Author Topic: Ignition coils  (Read 5686 times)

nadabro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Re: Ignition coils
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2021, 11:07:54 PM »
Just to let you know, ignition coils are much cheaper on autodr website.
I just randomly got the rear x4 changed recently which were the original Hitachi.
If you would like to have them on, Im happy to sell them for a reasonable price for both parties.

I appreciate the offer, but with brexit (i´m from Portugal), the package will be stop on customs.. its time consuming and it will cost a lot.

Today i changed the front ignition coils, from cylinder 1/3 (which was firing the misfire warnings) to 2/4..few minutes later, misfire again on 1/3 cylinder. So pretty sure it´s 1/3 cylinder back ones..

I´m checking on autodoc for ignition coils..Bremi any good? its quite wide range of prices, looking for something not too expensive, but bit affraid of purchasing something cheap and it´s like the chinese ones i purchased on Amazon..

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/spares-search?keyword=30521PWA003&maker_id=45&model_id=4838&car_id=16816 

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2021, 08:24:57 AM »
I got Maxgear rear coils from AutoDoc a year ago £100 for 4. So far (10k miles) so good.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2021, 09:54:17 AM »
I got Maxgear rear coils from AutoDoc a year ago £100 for 4. So far (10k miles) so good.

Just got a Blueprint Track rod / Tie rod end for Civic ( rubber gaiter split, MOT advisory ) from autodoc for £10 + £7 delivery.  Had to laugh,  the part was made in Kent by Bilstein - so went all the way to Germany only to be sent back again.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2021, 08:41:37 PM »
Well, purchased 4 rear ignition coils (Bremi brand)..still getting misfires on cylinder 1 and 3 (at the same time) and cylinder 2 sometimes.
Even replacing 2 front ignition coils with a Chinese ones, doesnt make better/worse.

It looks random, sometimes i'm driving slow, sometimes at regular speed.

Any suggestion?

Bit tired with this issue..thinking leaving the car on a Honda dealer.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2021, 09:53:46 PM »
I have the same problem. Though mine is 2 and occasionally 1 and 3. I have a small hole in exhaust just after cat and I suspect that may be upsetting the 2nd O2 sensor. Until that is repaired I'll live with it. Never feel a misfire, just the light comes on.

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2021, 11:34:18 PM »
Mine also started with 2/4, then started misfire in 1/3 and sometimes in 2.

Just did a 40 minute drive (mountain, off city road, highway)
-light engine popup and got solid in a flat road at 70kmh
-few kms later erased the 1/3 misfires
-few kms later at 50kmh, light engine popup
-few kms later erased the 1/3 misfires
-highway 90kmh, light engine popup and got solid
-erased

Tomorrow is another day.
I also never felt a misfire, but its very annoying.

A few months ago, Honda offered pre MOT inspection, and i mentioned the misfires, he told misfires happens in this Jazz for multiple reasons:

Egr (cleaned 8 months ago)
Sparks plugs (changed all 8, 8 months ago)
Ignition coils (changed 4 rear + tried 2 front)
Fuel Pump
Crankshaft

Almost 2 years with this issue, some months without having a misfire, suddendly, multiple misfires in the same day. The only diference between today and yesterday (no misfires in the last 2 weeks) is the fuel, which i filled. But this gas station is where i always fill.

My best option is the Honda dealer and hope the car misfires a lot while they check ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 11:40:51 PM by nadabro »

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2021, 01:01:17 PM »
I'm not personally familiar with your engine, but in quite a few other cars the crankshaft position sensor would be a suspect. If you haven't already tried this, and it isn't prohibitively expensive, I'd be inclined to try a new CPS if only to eliminate it considering what you have already tried.
Intermittent or gradually deteriorating faults can be very tricky to trace.

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2021, 04:31:35 PM »
Yesterday i went to a Honda dealer with a solid warning light..explained what i have done to fix it.

They suggest on cleaning the EGR valve first. I mentioned that the EGR valve was cleaned a few months back, but they insisted it was the best (and cheapest) bet.

They sent me a video, showing the intake manifold and head cylinder with a lot of carbon, many many years of buildup, never thought there were so much carbon build up. They cleaned it all.

Today made test drive and it looks i have a new engine!
-more responsive
-no rough idle (judder)
-before on accelarating, i had a loud noise (clicking, cricking, cant explain better), now the noise is gone.
-no more engine light (fingers crossed)

Bit early to call victory, but so far the best thing i did was to leave the car on a Honda dealer.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 04:33:30 PM by nadabro »

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2021, 05:40:01 PM »
How much did they charge to clean the egr valve pls?

Yesterday i went to a Honda dealer with a solid warning light..explained what i have done to fix it.

They suggest on cleaning the EGR valve first. I mentioned that the EGR valve was cleaned a few months back, but they insisted it was the best (and cheapest) bet.

They sent me a video, showing the intake manifold and head cylinder with a lot of carbon, many many years of buildup, never thought there were so much carbon build up. They cleaned it all.

-more responsive
-no rough idle (judder)
-before on accelarating, i had a loud noise (clicking, cricking, cant explain better), now the noise is gone.

Bit early to call victory, but so far the best thing i did was to leave the car on a Honda dealer.

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2021, 09:21:04 PM »

The budget for cleaning the EGR was 1.5h of manwork (no parts included, not even a gasket). Around 60€ (Portugal).

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2021, 11:18:30 PM »
Ohh okay,  thought you were from the UK.
I

The budget for cleaning the EGR was 1.5h of manwork (no parts included, not even a gasket). Around 60€ (Portugal).

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2021, 02:43:26 PM »

-more responsive
-no rough idle (judder)

How do they get into those areas to clean, I'm assuming they don't remove the head?
Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2021, 12:32:51 PM »
I suppose they removed the head..

The image is from a MK2 engine, but its similar..

Green arrows points to the parts they showed on the video with a lot accumulated carbon.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2021, 01:13:47 PM »
I would imagine they just removed the inlet manifold. Head would have cost a whole lot more.

Tags:

anything