Author Topic: Road holding  (Read 1172 times)

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
Road holding
« on: April 13, 2021, 12:38:08 PM »
Hi,
My jazz cvt is 10 years old and done around 65,000 miles but I must say the roadholding is less than impressive, it doesn't  like sweeping bends at all. I've  had several cars around this size and they all handled better, any ideas for improvement, it has Michelin tyres,
Chris

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Road holding
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 01:20:12 PM »
My 136,000 mile, 2006, S, holds the road like a leech. I am running on Yokohama Bluearth 4S - all-season tyres.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 01:27:37 PM »
Maybe you should look at your tyres and have the tracking checked.
I’ve had 4 Jazz cars and never had the problem that you describe.
My only problem I’ve had, related to steering has been a tendency to wander on motorways, on the Mk2 Jazz, cured with the later models.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 02:22:02 PM »
The Jazzes I have owned have all been decent as opposed to outstanding from the road holding perspective although I admit I rarely take any car these days to the limits.

I don't think the Jazz is the best in its class for road holding - the Ford Fiesta seems to take all the driveability plaudits - but I don't necessarily recognise the issue raised by chrisv.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 02:32:59 PM »
Well there'll be no hand brake turns in the Mk4!

geoffchats

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 02:35:34 PM »
Hi,
My jazz cvt is 10 years old and done around 65,000 miles but I must say the roadholding is less than impressive, it doesn't  like sweeping bends at all. I've  had several cars around this size and they all handled better, any ideas for improvement, it has Michelin tyres,
Chris
I have a 2009 Jazz EX with I-shift...and I have never felt anything other than total confidence in the roadholding. I suspect that your issues are as a result of tyre pressures (I run my Toyo Proxes CF2s, cold, at 2.1-bar front and 2.2-bar rear) or perhaps a fractured spring or failed damper? Any of these issues could cause the symptoms you describe but I guess it could also be failed bush(es) in the suspension or a deformed wheel or failed wheel bearing?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 03:07:12 PM »
I have my tracking checked anytime I buy new tyres or have work done on the steering/suspension. It is cheaper than tyres.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 09:05:36 AM »
I manage to out corner most folk in my Jazz when I'm in the mood. It's a typical safe front wheel drive chassis. With its narrow tyres, the grip limits aren't infinite, but it sure does hang on well.

Could it be the auto box? With a manual, I can select the correct gear and use power to aid control. Not tried the CVT Jazz, but could that be part of the problem?

My Jazz has Michelin ES too. Might be worth looking at the DOT code on the tyre? Old tyres do not perform as well.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 09:07:18 AM by Westy36 »

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 03:47:34 PM »
My Jazz is the same model as yours Chris, I have no complaints about the road holding, certainly it is no sports car but it wasn't designed as one. Tyre pressures are important but that applies to any car. I do not believe that being a CVT is relevant, I have owned both manual and CVT versions of the same model and did not notice any difference in the handling. I suggest that you have another check on the tyre pressures. I had a pressure gauge that slowly developed a fault that meant that I was gradually inflating them to higher and higher pressures, this certainly affected the handling in that it made the car more 'twitchy', the fault was spotted when the car was serviced. Reducing them to the correct pressures, the manufacturers spec, solved the problem.

Vic.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 06:54:37 PM »
As others commented, pop along to local tyre place that has 4 wheel alignment.
If all ok look at the DOT numbers on the tyre wall any odd numbers diffrent.
If older than 7 years check depth nor to 2mm ditch & change ideally in pairs, best tyres on rear these days.
Pressures can be raised then check the response & adjust accordingly.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 08:04:28 AM »
In order of ease of doing:

Tyre pressures
Tyre inspection for cracks/bumps/bulges
Check shock absorbers for leaking fluid. (replacement if leaking)
Check wheels = when jacked up - up and down for wheel bearing - sideways for steering. There should be minimal play.
Then tracking checked.

Tags:

anything