Author Topic: Air con  (Read 4520 times)

Lewo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Air con
« on: June 02, 2021, 07:21:30 PM »
Hi all.
That time of year again... So had the air con regassed this time last year at ATS on one of their offers as it wasn't working.
Afterwards it felt coldish of sorts but not as cold as it used to be. Have used it on and off but probably not enough perhaps but I'm thinking that maybe there was and still is a leak in the system somewhere.....?
I thought they were supposed to do a leak test before recharging? Did they last time.... Or they did and ignored the leak and carried on as normal...?
It does make me think as it wasn't getting as cold as it used to....
Anyhow, I need to get it regassed (somewhere else!) but is there anything I can easily check before I take it anywhere?
There is a local garage I trust or is it worth going to Honda?
Cheers.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Re: Air con
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 07:53:19 PM »
The usual way to do a leak test is to recover all the gas from the system, take it down to a near vacuum, then watch the gauge for a few minutes. Finally the gas charge is filled again to the correct amount.

(I've been watching too many HVAC repair videos.)

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 08:00:42 PM »
Honda will charge approx. double ATS price. Whether it's worth it I don't know  but I doubt it.
Whoever does it should empty the system first before refilling.
You should get a receipt showing what has been taken out and what has been added. This will show if it has been leaking.
It is worth running the air con at least once a week to keep seals moist.
Probably best just to leave it running all the time.

Edit typo
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 08:03:04 PM by JimSh »

Lewo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 10:58:03 PM »
Cheers chaps.
Yes I'm guilty of not running it enough so the seals have probably dried out.
I will leave it on I think for a while and see if that helps.
Is it the condenser rad that's at the front behind the lower part of the bumper if you see what I mean?

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 11:38:16 PM »
Yes. The condenser is right at the front behind the lower grill.

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 06:46:17 AM »
Thread hijack… i know a few people on here leave the air con running all the time to prevent seals drying out etc, in the Jazz manual it states that activating the a/c places an extra load on the engine, does anyone know how this affects performance? Or is it negligible and the benefits of running a/c constantly outweigh this?

JimSh

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 07:16:19 AM »
IMHO the effects on performance and fuel consumption are negligible. Air con is useful not just in warm conditions but in colder wetter conditions clears condensation from windscreen.
I used to only use it for 10 minutes per week to keep it in working condition but now just leave it running.
I think earlier air conditioning systems made heavier demands on engines.

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 07:42:45 AM »
So had the air con regassed this time last year at ATS on one of their offers as it wasn't working.
Afterwards it felt coldish of sorts but not as cold as it used to be.

fwiw, I took up the Groupon/ATS offer (still running) to top up the working aircon in my 57 Jazz about 3 weeks ago.   It was last topped up by ATS six years ago.    ATS couldn't tell me how much gas had been lost as the machine they used was an old machine unlike newer machines.

I used a digital thermometer with wired probe shoved around 6 inches into the centre face level air vent.

Prior to the visit, over a period of a week the lowest recorded temperature recorded was 4.5C.  The compressor could be heard cutting in and out as normal. 

For the days following the regas, the thermometer recorded temps as low as 2.1C.   Note this was over a fortnight ago (outdoor temp around 15C), and BEFORE the current spell of 22-25C warm weather.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 07:57:11 AM by bill888 »
2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 09:43:57 AM »
Thread hijack… i know a few people on here leave the air con running all the time to prevent seals drying out etc, in the Jazz manual it states that activating the a/c places an extra load on the engine, does anyone know how this affects performance? Or is it negligible and the benefits of running a/c constantly outweigh this?

The ECU makes sure that when starting engine and when the accelerator is pressed past a certain point ( overtaking etc ) the compressor is not engaged ( it is a magnetic coil and clutch plate that connects drive from auxiliary belt pulley to the compressor ).  Other than that,  modern compressors are a lot more efficient than older ones and with an 100 BHP+ engine hardly worth worrying about.   You will lose a lot less gas and have fewer problems if you leave AC on all the time.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 11:20:23 AM »
I am amazed at the number of cars driving around with their windows open in the warmer weather, cars that have got aircon. If they believe the same as one of my neighbours that the the effect on the fuel consumption of having the aircon on is too much they won't accept that driving with windows open has as much effect on the fuel consumption plus the car is noisier as well.
To each his own.

Vic.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 11:33:38 AM »
When I bought our Jazz, it was fully functional, very clean and mostly undamaged. That was at the end of 2013. My eldest had it first and he thought he was saving money by not having the air con on. He gave it back in 2017 and the air con was knackered, probably beyond any sensible repair. Now my youngest has it and he uses it mostly as a van for his tiling business. Like most vans of an age, it is covered in scrapes and scratches. Breaks my heart to see the state of it every day. Mechanically though, it will probably go on for years yet.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2021, 11:49:30 AM »
I have just ordered a new Nissens Condenser for our Jazz, the original is gradually disintegrating, which isn’t surprising after 16 years. I will have to have it changed professionally as obviously the gas will have to removed and then refilled.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2021, 11:53:08 AM »
I am amazed at the number of cars driving around with their windows open in the warmer weather, cars that have got aircon. If they believe the same as one of my neighbours that the the effect on the fuel consumption of having the aircon on is too much they won't accept that driving with windows open has as much effect on the fuel consumption plus the car is noisier as well.
To each his own.

Vic.

Totally agree, I run with the Air Con on continuously, set to Auto at around 20c and have done for many years.  Far cheaper than having to mess about with seals and regassing etc.
As others have said, modern Air Con units for far more efficient than previously and any difference in MPG is not worth worrying about.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2021, 01:48:12 PM »
One thing I have noticed, and put it down to trying to achieve MPG, is less efficient aircon.

My old Xantias and my IS200 had climate control and if I dialled in 21C in summer they got down to 21 or 22 and maintained it. Checked on a strategically placed accurate digital thermo, placed out of the sun.

My 2007, 2009 and 2013 Civics, if I dial in 21C it doesn't get below 25/26C and doesn't feel cool inside. The answer is to dial in 19C or lower depending on the sun's strength and manually turn up the fan speed.

All 3 Civics from new so not an old system.

If you really want to kill the aircon hit the Eco button. I did that once and watched the temp in summer, with 21C set, rise above 30C.
Let's be careful out there !

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2021, 02:23:26 PM »
Been there, done it.

Two years ago (May 2019) I had the AC system regassed by ATS using a Groupon voucher. I made the mistake of switching it on/off several times a week to keep it lubricated as and when needed. Last May last year when we had the early hot spell I realised the AC was not working though I cannot be sure when it actually started to fail. I took it back to ATS (May 2020) and got it regassed using a Groupon voucher. They could not detect a leak. However, this time I left the climate control AC setting on full time. This year (May 2021) I can confirm the AC is working but it has always struggled in hot weather and nothing has changed. I suspect there might be a pin prick leak somewhere in the condenser (terrible position under the bonnet with no protection) but I also believe the AC is simply not man enough for the job and I have heard this from other sources.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 02:25:54 PM by MartinJG »

Tags: