Author Topic: Intelligent Speed Limiter  (Read 11818 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Intelligent Speed Limiter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 04:20:03 PM »
If the speed limit is shown in a red circle it is the law.

These ones

are advisory.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 04:34:40 PM »
All round signs with a red boarder are mandatory as are triangles with a red border that stand on their apex.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2019, 09:17:12 AM »
I have just collected a speeding ticket for doing 36 in a 30 limit on a road I know well and drive along several times a week  :(. No idea why I was speeding that day, but the intelligent limiter would definitely have prevented this one.

My limiter will be on in future. :'(

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2019, 09:42:30 AM »
I’ve never tried the intelligent speed limiter but this thread has got me thinking my road sign recognition display is mostly blank as there aren’t enough speed signs for it when it does pick up a sign it is often wrong eg on a regular journey in a 50 limit it picks up a 30 sign on an adjacent road also when pulling out of my works car park with the 5 mph limit indicated on  the dash what will happen? Can it be easily overridden? Wouldn’t like to try it as that max speed would be interesting pulling out on to a main road 

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2019, 09:59:53 AM »
I’ve never tried the intelligent speed limiter but this thread has got me thinking my road sign recognition display is mostly blank as there aren’t enough speed signs for it when it does pick up a sign it is often wrong eg on a regular journey in a 50 limit it picks up a 30 sign on an adjacent road also when pulling out of my works car park with the 5 mph limit indicated on  the dash what will happen? Can it be easily overridden? Wouldn’t like to try it as that max speed would be interesting pulling out on to a main road

It is very quickly overridden with a dab on the button. It can also be overridden by flooring the accelerator but in my experience this is slow and unnecessarily dramatic.

I drive along the A38 dual carriageway where there is a service road with a 30 mph limit which the Jazz camera sees. It  doesn't suddenly slow you up or do anything dangerous. It lifts the throttle, just as if you lifted your right foot, and also beeps because you are going over 30. Quick dab on the cruise control button turns off the limiter...or of course you can turn off the limiter at the start of a long dual carriageway section.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2019, 10:54:15 AM »
I use mine all of the time.  The trick is not to rely on it but just use it as a backup.

A quick dab and release of the accelerator to the floor is a good way to temporarily override. It doesn't give the engine time to respond but leaves the limiter in a state where it will start operating again once your speed falls below the displayed limit.

It only functions down to 20 mph so a 5 mph limit will not effect it.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »

A quick dab and release of the accelerator to the floor is a good way to temporarily override. It doesn't give the engine time to respond but leaves the limiter in a state where it will start operating again once your speed falls below the displayed limit.

As I said this is not my experience. I find it slow to bottom the accelerator to point where it overrides. Maybe my car is set slightly differently for yours.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2019, 12:44:47 PM »
My Jazz, albeit MT, was exactly the same.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2019, 12:53:14 PM »
Quite likely that pushing the accelerator to the floor may be a completely different experience in Manual Transmission than my CVT.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2019, 01:21:44 PM »
Quite likely that pushing the accelerator to the floor may be a completely different experience in Manual Transmission than my CVT.
I agree.  Mine HR-V is a CVT though.  It's probably down to technique.  I give it a very quick hard dab right to the floor and release it immediately.  As you said before though it would be dramatic if not done quickly.  Skyrider, who was a regular poster, had a Jazz Sport and described it as a "scolded cat" manoeuvre.

Victor Delta

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid 2021
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2021, 05:17:09 PM »
Just getting used to our new Honda Hybrid and found this thread very helpful re the Intelligent Speed Limiter facility. I have now set this so the LIM and lollipop sign appears on the dash screen, but what I find slightly strange is that it appears to let me wander over the nominal speed. So say when in a 30mph area with the 30 sign showing on the dash screen, gentle pressure on the accelerator still enables me to go up higher than 30 (say to 35, haven't tried to push it even faster yet)? Is this right, ie does the system only 'gently' keep one to around 30 or would it appear the system is not working correctly?

Would be grateful for any comments from experienced users! Many thanks.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2021, 06:05:47 PM »
In my Mk 3 I have found a definite limit even when pressing the accelerator further.  I would have to floor the accelerator to over-ride it.  Also, an alarm sounds if the speed accidentally exceeds the limit on a downhill stretch.

Andyjm15

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 SE manual. Lunar silver
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2021, 06:35:04 PM »
I can’t creep over the limit the car has detected. The accelerator does absolutely nothing once that limit is reached. The car will not brake for you though, so even a gentle hill will cause speed to increase. Even then you should be hearing the beeping once you get to 31 in a 30 for example. If you’re not, the system is either not set properly or it is malfunctioning.

One interesting, but in hindsight entirely predictable, malfunction I had the other day was a complete failure to read any signs. The cause was a petal off one of those blossom trees sticking to the windscreen in exactly the right place to blind the camera, so check the windscreen before setting off.

ColinS

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2021, 07:47:21 PM »
Just getting used to our new Honda Hybrid and found this thread very helpful re the Intelligent Speed Limiter facility. I have now set this so the LIM and lollipop sign appears on the dash screen, but what I find slightly strange is that it appears to let me wander over the nominal speed. So say when in a 30mph area with the 30 sign showing on the dash screen, gentle pressure on the accelerator still enables me to go up higher than 30 (say to 35, haven't tried to push it even faster yet)? Is this right, ie does the system only 'gently' keep one to around 30 or would it appear the system is not working correctly?

Would be grateful for any comments from experienced users! Many thanks.
I think you have not pressed the res button.  If you have set it correctly, the letters MPH will appear to the right of the lollipop sign.  It should not allow you to creep above the limit using the accelerator.

Victor Delta

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid 2021
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2021, 07:02:23 PM »
I think you have not pressed the res button.  If you have set it correctly, the letters MPH will appear to the right of the lollipop sign.  It should not allow you to creep above the limit using the accelerator.
ColinS - Thank you so much. You're absolutely right. I pressed the 'res' button and it all turned green and mph appeared on the right. Easy when you know how!  :)

Tags: