.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 09:44:34 AM »

Only one set of brake pads per side, same pads for park or normal brakes...

Good post, and yes thats what I find.

Plasma.

TnTkr

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 11:51:40 AM »

I suppose main reasons are rear drum brakes seen somehow old fashioned and disc brakes being better suited to operation with electronic driving disturbance systems (e.g. stability assist) operating rear brakes without driver's intention. Drum brakes are more prone to fading than disc brakes and provide more linear braking force.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 12:23:40 PM »

I suppose main reasons are rear drum brakes seen somehow old fashioned and disc brakes being better suited to operation with electronic driving disturbance systems (e.g. stability assist) operating rear brakes without driver's intention. Drum brakes are more prone to fading than disc brakes and provide more linear braking force.
Right suppositions.
1- Drums look cheap (better, they look and they are cheap).
2- Rear brakes are the first to be used by ESP to correct understeer (there are more steps, first only internal rear brake, second both internal brakes, third both front and internal...)  so driving fast in mountain roads rear brakes could heat very much.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 01:18:21 PM »
I suspect the Jazz weight distribution with a petrol tank under the floor - which no other car of its size has as far as I know -  and anti dive suspension  may play a part in the decision kaming on rear brake choice..

Tags:

anything