Author Topic: A nightmare of a journey.  (Read 7308 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: A nightmare of a journey.
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2021, 12:35:02 PM »
I hadn't factored in the tactile side, thanks. That makes sense and completely obvious now you've pointed it out. Doh !!

That's the problem I have with these setups. They look impressive, but Culzean is absolutely spot on, you shouldn't have to look away from the road to adjust basic functions of the car.

I drove a Peugeot with a touch screen, you actually have to navigate through on-screen menus to get to the heater controls. Not being completely familiar with the car, it was difficult enough to use while looking at it, never mind doing it while driving. Crazy. Give me tactile buttons and knobs any day.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2021, 01:54:06 PM »
The touch screen in the new VW Suv we rented was not something I got used to in 1000 miles. I assumed I would get used to it if I owned the car, but as Culzean points out, its the tactile side that lets them down.  :-[

That VW has made me a proper grumpy old Victor Meldrew about tech in cars. It had a daft raft of stuff fitted that had to be turned off each time the car was started. Unwanted tech fitted to modern VW:

1) Lane departure -steers itself back into lane and vibrates the wheel and seats -  ??? Flashing wing mirror icons!
2) stop start - yeah ok. I can turn the key off when idling - turned that off.
3) Boings at you: Window open - eco driving message close windows and use air con! - Jeeese VW, I know about drag.
4) Boings at you: In neutral over 5 mph. Stop it VW. I like to free wheel (engine running) down hills and up to junctions. 
5) Boings at you: Seatbelt off if over 2mph and safety message on dash.
6) Addaptive cruise control: VW decides when it wants to break......grrr stop braking for me..stupid car.
7) Reversing sensors: noisey and I know how to reverse a car.

More stuff Ive forgotten I'm sure, but the 2020 VW was a noisy distracting tech laden distracting expensive thing :D I'm under 50, but the standard tech is clearly designed by 23yr old techies and not aimed at real world experienced drivers.

NB: The VW car rental is run by VWFS, and post rental are retailed under the Das Welt approved used scheme.  :-X

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2021, 04:36:17 PM »
Yesterday I had another nightmare of a journey. On the way to Danderhall, there was a breakdown on the City Bypass and Serena was warning of a 24-minute delay. I used her alternative route through the west of the city and it worked great. Unfortunately, we had to return home in the evening rush hour and she started by sending me into the city (not unusual) but this time she was cutting across from SE to NW. Then the rain started. it was coming down in stair rods, there were huge amounts of surface water, I had no idea where I was and I had little chance of seeing lane markings. Then she took me to a pedestrian/cycle bridge across the canal. When I declined she wanted me to go around the block and try again! I had an idea of the direction I wanted to take so once I made my detour she picked up and selected a route. By this time the traffic was solid, the rain was almost solid, and SWMBO was swearing at Serena.
The sat nav added about an hour to my journey, over taking my normal route, suffering the traffic on the Sheriffhall Roundabout and the City Bypass.
Serena is in the dog house.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2021, 05:59:06 PM »
Live traffic and re-routing is a mixed blessing. The driver needs to be able to see the whole of the proposed diversion before accepting the alternative. Plus there's the problem that if a lot of traffic re-routes to the same less roads then they will quickly jam up.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2021, 06:32:22 PM »
The law specifically defines  an offence of using a hand-held mobile phone while driving in practically all circumstances of driving,
In the case of touch screens for controls, dedicated Satav  , ( ie not a mobile phone running a satnav  app) that is not an offence  until the safety of  your driving is reduced  when it becomes an offence.
In the case of a mobile phone device  running a satnav app, in the opinion of the Chief of  London Police,  the device is  a mobile phone and an offence of using a hand-held  mobile phone while driving is committed

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2021, 06:39:46 PM »
My mobile phone is held in a cradle. it is set before I set off and is not touched again until I arrive at my destination.
I don't give a toss what the Chief of London Police says or even does. I am not breaking the law in Scotland, or the rest of the UK as far as I am aware.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2021, 08:46:57 AM »
The law specifically defines  an offence of using a hand-held mobile phone while driving in practically all circumstances of driving,

No it doesn’t. We’ve been round this buoy before. See this:
https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law
There would only be an offence if you had it in your hand whilst driving. It is perfectly legal to use a phone or satnav whilst driving provided it’s in a holder, it doesn’t obscure the driver’s view, you use it hands free, and (in the case of a satnav) set it up before driving. Whether that’s a good idea or not is a debatable point, but it isn’t illegal.

The law is stricter for a phone than for a built-in satnav, because you’re not even allowed to touch the phone whereas you can fiddle away with the car’s touchscreen to your heart’s content.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2021, 07:09:52 PM »
Today I had another trip across Edinburgh so I decided to go my way, not Serena's. She was very insistent but I ignored her. Big mistake.
There was an accident on the City Bypass and I got stuck in the traffic. Ended up following her route but a 20 minute trip took me 50 minutes so I offer her an apology.

Tags:

anything