Author Topic: Seriously considering moving on.  (Read 8376 times)

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
Re: Seriously considering moving on.
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2019, 11:55:41 PM »
I drove diesel vans for a while and I found them excellent, especially the Citroen Berlingo. Maybe I should look for one of them, they are cheap enough?

I momentarily toyed with the idea of getting a used London Black Cab before I came to my senses. I could get a genuine 60MPG in my Octavia Estate on a motorway trip of 200 miles cruising at the legal limit (ish) and I would be as fresh as daisy at the end of the run. Best car I ever owned.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2019, 09:45:39 AM »
I drove diesel vans for a while and I found them excellent, especially the Citroen Berlingo. Maybe I should look for one of them, they are cheap enough?

There are plenty of cheap Berlingos (also Peugeot Partner which is the same), but the prices go right up for late plate ones. Very practical, comfy too, and just the right height for those of use whose bones are getting a bit creaky.

The 2.0 litre diesel in the older ones is a good reliable engine, most of the later ones have the more economical (and cheaper tax)  1560cc Peugeot with the aforementioned injector problems. The injector seals go, and it blows into the oil, bits of burnt oil clog the pickup pipe and the turbo goes kaput. Avoid anything that's had a recent new turbo, the crank bearings on these often follow 3-6 months later. All this only applies if you are unlucky enough to pick up a bloater, some of them do big mileages without problems.

In fact, for some of these engines, I wouldn't worry about big mileages - if the service history is good, and the engine has managed to get to 150K or more without disaster, there can't be a lot wrong with it. It's not uncommon to see these engine with 250K+ on them in vans, and still going.

The bodies are usually excellent on French cars, but the interiors fall to bits on big mileages.

With any of these modern diesels, always be on the look out for injector leaks (black soot or oil around injectors), poor starting (could just be heater plugs, but can be injectors and/or injector pump), rattly flywheels, and recent turbo replacement.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2019, 10:33:01 AM »
A diesel van - lateral thinking but why not if the price is right and there are only two of you.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2019, 11:36:42 AM »
Don't overlook the Kangoo too.

I know it's a Renault, with all the problems that go with that, but that 1.5 DCi engine is probably one of the best small diesel engines about. I think a lot of the early problems were down to the stupid 20,000 mile oil change change interval they started off with, and the oil filter is tiny on them. My mate changes his Kangoo's oil every 6,000 miles or so, and it's done well over 200K now.

There are a couple of problems to bear in mind with proper vans, rather than a car version of the same vehicle - road tax and insurance.

Many of these older non Euro-4 compliant small vans are currently £260 road tax. The equivalent Kangoo or Berlingo car can be around £100 cheaper, and some are as low as £30.

Also Insurance - there are now only a few companies who will transfer your car NCB to a van policy, and vice-versa. You have to be careful who you insure with when you are going one way or the other, or you could end up losing your NCB.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:47:44 AM by sparky Paul »

tomreys

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 Jazz
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2019, 11:58:20 AM »
Just switched from a mk1 to mk2 Jazz , The ride quality is miles apart..
You felt trashed/tired when driving extended distances in 1st Jazz , in this new Jazz you feel like a normal person again, less noise, smooth drive.
+ The seat comfort on the MK2 Is seriously improved as well.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2019, 12:24:48 PM »
Toyota Auris are built like a brick sh1th00se and go on for ever.  Ford Transit Connect worth a look, more comfortable than most cars but in the van ( IIRC ) you only get two front seats,  most other vans around that size seem to get 3 across.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2019, 06:40:10 PM »
I wouldn't consider a van. I would go for the Multispace with 5 seats and sliding rear doors.

Another long day behind the wheel and it is simply tyre noise that is getting to me. You hear every change in road surface. The tyres I have on the car are Yokohama BluEarth ES32. They are 175/65 14, on steel wheels. Rated at 68db they are among the quieter tyres on the market. However, the rating is for external noise, not for the noise in the cabin!
I think there is a resonance between about 35 - 45 mph. Faster or slower and it is not too bad.

