Author Topic: Help needed with Changing Brake pads  (Read 4143 times)

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
Re: Help needed with Changing Brake pads
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2020, 07:54:17 PM »
Good spot. I don't know how I didn't find that listing. Anyway I'm fairly sure it's the exact same part I ordered above, they've just taken the Jazz instead of the civic off the compatibility list for the title.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2020, 04:42:37 PM »
Had a reply from Cox motors about Honda brake pads... confirmed they do not supply the anti-rattle clips ( which we sort of knew ) but do not even supply new bolts any more.

They really have gone in for cost cutting,  makes no sense now to buy Honda pads because they only supply pads and anti-squeal shims for rear of pads,  just like any set from Eurocarparts or ebay .
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 07:29:58 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2020, 11:03:29 AM »
Thanks Culzean,

My new clips arrived. They do indeed look like the ones currently fitted (different to Honda original). I'm waiting on a set of different sized metal files to arrive. I want to be absolutely sure behind the back of the clips is all cleaned up. Hopefully arrive in a day or two and I'll redo the brakes. I'll report back.

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2020, 09:01:22 PM »
**** UPDATE *****

Filed the inside of the calipers and cleaned them right up to smooth bare metal. Painted a thin layer of copper slip and fitted in the new metal clips. Pads now moving more freely. Quick test drive and no noises. Seems to be sorted! I'm back at work tomorrow so just in time.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2020, 09:05:57 PM »
I was under the impression that Copaslip should not be used on vehicles with ABS. White Brake Grease being used instead. Is that the case or not?

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2020, 09:17:48 PM »
I was under the impression that Copaslip should not be used on vehicles with ABS. White Brake Grease being used instead. Is that the case or not?

Not sure?? I put the Copper slip grease between the caliper and metal clips/shims. I also used it on the disc mounting surface with the hub and the wheel. Probably used too much as some sprayed on to the inside of the wheel after the test drive.

I used a 'Proslip' kit that has different grease for the pins, back of pads and the other side of the clips where the pad actually slides. So all in I used four different types of grease!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2020, 09:28:30 PM »

If copper grease gets on ABS sensors it can cause problems,  but sensors not that close to brakes unless the grease drips or flings.  Also copper grease not high melting point - have only ever used it on backs of pads.  Being petroleum based copper grease will swell and try to dissolve any rubber seals or bellows it comes into contact with as well. I only use TRW PFG110 grease on slide pins and the supplied sachet of moly grease on the brake pad ears nowadays - have had a tin of copper grease for years but rarely gets used.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2020, 09:33:25 PM »
**** UPDATE *****

Filed the inside of the calipers and cleaned them right up to smooth bare metal. Painted a thin layer of copper slip and fitted in the new metal clips. Pads now moving more freely. Quick test drive and no noises. Seems to be sorted! I'm back at work tomorrow so just in time.

Happy days.

bus_ter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2020, 09:37:19 PM »

If copper grease gets on ABS sensors it can cause problems,  but sensors not that close to brakes unless the grease drips or flings.  Also copper grease not high melting point - have only ever used it on backs of pads.  Being petroleum based copper grease will swell and try to dissolve any rubber seals or bellows it comes into contact with as well. I only use TRW PFG110 grease on slide pins and the supplied sachet of moly grease on the brake pad ears nowadays - have had a tin of copper grease for years but rarely gets used.

Hopefully it will be ok. I didn't use in on the pins, or any direct contact points with the pad, just the caliper to clip mating surface after I filed and brushed it back to clean metal. I'll see how it all goes and report back on this thread if I have any issues down the line.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2020, 09:52:29 PM »
I use Copaslip mainly out of habit, and because I have several tins of the stuff.

I use dabs on the backs of pads, as Culzean suggested previously. Being copper rich, it soon dries out and does the intended job of sticking the pad to the piston, and caliper on the inside pad. I also put a very thin smear where I have cleaned the calipers, just to seal the bare metal and slow down any further corrosion. On the Jazz, that's behind the shims. You shouldn't need anything on the pad side of the shims, they are smooth to allow the pads to slide - any grease there will only atttract muck to stick.

Hopefully it will be ok. I didn't use in on the pins, or any direct contact points with the pad, just the caliper to clip mating surface after I filed and brushed it back to clean metal. I'll see how it all goes and report back on this thread if I have any issues down the line.

Sounds absolutely fine to me.

cornishpasty

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 ES 1.4iVTEC
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2020, 10:55:09 AM »
Here is a useful guide showing the effect of using the wrong lubricants on brake rubber parts

https://www.frentech-uk.co.uk/useful-information/

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2020, 11:10:01 AM »
Here is a useful guide showing the effect of using the wrong lubricants on brake rubber parts

https://www.frentech-uk.co.uk/useful-information/

Yes - any grease or oil based on petroleum will cause swelling and breaking up of seals - Red Rubber grease ( which I don't use - prefer TRW PGF110 ) is based on plant products - Castor oil IIRC ( but so is Ricin LOL ) - which is where Castrol got its name from ( anyone remember the heavenly smell of Castrol-R racing oil - speedway, moto-x and BSB etc just not the same these days, they don't smell right )

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2020, 06:50:54 PM »
I used Ceratec silicon grease  when I changed pads on Mark 3.. High melting point unlike Copperease which will melt and flow due to braking heat...(If I were a hard driver with frequent braking I would avoid all use of Copper ease near brakes.. I am not a hard driver but loads of hills  ).

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2020, 08:16:12 PM »
Real Copaslip has a a paraffinic base, which is relatively inert and doesn't seem to have a detrimental effect on most rubbers. It isn't recommended for use on brakes however, and is no use where you want lubrication - it isn't intended for that. Silicone greases are the best stuff to use.

It does, however, dry out quickly and stick the pads to the piston and caliper. That's the only place I use it on brakes, and have done for 30 years without any problems.

Tags:

anything