Author Topic: heater blower not working  (Read 2375 times)

dhav

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: honda jazz 10
heater blower not working
« on: November 22, 2020, 11:50:59 AM »
hi just bought a honda jazz 2007 and the heater blower is not working
the person how owned the car before got a person to look at it but could not fix and has put a live feed to the Engine coolant blower motor relay and the heater fan is working on all speeds but its on all the time even when you take the key out

when i take the live feed out of the relay the heart blower dose not work nor dose the AC button i have checked a the fuses all fine

any help would be great

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: heater blower not working
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 07:11:56 PM »
You could do with having a test to see what's not making it to the rad fan and heater blower relay sockets.

Otherwise, check all the fuses first.

The dash fusebox F22 (7.5A) feeds both relay coil circuits.

All the following in the engine bay fusebox...
F1 (80A) is the main power feed to both relays
F5 (40A) is heater blower
F10 (20A) is rad fan

Here's the wiring diagram

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00000000000000EBAT00i018.HTML

dhav

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 10:45:18 AM »
hi i have checked all the fuses were would the heater blower relay be will it be in the same place under the bonnet

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 11:32:28 AM »
hi i have checked all the fuses were would the heater blower relay be will it be in the same place under the bonnet

In the dash fusebox, above the fuses. I think it's R3 for the blower - bottom row of relays, third slot along (out of the four sideways on). Without dismantling the surrounding plastics, it's a bit like fiddling about through a letterbox, but you can just get at the bottom row.

[ Note for anyone else following, this is the later 06-08 fusebox. relays are at the back of the earlier fusebox ]

If there is also a problem with the rad fan and other circuits however, this may point to an issue with the feed from F1. It must be something common to all the affected circuits, and R3 only powers the blower.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 11:47:09 AM by sparky Paul »

dhav

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 02:18:21 PM »
hi thanks for your info just had a look and no relays at the back of the dash fuse box  when having a look i took the live feed of the fan relay to see if the fan still works and found it dose not work with out the live feed but there is a live feed at the second large terminal on the relay

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 02:51:46 PM »
hi thanks for your info just had a look and no relays at the back of the dash fuse box  when having a look i took the live feed of the fan relay to see if the fan still works and found it dose not work with out the live feed but there is a live feed at the second large terminal on the relay

Yours should have the later fusebox, all the relays are on the front, directly above the fuses, and tucked behind the dash.

There should be two positive feeds to these relays with the ignition on, one to the switch contacts and one to the coil.

No live feed to the coil with the ignition on? I think that's fed from F10 in the later model dash fusebox and should be live. That feed is common to all these circuits, the relay coils should all have a live feed to them, and it is the negative that is switched.

You just have to be careful with some of these reference diagrams - although the wiring is basically the same for the pre-06 and 06-08 models, the dash fusebox is completely different and all the fuse numbers are mixed up.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 02:57:26 PM by sparky Paul »

dhav

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 03:06:47 PM »
hi thank u for your replies
what do you mean by this (No live feed to the coil with the ignition on)

there only one live feed to all 3 relays at the front even when the car is running this has been checked with the relay out

i have checked all the fuses from in and out that states for the rad fan,heater fan ,a/c all
working

would the heater relay stop the feed to the others
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:15:51 PM by dhav »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 04:14:57 PM »
A relay has a live feed and a switched feed. The live should be there all the time. This is connected to all four relays and supplied from one fuse. All four relays have a switched feed, coming from their respective control circuit fuses. These too should be live with the ignition on. The actual switches are in the return back to earth on the Jazz.

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/00/SAA2E00000000000000EBAT00i018.HTML

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 04:35:43 PM »
what do you mean by this (No live feed to the coil with the ignition on)

there only one live feed to all 3 relays at the front even when the car is running this has been checked with the relay out

There should be two pins on each relay socket live with the ignition on, one main feed to the contacts, and one for the coil.

You are missing one of the live feeds. Which relay pin has power?

The fuses than common to all the circuits are F10 in the dash fusebox, F1 in the engine bay fusebox.

Have you removed F1 to test, or tested it in situ?

would the heater relay stop the feed to the others

No. The problem has to be one of the common feeds to these relays.

Take care with this drawing, the fuse numbers are for the early fusebox.

dhav

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 09:34:54 AM »
again thanks for your reply's

i have checked all fuses and they have power both sides  f1 was checked in situ all have been checked in situ
f1 is the main battery fuse which is 80amp

sent photo of the relay which has power all the time

the live feed which has been added goes to the bottom pine on the rad fan motor relay which when in place every thing works but the heater fan stays on even when you take the key which when left on flattens the battery 

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:49:16 AM by dhav »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 10:10:14 AM »
Thanks for the pic. That is power to the relay contacts, so F1 is OK. The problem must be with the control circuit feed, which should be via F10 on your car.

the live feed which has been added goes to the bottom pine on the rad fan motor relay

Which pin exactly? One of the smaller pair?

If the diagrams for the later fuseboxes I have here are correct, the circuit goes

BATTERY +VE > F1 (engine bay) > F3 (engine bay) > IGNITION SWITCH > F10 (dash) > RELAYS (pin 5)

Remove F10 and check to see if there's power there with ignition on. If not, refit the fuse and work your way back. You know F1 is good, so it must be either F3, ignition switch or wiring in between. If you get as far as wiring, check the rear sides of the fuseboxes - the crimped connections can frazzle up.

Just for future reference, you have to be careful checking the big fuses in situ, as you can get back feeds from other circuits - best to remove them to check. Another forum member fell foul of that one a short time ago.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:20:45 AM by sparky Paul »

dhav

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 11:04:37 AM »
ok will check
do you know which colour wire is the out let on the indash fuse box

and it is one of the smaller pins on the relay if your looking at the pins its the small left pin

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 01:03:56 PM »
Smaller pins are the coil connections, so you must be on the right track here.

do you know which colour wire is the out let on the indash fuse box

Haynes drawing says

Engine fusebox F3 to ignition barrel - White
Ignition barrel to dash fusebox F10 - Yellow/Black
Fusebox F10 back to engine fusebox relays - Black/Yellow

Second colour tracer.

FWIW, if you are 100% sure of the fuses, I'm beginning to suspect IG2 output on ignition barrel.

dhav

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 01:37:32 PM »
thanks again going to have a break until the weekend  head is spinning the only thing i can think is the wire from the f10 fuse to the relays may just run a new wire

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 02:56:20 PM »
thanks again going to have a break until the weekend  head is spinning the only thing i can think is the wire from the f10 fuse to the relays may just run a new wire

That wouldn't account for the blower relay not working, the connection to F10 is inside the fusebox.

I would make sure you check that ignition barrel. Take care if you are using a multimeter to do all this testing - you can easily get a false reading if there's a bad contact and no load. A 12v bulb with a couple of wires attached is a much better tool.

Good luck.

Tags: