Author Topic: Speed camera navigator  (Read 1191 times)

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV
Speed camera navigator
« on: October 30, 2021, 09:06:59 PM »
Hello,
the navigator of the car should be a Garmin, but in reality on the Garmin website it is not indicated as a model, so I would like to ask you exactly what model is it?
and to install any speed cameras which programs are there or used?
I am in Italy but I can't find anything.
Thanks for the info.

Pogglefish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda HR-V Adv. Style in Sand Khaki
Re: Speed camera navigator
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 11:55:14 PM »
The Garmin system OEM to the Jazz has already come in for a fair bit of criticism on these forums for having (in the U.K. at least) no traffic data and further for not being able to sync with Garmin Drive to get it. I can confirm it cannot see speed cameras either (which are presumably carried on the traffic data?). Not sure if that would also apply in Italy but I would not be surprised.

The best workaround come up with so far (although please, my fellow Jazzers, correct me if I’m wrong here) is to use Google Maps if your phone is an Adroid or Apple Maps if your phone is an iPhone. Both carry live traffic and camera data and are as good as each other; using them with their respective car plays also allows directions to sync to the the speedo screen.

With any luck Honda will issue some updates before very much longer so that their OEM satnav becomes more useful.

-Pogglefish

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 03:18:50 AM »
My speed camera solution is to use 'Speedtrap Alert'

It uses the PocketGPSWorld database that is updated weekly. STA is an Android app that works via Bluetooth via the car headunit.

When approaching a camera it mutes the car audio, issues the alert, then returns the audio.

Because it issues verbal alerts, and takes priority, you don't need to keep watching. It announces the camera type and speed and if you are going too fast it keeps telling you.

I like it.
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 09:45:09 AM »
My speed camera solution is to use 'Speedtrap Alert'

It uses the PocketGPSWorld database that is updated weekly. STA is an Android app that works via Bluetooth via the car headunit.

When approaching a camera it mutes the car audio, issues the alert, then returns the audio.

Because it issues verbal alerts, and takes priority, you don't need to keep watching. It announces the camera type and speed and if you are going too fast it keeps telling you.

I like it.

I used to get pocketworld for my Garmin many years ago,  but found that the satnav was 'freezing' ( the car wasn't moving on the map etc. ) and when resetting the satnav there was always a speed alert screen active 'under' the map screen - so stopped using their CSV POI files.  Maybe it has improved now,  but latest Garmin I have can be set to show speed limit and show it in red if you are going faster, i also bongs when coming up to a lower speed limit ( and also for speed cameras, and shows the type of camera in a ribbon across top of screen ).
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 11:44:42 AM »
I've never had any problems with any of my recent Garmin's. Currently using a DS61.

I don't use the neat PGPSW .CSV database though. I run it through my Converter that turns CSV into GPX that gives far more control :

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 11:53:00 AM »
I think it was the lack of processing power on the earlier garmins that was the problem,  it used the pocketworld CSV  as a POI database.  I always kept Garmin on 'least map detail' to try to help it along,  but sometimes it still froze up.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 12:32:35 PM »
Yes the older ones were short on memory/disk space.

I still use mine for the traffic.

Tags:

anything