Author Topic: New and previous battery run flat in 3-10 days, has this happened to you?  (Read 704 times)

Turns78

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2003 reg
For the last few months my 13V battery runs flat in 3-10 days of not driving. It's been to the garage and following a day of diagnosis they have no idea what the problem is either. I've been monitoring it for over a month, it doesn't coincide with rainfall, no lights are on, doors are closed properly. It was drawing 0.25A, and more recently 0.5A, with ignition off, doors locked or unlocked.  Has anyone else experienced, or heard of this problem before? Any advise much appreciated. 

E27006

• Approved Member
This can be a tough problem to solve, the garage has tried and thrown in the towel.

The approach I would use to meter the current drain, (you quote 0.25 and 0.5 Amps) then pull fuses one at a time, and see if the current flow is affected.

Other than fuse pulls it is a task of disconnecting electrical  modules while monitoring current flow from the battery.

I must admit you have my sympathy with this problem

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
If you are measuring the parasitic drain accurately as 0.25 to 0.5amps then that is very high , are you sure your are correct as it should be between 25mAh and 50mAh which is a tenth of yours. I had a similar problem and I purchased an Amp Hound which can measure current at each fuse without having to remove it, which is very useful. If you are in striking distance of me (North West) you are very welcome to borrow it.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Does your model have a handsfree telephone ?

The 2006 - 2011 Civics often had parasitic drain from a faulty HFT bluetooth module
Let's be careful out there !

Turns78

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2003 reg
Thanks all for your comments, that's really helpful.  My car doesn't have handsfree phone, it doesn't even have remote locking which I guess helps narrow down where the problem lies. Yes unfortunately the readings really is 0.25 are 0.5A, though the last few days it is 0.1A, after the engine management light came on for an ECM fault.  Possibly a coincidence, I don't know.  I'll pull the fuses as suggested thanks.

Tags: