Author Topic: Ceramic sealant or good coat of wax?????  (Read 1553 times)

kevinivtec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ivtec ex i shift auto
Ceramic sealant or good coat of wax?????
« on: July 08, 2019, 01:59:43 PM »
Hi all Just a quick question as to what you all think??? have seen on the tv shopping site a ceramic paint sealant called HYDROLEX for the car £19.99 is this stuff worth the money ?? is it any good??? it comes in a 500ml spray bottle , but have seen  on eBay small bottles of ceramic sealant for a lot more?? is there a difference  or am I better just cleaning the car and giving it a good wax?? ARE WE RE INVENTING THE WHEEL??
Thanks all!!

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Ceramic sealant or good coat of wax?????
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 02:13:10 PM »
I gave up waxing cars years ago, I don't think modern paint systems warrant the expense of polishes etc.
I will remove bird droppings as soon a possible though, some finishes can be easily damaged by it.
My car gets a pressure wash when needed and dried off with a fibre cloth. It gets cleaned inside as well, no not with the pressure wash!

Vic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 02:13:54 PM »
Over the years I have tried all the superduper sealers and such. The ones you can pour lighter fluid over the bonnet and set light to. All the items aimed at us motorists. Now I use Bilt Hamber BHDSW250 Double Speed-Wax. It does all I could wish for.
Check on car detailing sites and see what they are using. Doubt you will find Hydrolex.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 02:51:16 PM »
Both our cars had Diamondbrite sealant applied by dealer and many years later are still shiny and get washed when it rains ( no waxing and polishing by me, I think I am allergic to cleaning cars, the only thing I do is wash underneath with clean water from a garden hose after winter to get rid of salty mud from under cars ) - so the ceramic type coatings do work when properly applied but I don't know about Hydrolex though.   I do use Auto-Glym super resin polish once a year but only to clean our PVC-U window frames and doors - does a great job. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 04:31:35 PM »
I am a bit OCD when it comes to car cleaning but I think it is easy to get sucked in by all the hype around the vast array of products on sale these days. The car detailing scene takes car cleaning to levels that means a simple wash can now take hours. They often start with an all purpose cleaner, jet wash that off, then snow foam, jet wash that off, then shampoo with a 2 bucket method, then jet wash again, then dry with a microfibre towel and finish off with a quick detailer.

Waxing and polishing then follow. First they clay bar the car, then rinse and dry again, then they will polish and, after that, they will then apply a sealer or a carnauba wax.

It's a harmless enough hobby (although you could question the use of water) but is it all necessary?

To answer the question though, what I have gleaned is that sealants usually last a fair bit longer than wax. However, the Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax mentioned by Jocko has both wax and polymers in it and lasts ages and ages. I bung it on every six months or so.

Chris_Music

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 06:20:59 PM »
I don't have any experience with Ceramic products, but I 100% recommend Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax for waxing your car.

I used to use Diamond Wax and turtle wax, and it did the job just fine. My Dad bought some of the Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax for his Kia, and I decided to buy some to see what all the fuss was about.

The wax is so good, and so easy to apply. I've never seen water bead the way it beads after using the Meguiars Wax. I gave it a hose down and watched the car literally repel the water. The beading is the finest I have ever seen, and the car actually looks cleaner after it's rained!

Best £24 I ever spent on car cleaning products https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/meguiars-ultimate-liquid-wax-473ml

Tags: