Author Topic: Dash Cam Hardwire Installation  (Read 19174 times)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Re: Dash Cam Hardwire Installation
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2020, 04:20:07 AM »
Thanks for those photos.

Which one of those plugs into the option connector socket as highlighted by Steve_M on page 2 as socket A ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:28:34 AM by Kremmen »
Let's be careful out there !

guest9814

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2020, 09:59:51 AM »
Both plugs for socket A, ordered 2 different models from different shops, one with 2 plugs used for cars with original equpment connected to socket A

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2020, 11:17:25 AM »
Nearly there .....

I've sent him this as the socket A plug:

What is needed now is a photo of as much of the fusebox as possible but ideally a closeup of the socket A:

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2020, 05:35:32 PM »
I m looking at the Nextbase 222x or 322. Is it true that it has a small battery inside so even if the car is off, it will come on if someone hits your car? Or does it has to hardwired to live fuse like hazard warning light? Many thanks for your clarification.

BigRon

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2020, 06:36:40 PM »
The Nextbase series 2 dash cam battery only has about 15 minutes running time available. I have a 322 hardwired through the ignition on so that is only works with the engine on.

I believe that it has the technology not to rundown the battery if you have it hardwired to an always live feed.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2020, 07:35:27 PM »
I had my Nextbase 512G set to trigger on shock (car bumped when parked). The problem is these files are locked to prevent overwriting, and potholes and the like can also result in files being locked too. Unless you reformat the card at regular intervals, you end up with the entire card (or most of it locked). I ended up down to 20 minutes recording before it started to overwrite. I only found this out when I tried to view an incident that happened an hour earlier!

Cobb2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2020, 08:35:10 PM »
I've added a Nextbase 322 and a rear cam fitted to the side of it ( just on the passenger side of the mirror)- so no need to run a wire through to the back hatch. So far I've been quite impressed with the quality of the front and rear cam (the latter giving a very similar view to the rear mirror ). But if you have rear passengers that will restrict the view a little.
I've used the suction pad so I could be sure that I had the right position

I haven't hard wired yet and may not bother since its very easy to hide all of the wiring  just along the windscreen edge, door rubber and then under the door seal and eventually behind the glove box coming through to the 12v socket - so really I'm not aware of the  wiring. In a Crosstar with 2 USB's its not likely I'll need the 12v accessory whilst driving.

It is worth mentioning that a good quality U3 64gb SD card  did not work very well and unfortunately I had to buy a Nextbase one which is somewhat more expensive but does work efficiently. Several other people have reported this problem in online reviews.

I've noticed that there are currently some good offers this week at Halfords or at Nextbase, especially the latter if you want to add the side rear cam as well.
If you set up the camera in the controls it does indeed have a very small battery in it which should record a parked car incident.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:39:40 PM by Cobb2 »

123Drive!

• Approved Member
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2020, 12:34:31 AM »
I've added a Nextbase 322 and a rear cam fitted to the side of it ( just on the passenger side of the mirror)- so no need to run a wire through to the back hatch. So far I've been quite impressed with the quality of the front and rear cam (the latter giving a very similar view to the rear mirror ). But if you have rear passengers that will restrict the view a little.
I've used the suction pad so I could be sure that I had the right position

I haven't hard wired yet and may not bother since its very easy to hide all of the wiring  just along the windscreen edge, door rubber and then under the door seal and eventually behind the glove box coming through to the 12v socket - so really I'm not aware of the  wiring. In a Crosstar with 2 USB's its not likely I'll need the 12v accessory whilst driving.

It is worth mentioning that a good quality U3 64gb SD card  did not work very well and unfortunately I had to buy a Nextbase one which is somewhat more expensive but does work efficiently. Several other people have reported this problem in online reviews.

I've noticed that there are currently some good offers this week at Halfords or at Nextbase, especially the latter if you want to add the side rear cam as well.
If you set up the camera in the controls it does indeed have a very small battery in it which should record a parked car incident.
Appreciate Cobb2 for the information. Looks like I might have to get the Nextbase SD card. But I will need to hardwired because my 12v is needed for my Garmin dashcam which also has a rear revising camera as I m driving a GE MK2.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 08:05:57 AM by 123Drive! »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2020, 05:11:51 AM »
I've had 3 Nextbase models 402, 412 and 380. I was never fully happy with any of them. The main issue being the vibration caused over less than perfect roads with the ball joint mount. Plus hanging down on a stalk never impressed me.

I never had any battery issues but some have according to the Dashcamtalk site.

After a lot of research I got a Viofo A119 V2 and subsequently a V3. They are superb little discrete cameras. Never had a single issue, plus they are supercapacitor.

The V3 now has QuadHD @ 60fps. Here is a download link to a sample of mine at 2560x1440P 60fps:

>> Krem Viofo A119 V3 sample <<

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 06:31:31 AM by Kremmen »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2020, 07:16:36 AM »
Looks good. Slightly higher definition than my Nextbase 512G, seen here.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2020, 08:26:23 AM »
I ran my Nextbase dashcams without realising the vibration issue. It was only after reading other posts and looking at the stationary parked windscreen wipers 'video vibrating' and closely looking at how it affected the overall footage I changed.

Initially I went for the Nextbase 380 but the resolution was lower and it has no method of attaching a CPL. Enter the Viofo with a good solid mount, discrete and a dedicated CPL.

Proper Job, and cheaper than Nextbase.

I posted my raw file because the likes of YouTube compress the footage and make it look worse than it is.

Cobb2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2020, 12:38:33 PM »
Im not sure what garmin dash cam you have Drive 123! but I have hardwired a garmin 55 dash cam into another car. This is very small compared to many cameras and this model has the advantage of various driver alerts such as going over speed limits and speed camera warnings. This runs very well on a normal SanDisk SD card.
It is possible to get a 12v accessory splitter into a double socket but it can be a bit cumbersome, or alternatively a single plug with a lead that converts into a double socket which could be hidden.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2020, 03:27:16 PM »
Im not sure what garmin dash cam you have Drive 123! but I have hardwired a garmin 55 dash cam into another car. This is very small compared to many cameras and this model has the advantage of various driver alerts such as going over speed limits and speed camera warnings. This runs very well on a normal SanDisk SD card.
It is possible to get a 12v accessory splitter into a double socket but it can be a bit cumbersome, or alternatively a single plug with a lead that converts into a double socket which could be hidden.

I actually have the Garmin NuviCam and Driveassits 51 which are Satnav but also has a dashcam. They are good but unfortunately as I have to remove it every night, I don't have a park function and so i have been hit and run when it was parked.

TeaTwoSugars

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2021, 05:31:22 PM »
Has anyone who’s had dashcams installed managed to install a rear one on the rear window?

Had a Thinkware F800 pro installed today and the auto electrician who did it was very downbeat about the cable routing for the rear cam.

His exact words were “anything is possible, but the way your car is set up it could easily add 2-3 hours labour to the job because of the lack of trim around the top of the window which usually hides the cable”
“I could spend all afternoon stripping the car down if you want, but it’ll be your money you’d be burning through”.

I went down the route of front camera only in the end.

Anyone had any success in mounting a rear cam on their Mk4 Jazz????

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2021, 05:47:41 PM »
If you're not too bothered about a 2ch system then maybe another 1ch if you have a boot power socket

Tags:

anything