I tell you what I have just realised, after running with no wheel trims fitted for the past 4 months, I refitted them last week for the MOT test. I'll pull them back off tomorrow.

The ride is not unduly uncomfortable. Just firm and, due to the short wheelbase, prone to choppiness on some road surfaces. The fact that I am nearly 20 stone doesn't help, as the seat springs are well compressed and therefore of little help.
Engine noise, even at motorway speeds, is not an issue. Engine and exhaust note are very subdued.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2019, 10:09:12 PM »
I agree, the suspension is short travel and quite firm on the Jazz, the Europeans seems to do it so much better.

I don't find ours noisy at all, particularly for road noise, I wonder if there were any changes to the subframe bushing or sound deadening materials used in the later Chinese built cars?

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2019, 09:29:42 AM »
Removed the wheel trims this morning. Just did a mile or so in the town so no conclusions yet. Today is a quiet day. We are not even going to visit Mum. It will be tomorrow before I find if removing trims have made any difference.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2019, 05:10:19 PM »
Went over to Edinburgh's Western General this afternoon and car "seemed" a bit quieter. It is definitely tyre noise, as a change of road surface can go from noisy to almost silent.
The sound seems to come from the nearside rear, but I know how difficult it is to pinpoint the source of sound in a car.
The offside rear tyre is a Mentor M-40 or 400. Checking on line tells me these tyres are made in Bulgaria and are best fitted to donkey carts! They are rates at 73db, which is the EU limit for tyre noise.
Although this tyre has a ton of tread left I may just bite the bullet replace it with another BluEarth ES32. Kwik Fit are supplying them at £50 a throw at present. Blackcircles, 49p cheaper.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »
The offside rear tyre is a Mentor M-40 or 400. Checking on line tells me these tyres are made in Bulgaria and are best fitted to donkey carts! They are rates at 73db, which is the EU limit for tyre noise.
Although this tyre has a ton of tread left I may just bite the bullet replace it with another BluEarth ES32. Kwik Fit are supplying them at £50 a throw at present. Blackcircles, 49p cheaper.

Cheaper than changing the car, even with Kwik Fit prices!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2019, 09:34:07 PM »
Have you had any rear bearings replaced Jocko? I can't remember.

Might be worth having a feel of the inside tread of the tyres, I had a wheel bearing cause scalloping on an Avon tyre, it sounded horrendous in the end. I thought it was just the wheel bearing, but by the time I replaced it, the tyre was making more noise than the bearing and I had to scrap it.

They don't sound too keen on those tyres here

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Mentor/M400.htm
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:37:20 PM by sparky Paul »

guest4871

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2019, 10:01:36 PM »
Personnally, Jocko, I wouldn't go near Kwik Fit with two barge poles.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2019, 10:45:25 PM »
Have you had any rear bearings replaced Jocko? I can't remember.

Might be worth having a feel of the inside tread of the tyres, I had a wheel bearing cause scalloping on an Avon tyre, it sounded horrendous in the end. I thought it was just the wheel bearing, but by the time I replaced it, the tyre was making more noise than the bearing and I had to scrap it.

They don't sound too keen on those tyres here

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Mentor/M400.htm
Wheel bearings have never been changed that I am aware of and rear tyres are like new (the Mentor has been on the rear for at least 25K, possibly a lot more).
Regarding the Mentor tyres, that is one of the reports I read.

With regard to Kwik Fit, our local branch is excellent. I have used then since they opened in the town, many years ago, and never had an issue. I shop around for tyres, exhausts and batteries, and they usually offer a good price. The local branch is less than quarter of a mile from my door so it makes them convenient as well.
I also find Farmer Autocare very good but they want £54 for the same tyre.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2019, 09:50:18 AM »
Car seems to have quietened down considerably. I don't know if it is just that I an less stressed, better slept, or if the wheel trims being removed have in fact made a difference. It may even been something as simple as a stone lodged in a tread.
I am getting excellent mpg figures despite the length of time I am sitting in queuing traffic so perhaps it would be prudent to hang onto this Jazz.

Tags: