Author Topic: 1.5 Sport  (Read 7931 times)

Basil

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.2 S Mk2 - GG5 & 1.5 Sport Mk3 - GK5
1.5 Sport
« on: May 14, 2021, 02:25:25 PM »
Hi, I've noticed a few Mk3 Sports for sale recently and wondered what they are like, a few members seem to have them so I was just looking for some feedback really.

What are they like to drive, do they feel quick, how flexible is the engine, what's it like on fuel and insurance ? 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: 1.5 Sport
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 06:47:40 PM »
I have always been under the impression the Sport is only a trim level and does nothing for performance. Mind you, a 1.5 after a 1.2 will give a bit more pep.

Basil

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 08:22:51 PM »
The Mk3 sport is 130 hp and 0 - 60 in under 9 seconds, it has the same engine as the HR-V and some Civics use the 180 hp turbo version.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 09:39:17 PM »
Is the 1.5 only available in the Sport?

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 10:28:02 PM »
Is the 1.5 only available in the Sport?

Yes

Mr 8

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Sport Navi
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 07:13:09 AM »
I have had my Sport for three years now; it will be with me for a long time. It is very low geared, it will pootle along at thirty in sixth gear. I have never tried to prove it but I reckon there are mobility scooters with more torque. Where you will find the 130 bhp is in the middle gears above 3000 rpm. It is a normally aspirated 4 cylinder engine and with no turbo, combined with its gearing, it has poor first gear acceleration. Mid range though, is very acceptable. It is not a hot or even 'warm' hatch. Insurance is, in my case, on a par with what I was paying previously for a Skoda Roomster. Fuel consumption hovers around 50mpg. I only use Shell V Power. Happy to answer any questions.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 07:18:08 AM »
When I saw a 1.5 Jazz I had a look but I found the trim level nowhere near the EX so I backed off.

I didn't go for the 1.3 CVT EX because of the poor engine mated to CVT reviews.
Let's be careful out there !

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 08:56:51 AM »
I think they are very good looking. Nice red stripe on the lower bumper and bigger boot spoiler to let you know it's the sporty model. I would like to upgrade to a MK3 in the future, and would certainly put the Sport on the list. Be interested to find out if the ride is any different to a standard model though.

0-60 in 9 seconds is fairly brisk, and I have no problem using revs from time to time.  :D

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/jazz/102456/new-honda-jazz-sport-2018-review

SuperCNJ

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 02:36:17 AM »
We've had the 1.5 Sport for a while now and it is very good overall, performance compared to our old 1.4 Mk1 Sport is noticeably better. It's no hot hatch but there is certainly enough power and torque is decent enough for a Jazz, definitely better than all the other Jazz's I've driven so far.

Fuel consumption is on par with our old 1.4 MK1, not noticeably more thirsty though I'm sure if I worked it out properly it might be slightly worse but given the better performance and driveability its definitely not an issue for us.

Insurance, we're on a multicar deal paying around £400/yr.

There are a few things to be aware of that are small annoyances for us...

1. Squeaky clutch pedal - We had this problem for a little while but then after spraying some lubricant on it it seems to have gone away.
2. Engine hesitancy at just below 2k rpm - Sometimes at a certain rpm below 2k, there seems to be a sudden dip in power which is a little annoying but not a "problem" as such.
3. Rear head room - As the interior trim on the roof curves in, some people will find it touches their head when sitting up straight. I think the car is not as tall as the MK1 so there is definitely less head room because of this compared to our MK1 Jazz.
4. Crosswind stability at motorway speed - This is a problem for all lightweight cars but it seems a little worse compared to our old MK1. When fully loaded with passengers our MK1 was actually reasonably stable whereas with our MK3 sport, it seems a bit more susceptable even when fully loaded.
5. Dash reflection on windscreen - On sunny days, you can see the textured plastic dash reflected on the windscreen which is quite annoying and sometimes distracts you. But we've learnt to live with it.
6. Driver seat, I get a slight backache with the seat after a long drive but doesn't seem to affect my wife so it might just be me.

Other than the above, we love everything else with the sport, the looks, the way it drives, the little gimmicks and so we plan to keep it for quite some time.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 03:03:16 AM »
its got a direct injection engine so may carbon up on the intake valves at higher mileages

also the top speed is the same as the 1.3 even though the 0-60 is quicker

the engine is still used in the mk4 hybrid but is de tuned to 108hp from 130hp

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 10:16:11 AM »
its got a direct injection engine so may carbon up on the intake valves at higher mileages

What can be done about the carbon build up? Higher octane fuel, V-Power etc and regular servicing?

Top speed is of no concern, I'm not going to be doing more than NSL +10% again.  :D

I have read that tyre noise on the motorway is a bit louder than the standard model. I guess a test drive is the best way to determine that. Not many on the market though.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »
....What can be done about the carbon build up? Higher octane fuel, V-Power etc and regular servicing?....
No, fuel type doesn't really help.
The reason for the build up is that with direct injection the fuel goes "directly" into the cylinder, it is not sprayed onto the back of the inlet valves as in port injection which helps clean deposits. The build up is due to a combination of oil down the valve guides (perfectly normal, they need lubricating, valve stem "seals" are actually metering devices to allow just the right minimum amount of oil down the guide), blowby gas carrying oil and contaminants through the crankcase ventilation system ("breather"), and backflow of combustion gas through inlet valves (during overlap and by "internal EGR" using the variable valve timing feature where a certain amount of combustion gas is allowed back to be mixed with incoming fresh air which lowers the NOx and avoids the need for external EGR systems).
I'm not sure whether there are products which can be sprayed into the intake to help clean these deposits, it's an unfortunate aspect of DI gasoline technology.
I haven't looked into how Jazz owners deal with this issue, interested to learn. It was one of the factors I considered before buying the 1.3 Jazz (port injected), had it been GDI it probably wouldn't have been on my list.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 11:01:30 AM by embee »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2021, 12:29:45 PM »
I have read that tyre noise on the motorway is a bit louder than the standard model. I guess a test drive is the best way to determine that. Not many on the market though.
Tyre noise on any car is mainly due to the make and model of the tyre and the width. Of two Bluearth ES32 tyres the wider tyre with the larger footprint will be the noisier. However, a Ying Yang el-cheapo tyre will probably be noisier irrespective of the width. My Bluearth 4S tyres are noisier than the ES32s due to their all-weather capability.

Basil

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2021, 02:14:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies, quite interesting but slightly concerned about the carbon build-up - would a regular blast at high revs help prevent it ?

Are the service intervals the same as the 1.3 and are servicing costs any higher ?

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2021, 02:21:46 PM »

What can be done about the carbon build up? Higher octane fuel, V-Power etc and regular servicing?

Top speed is of no concern, I'm not going to be doing more than NSL +10% again.  :D

not much can be done about the carbon buildup , if you get it you will need the garage to clean it out  as the fuel never passes behind the intake valves as on the 1.3 and keeps them clean

Tags: