Author Topic: Malfunction Indicator Light came on today.  (Read 2217 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Malfunction Indicator Light came on today.
« on: June 05, 2021, 06:45:02 PM »
While joining the M8 at Hermiston Gait this afternoon my low fuel light came on as I left the roundabout and then I noticed the Malfunction Indicator Light had also come on.
I made the mistake of telling my wife and she was all for pulling over to "check". We continued on our way, the car was running smooth, with no reduction in power and still returning great mpg. I checked the engine temperature and the battery voltage and both were fine.
On reaching home and with the engine still running I checked the error code with my ScanGauge E and it was showing P0302 (Cylinder 2 misfire). I cleared it and it stayed clear. Obviously, I will continue to monitor the MIL and hope it doesn't return. Whether the surge in fuel that brought the low fuel light on led to a spot of fuel starvation, who knows. It may just have been a coincidence both came on more or less together.
Plugs were replaced 12,000 miles ago so not quite half their lifespan.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
Re: Malfunction Indicator Light came on today.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 07:06:11 PM »
Drove another 80 miles again today (back on 600 miles/week), and the MIL remained unlit. I hope it was just a one-off glitch.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 04:51:38 PM »
While driving home from Danderhall today I was about 35 miles into my trip when I noticed the MIL flashing then staying out. There were no symptoms I was aware of. I checked the ScanGauge while continuing, and it showed no error codes.
Curiouser and curiouser!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 06:48:42 PM »
It was spoken about on the forum. I accept your apology and hope you will accept mine.

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 07:41:24 PM »
Had the engine malfunction light come on this morning. Took it to dealers and fault cleared on computer. Dealer did a five mile run and no issues. I then drove a few hundred yards and malfunction light on again. Back to dealers. Connected to laptop and issue shown as EGR valve stuck. (Car having covered 1,100 miles).
Apparently this is the third one they have had with the malfunction light on, but usually the reset cures issue.
Mine is now in the garage waiting for a new EGR valve from Honda UK. Luckily I have a loan car

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2021, 07:54:29 PM »
Not too bad when they give you a loaner. My dealer has loaned me a couple of crackers.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 04:40:30 PM »
This morning, a few miles into my trip I thought I felt a misfire. Possibly psychosomatic! I have noticed before that on a very light throttle just moving my toes and it feels like I have throttled back. I put it down to a dirty potentiometer for the throttle position sensor. This has manifested itself for my entire ownership of the car. I kept an eye on the MIL and it never flashed and on completion of my journey I checked for error codes and there were none.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 05:05:18 PM »
Light flashed for a spell today, on a light throttle, though no code generated, so there is a problem of some sort. I am about 1,000 miles past a service so, once I get a chance to get it done I will replace the plugs, even though they were changed a year ago (about 13,000 miles - should be good for 25,000).
If the MIL continues to flash I will have to look at ignition coils.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 08:51:03 PM »
Shot of Redex and clean the MAF? Used to get the EML off on my Octi MK1 for a while.  :D

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 06:43:21 PM »
A couple of days ago I had the light flashing then on my return trip it came on solid. I cleared the code P0302, Misfire cylinder 2, but like last time I felt nothing.
As I bought the NGK spark plugs from Amazon for last year's service I decided to replace them in case I had been sold dodgy copies. I went to Cox and they were selling a full-service kit (plugs, filters and sump washer) at a discount so I bought the kit. Just got to get time to get them changed now.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2021, 07:46:24 PM »
Despite changing the plugs, swapping the front coil packs between 2 and 3 and replacing the rear coil pack 2, I still continued getting the sometimes flashing, sometimes solid, MIL and the code P0302. As I was not experiencing a misfire, had no loss of performance and no drop in fuel efficiency I just decided to live with it. I knew I had a slight exhaust leak (a tiny hole where a support bracket is welded to the pipe, just after the cat) and suspected that could have been a contributory factor. Well, yesterday I had the offending section of exhaust replaced and now no further MIL. Today I covered 178 miles and the car performed impeccably.
It would have been cheaper to replace the exhaust part than the coil pack but at that time I had not detected the hole in the pipe. It was only a week or two further on that I became aware of an exhaust issue. It must have been interfering with an O2 sensor and the ECU saw that as a misfire.

Tags: