Author Topic: Rear discs and pads  (Read 1815 times)

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
Rear discs and pads
« on: January 11, 2020, 10:52:13 AM »
Im considering changing my rear discs and pads and have been looking at differest prices on the intenet, the EBC sets seem reasonable, what is everybody using on their Jazzes for replacement, and did you buy a rewind tool.

Plasma

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Rear discs and pads
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 11:19:57 AM »
Everyone has their own preferences for discs and pads, I've used Mintex for years and never had any problems.

I've got a rewind tool I've had for many years, it's the cheaper type with only the two sizes, but the smallest side is really still too big for the rear calipers on the mk1. It works, but you have to take care. Not sure it the mk2 are different, as I've not had to do them yet, but I suspect they will be very similar.

Now, I think would invest in one of the 22 piece kits on ebay, they're only about 14 quid delivered, and should cover all your winding back needs.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 11:44:18 AM »
As long as you remember it is a 'RH thread rewind' ( like a common nut and bolt ) rather than a LH rewind.  I got a Laser brand one from Halfords many years ago https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/laser-brake-caliper-rewind-tool  ( the pin plate is reversible with different pin PCD on each side for different pistons ),  but had to file / grind the edge of slotted plate slightly to fit properly into the fiddly little rear calipers on MK2.  When replacing rear pads you will notice little circular raised bumps ( spigots ) on rear of pad backing plate and two slots at 90 degrees across end of hydraulic cylinder piston ( the slots the pins on rewind tool fit into ) of caliper so that the bumps / spigots / bosses fit into those slots,  otherwise if the bumps do not sit in grooves they can result in uneven pressure on back of pad ( don't know if piston rod eventually twists around to sit on bumps properly, but better to try and get them in place to start with ).

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1656592
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:52:37 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

plasma

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 03:21:32 PM »
A very big thank you lads for your help.

Plasma.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 03:48:06 PM »
I had 2 sets of MK2 OEM Honda discs rust away on my wifes MK2 - original set and another set I fitted.  I went over to Eurocarspares eicher discs and brembo pads,  roughly half the price of OEM a few years ago and they have been absolutely fine since,  not rusting away and all good with handbrake etc.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything