Author Topic: Keyless Theft Prevention  (Read 2578 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Keyless Theft Prevention
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2021, 05:56:14 PM »
My wallet has 2 note sections. I use the inner one for notes, when I have any, and the outer has multi-layer bacofoil.

Apparently that will block any probe.

Yeah,  I put bacofoil in spare car slots in my wallet,  one day will get some thin ally sheet and to a proper job with some card sized pieces....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Geordielad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX CVT 2018
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2021, 09:00:08 PM »
My key goes in an old toffee tin at the back of the house. Price? Free.
Have you stood next to the car to see if the tin does the job?
I think you’ll find it makes no difference.
I got this...expensive but beautifully engineered and works a treat.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpha-Shield-Premium-Keyless-Aluminium-
Schwarz/dp/B077JCQFXQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2YLLF9TBH93RS&dchild=1&keywords=vonetti+key+case&qid=1622966624&sprefix=Vonetti%2Caps%2C366&sr=8-1
Sweetie tin works a treat, thanks for asking. This whole thing reminds me of how Curry’s try to upsell fancy HDMI cables and whatnot. It’s all nonsense.
So your 2005 SE Jazz has keyless entry? Very strange.

Geordielad

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2021, 09:06:42 PM »
Myth busted!

One Quality Street sweetie tin, Christmas 2020 edition, with keyless fob inside and the lid on. I went right up to the car on the passenger side with the fob in the tin and could not get the car to open "keyless" in any orientation.
All I can say is I tried the tin trick and the car opened as usual. You must have a better tin!

Geordielad

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2021, 09:19:44 PM »
Myth busted!

One Quality Street sweetie tin, Christmas 2020 edition, with keyless fob inside and the lid on. I went right up to the car on the passenger side with the fob in the tin and could not get the car to open "keyless" in any orientation.
All I can say is I tried the tin trick and the car opened as usual. You must have a better tin.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 09:25:13 PM by Geordielad »

Geordielad

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2021, 09:46:27 PM »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpha-Shield-Premium-Keyless-Aluminium-Schwarz/dp/B077JCQFXQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2YLLF9TBH93RS&dchild=1&keywords=vonetti+key+case&qid=1622966624&sprefix=Vonetti%2Caps%2C366&sr=8-1

Sweetie tin works a treat, thanks for asking. This whole thing reminds me of how Curry’s try to upsell fancy HDMI cables and whatnot. It’s all nonsense.

What was the old saying 'an uninformed person and their money are soon parted'.... :-X
I was going on personal experience. I tried putting the fob in a tin and found I could still open the car. Having a car worth a few bob on the drive I bought the fancy aluminium box to give peace of mind. It’s expensive but very convenient and can be stuck in a pocket if needed. I don’t regret the purchase at all.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2021, 10:19:54 PM »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpha-Shield-Premium-Keyless-Aluminium-
Schwarz/dp/B077JCQFXQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2YLLF9TBH93RS&dchild=1&keywords=vonetti+key+case&qid=1622966624&sprefix=Vonetti%2Caps%2C366&sr=8-1
So your 2005 SE Jazz has keyless entry? Very strange.
My son drives that. I drive a Toyota RAV4.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2021, 10:58:35 PM »
Myth busted!

All I can say is I tried the tin trick and the car opened as usual. You must have a better tin!
Well it is Quality Street.  ;D

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2021, 07:48:49 AM »
I've just been told via the Police OWL message board that this product has just been Police approved :
https://www.hard-off-security.com/

Just going back to that original post, what do you mean by “Police approved”? Is there any sort of independent testing or certification (eg Secured by design or Thatcham)? If so you’d expect the manufacturer to advertise the fact on their website, but they don’t. Or has a passing bobby just said “That looks like a good idea”? I’d want some sort of proof that it actually works as advertised before parting with that sort of dosh, without that it’s just very expensive snake oil.

Kremmen

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2021, 08:23:55 AM »
Here is the OWL message :

Dear Watch Member,

In 2020 a vehicle was stolen every 7 minutes in the UK and the theft of keyless vehicles continues to be a major problem, with keyless theft consistently topping 90% as the means by which cars are stolen (Tracker Network UK).

Hillingdon Neighbourhood Watch (HNW) has been looking at  industry innovations to identify approved products that can combat this type of crime.

Secured By Design is the Police Preferred Specification which provides a recognised standard for all security products that can deter and reduce crime, and so we are pleased to note a new product which has just been officially Police Approved.

The product has been created by a UK company Hard-Off Security Ltd.  It has a one-off cost and consists of a device which physically fits inside the battery compartment of your key fob (and the other inside the spare fob), and is very easy to install.

The device detects movement of the fob, and if the fob has not moved for 20 seconds, it cuts the power to the fob completely – turning it hard off – thereby making “Relay Theft” impossible.  The fob is only activated again when movement is detected, for example when you pick it up to use your vehicle.

As HNW originally suggested obtaining Police Approval for this product, the manufacturer is offering Hillingdon residents a discount of 25% for a limited number of units until 31st July 2021 – the coupon code 25launch is limited to one purchase per household, and the delivery address must be to a Hillingdon postcode.

You can access their website here: Hard-Off Security Website
Let's be careful out there !

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2021, 09:16:22 AM »
Here is the OWL message :

Dear Watch Member,

In 2020 a vehicle was stolen every 7 minutes in the UK and the theft of keyless vehicles continues to be a major problem, with keyless theft consistently topping 90% as the means by which cars are stolen (Tracker Network UK).

Hillingdon Neighbourhood Watch (HNW) has been looking at  industry innovations to identify approved products that can combat this type of crime.

Secured By Design is the Police Preferred Specification which provides a recognised standard for all security products that can deter and reduce crime, and so we are pleased to note a new product which has just been officially Police Approved.

The product has been created by a UK company Hard-Off Security Ltd.  It has a one-off cost and consists of a device which physically fits inside the battery compartment of your key fob (and the other inside the spare fob), and is very easy to install.

The device detects movement of the fob, and if the fob has not moved for 20 seconds, it cuts the power to the fob completely – turning it hard off – thereby making “Relay Theft” impossible.  The fob is only activated again when movement is detected, for example when you pick it up to use your vehicle.

As HNW originally suggested obtaining Police Approval for this product, the manufacturer is offering Hillingdon residents a discount of 25% for a limited number of units until 31st July 2021 – the coupon code 25launch is limited to one purchase per household, and the delivery address must be to a Hillingdon postcode.

You can access their website here: Hard-Off Security Website

As I suspected. There's a reference to "Police approved" meaning "it's listed by SBD" but then the trail becomes a bit murky. How did it get Police approval? Yes, the product is listed on the SBD website but that's a bit lacking in hard facts. The only reference to accreditation is to a Dutch authority (KIWA), and even then the standard applied looks to be some kind of weatherproofing rather than whether the product actually works. When you look at the KIWA website there's no trace of the HardOff Security product (but there are three other products that seem to work in a similar way if you really want something like this). Contrast that with the SBD listing for another better-known company (just for the sake of argument look at the entry for DiskLok) which lists their Thatcham approvals. The absence of any sort of verifiable accreditation claim on the HardOff website is telling.
Caveat emptor.

Tags:

anything