Author Topic: Car Reviews  (Read 3303 times)

Expatman

• Approved Member
Re: Car Reviews
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2021, 02:00:59 PM »

HONDA JAZZ AND JAZZ CROSSTAR

Its intermediate acceleration benefits from the electric torque but the elephant in the room is hard to avoid. While the single step gearbox is smooth it gets very noisy whilst revving. The elephant under the room is tyre drumming and bump interference. The Jazz was on 185/55/16 Yokohama BluEarth and the Crosstar had fatter Dunlop 185/60/16 Enasave. Of the two, the Crosstar had the edge for ride refinement.

Whilst agreeing with most of the report, I have to take issue with the above, where in my opinion the this Mk4 Jazz is the without doubt the quietest overall Jazz, that I have had.
Certainly the acceleration is much better than previous, which of course is down to the 2x torque of the electric motor.
Noise is only noticeable, when accelerating hard, maybe on a slip road to join a motorway and that noise is not the gearbox, but is the engine revving hard to provide the extra power for the electric motor.
I would submit that any car would sound louder in that situation.
No. overall this Mk4 is a most relaxing drive and I'm easily beating the quoted consumption figures, (currently showing 830 miles at 68.4 mpg)
What about the claim that the other elephant is road noise from tyre roar? I haven't seen that in other reviews.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2021, 02:48:36 PM »
Here is what it said:
And there's very little that I disagree with.  :)
Hence my comments when I posted this, being fair etc. etc.

Sorry I couldn't scan it as I would need a broadsheet sized scanner, which I don't have  ;D, but someone was all to find the text online.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2021, 05:03:20 PM »

Whilst agreeing with most of the report, I have to take issue with the above, where in my opinion the this Mk4 Jazz is the without doubt the quietest overall Jazz, that I have had.
Certainly the acceleration is much better than previous, which of course is down to the 2x torque of the electric motor.
Noise is only noticeable, when accelerating hard, maybe on a slip road to join a motorway and that noise is not the gearbox, but is the engine revving hard to provide the extra power for the electric motor.
I would submit that any car would sound louder in that situation.
No. overall this Mk4 is a most relaxing drive and I'm easily beating the quoted consumption figures, (currently showing 830 miles at 68.4 mpg)
What about the claim that the other elephant is road noise from tyre roar? I haven't seen that in other reviews.

What tyre Noise?  My Jazz has Yokohama tyres fitted which is the first Jazz owned, Not fitted with Dunlop tyres,  To my mind the Tyre Elephant, is more like a Fluffy Bunny!
You have to wonder whether the person who wrote that review, actually drove the car, or if they did, then what are they comparing it with?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2021, 05:07:29 PM »
A lot depends on the road surface. There is a stretch of road I drive regularly and the noise is terrible. Sounds like I am doing 4,000 rpm in second instead of 1,000 rpm in fifth. It is just the tyre noise from the road surface.

Expatman

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2021, 06:01:54 PM »
A lot depends on the road surface. There is a stretch of road I drive regularly and the noise is terrible. Sounds like I am doing 4,000 rpm in second instead of 1,000 rpm in fifth. It is just the tyre noise from the road surface.
We all know roads like that, usually concrete surfaces are really noisy.
On roads other than the bad stretch is road noise noticeable?

Tags:

anything