Author Topic: Which paint colours are easiest to keep clean? (Lost thread)  (Read 11788 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Which paint colours are easiest to keep clean? (Lost thread)
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2021, 06:38:04 PM »
The 504 was a peach of a car and beige was very of its time.
That shows how crap the colour was. It was actually metallic gold. The only car I have ever had with a rusty dipstick! Went to buy a brake cylinder and despite having VIN and chassis number dealer couldn't help. There was a choice of three, all different manufacturers. I had to strip the old cylinder off and take it in and get a match.

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2021, 08:10:58 PM »
That's a classic example of Peugeot spare part mess. Been there, done that. But 504 is really an incredibly comfortable, effortless and relaxing car to drive!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2021, 10:51:49 PM »
But 504 is really an incredibly comfortable, effortless and relaxing car to drive!
It certainly was. Probably the most comfortable car I have ever owned.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2021, 11:01:36 AM »
My current car - shining grey metallic - is the most resistant to dirt showing (it's always there regardless of colour) I've ever had. It also has the benefit of looking glossy when cleaned which the silver cars I've had never did.

That said I think there is definitely something in the view that a bright colour increases visibility. I would have had Milano Red but this was firmly vetoed by SWMBO.
In the MK3, I really like the colour of your car peteo48. It would be my choice when we upgrade. That said though, if the orange version was a grand cheaper at the time I know which would be on the drive!  ;D

I had a 1980 Pug 305 SR. So very beige and so very comfortable. I've run a couple of 308's, and whilst I would agree they are challenging to look at, they drive really well. Peugeot do know how to do comfort even in modern cars. They both had 16" wheels which helps.

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2021, 08:16:07 AM »
I've probably said this before, but different colours fit to different cars. I like my old light truck in orange, but would not want Jazz in that colour.

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2021, 09:30:17 AM »
I've probably said this before, but different colours fit to different cars. I like my old light truck in orange, but would not want Jazz in that colour.

Oh my, that is gorgeous. Lovely colour. 8) A 308D ? 2.4 Diesel non turbo?  Have you had it long? It is in really good condition and looks rust free.

That colour is very popular in Europe for municipal vehicles, like German road works and similar. 

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2021, 10:12:21 AM »
Yes, it's a 308D, meaning max. GVM 3500 kg and 2,3 litre naturally aspirated diesel providing 79 hp. Not really a rocket, especially at full load  ;D But it's really well mannered and relaxing to drive. And 100% computer free bullet proof technology. I think only electronics in this truck is the original Blaupunkt radio.

It has proven to be very useful to haul materials for our house renovation and many other transportation tasks that we have.

It is indeed in very good condition, has very low kilometrage and only little rust. Previous owner performed some very well made repairs and I have been continuing the work. Next thing will be to replace bed floor and get the bed frame sand blasted and painted.

First owner was a roof construction company in Berlin and it was imported to Finland 15 years ago. I found it two years ago.

Originally it was a 3-seater with storage space in the rear part of the cab, but I converted it to a 7-seater with an original rear bench seat. Only feature I'm missing is an air conditioning. It could be built with Mercedes parts, but it'd be such big job that I'm not quite sure.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 10:16:15 AM by TnTkr »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2021, 10:21:45 AM »
A 308D ? 2.4 Diesel non turbo?  Have you had it long? It is in really good condition and looks rust free.

I've got a 307D LWB truck cab with the old 2.4 non-turbo on the yard, it's certainly not rust free though!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 11:16:19 AM by sparky Paul »

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2021, 10:51:09 AM »
Almost all this model of Mercedes vans and trucks do carry significant amount of rust here too. I was just lucky.

Back then we had a need for certain size bed truck and had very tight budget for that. I then picked up best truck available for that money. I didn't know then how good one I actually got. An old man needed to sell it due to health reasons and it was on quite remote location too.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2021, 11:17:26 AM »
Looks superb, they're worth a bit of money here now. Not many left, as the bodies soon succumbed to the rust, but you can still get every repair panel for them over here. The old mechanicals were indestructible though.

Mine's well gone, it's been stood for years... just a single cab, not the 1½ cab like yours, nice that. I think I've got a brand new wheelarch repair panel lying about somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 11:28:58 AM by sparky Paul »

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2021, 02:01:22 PM »
Is that the model where all the van types are being turned into camper vans by new age road warriors?

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2021, 02:08:13 PM »
Is that the model where all the van types are being turned into camper vans by new age road warriors?

Aye, there's a few of those  ;)

Ironically, I think the fact that so many proper campers were built on these chassis cabs has helped keep the parts supply for them so strong. You can still get just about everything.

TnTkr

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2021, 02:29:53 PM »

Aye, there's a few of those  ;)

Ironically, I think the fact that so many proper campers were built on these chassis cabs has helped keep the parts supply for them so strong. You can still get just about everything.
That is true, parts are very well available. But long term spare part support is also very strongly  Mercedes tradition. You can get about everything for 70's W123 Mercs too.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 02:34:20 PM by richardfrost »

Westy36

• Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2021, 05:22:38 PM »
Yes, it's a 308D, meaning max. GVM 3500 kg and 2,3 litre naturally aspirated diesel providing 79 hp. Not really a rocket, especially at full load  ;D But it's really well mannered and relaxing to drive. And 100% computer free bullet proof technology. I think only electronics in this truck is the original Blaupunkt radio.

It has proven to be very useful to haul materials for our house renovation and many other transportation tasks that we have.

It is indeed in very good condition, has very low kilometrage and only little rust. Previous owner performed some very well made repairs and I have been continuing the work. Next thing will be to replace bed floor and get the bed frame sand blasted and painted.

First owner was a roof construction company in Berlin and it was imported to Finland 15 years ago. I found it two years ago.

Originally it was a 3-seater with storage space in the rear part of the cab, but I converted it to a 7-seater with an original rear bench seat. Only feature I'm missing is an air conditioning. It could be built with Mercedes parts, but it'd be such big job that I'm not quite sure.
Mate, that is a thing of beauty. Mercedes of that vintage were built so well, feel like they will last forever. Rust is an issue, and they are getting old now, but your example is  8)  Feel free to post some more photos if you get time, be great to see more of it.  :D

I ran a Transit HiCube for a year. The only van I've ever owned. I bought it from auction when it was 2 1/2 yrs old, and Mrs Westy and me carried out a speedy diy camper conversion and then took it on a 6 month tour of Europe. Loved my Transit. Good van, and our home for 6 months!  :)

It had about the same bhp/tonne as your 308D, so slow and steady. But, as you say, there is a charm to that speed if you have time.

I would like another van, but at the moment the market in the UK has gone crazy. Prices are throught the roof.

@Sparkypaul. Now wondering what other gems you have stashed away?  ;D

Tags: