Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 1170 times)

Indigo68

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2 Cool
Brakes
« on: March 29, 2021, 06:26:14 PM »
Hi Guys,

Is there someone here who has chanced the brakes discs and pas for something with more "bite"?
I'am running on Brembo discs in combination with Ferodo pads, but the discs seem to be a bit wobbly, not on the paddle, but with the car in neutral approcing a traditionele Light with my foot slightly on the paddle.....
I'am curieus if Mtec C-hook with Mintex pads are a good option.
Someone running this combi here?
Any other suggestions are welcome.....

Tnx so far!

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 08:01:20 PM »
Hi Guys,

Is there someone here who has chanced the brakes discs and pas for something with more "bite"?
I'am running on Brembo discs in combination with Ferodo pads, but the discs seem to be a bit wobbly, not on the paddle, but with the car in neutral approcing a traditionele Light with my foot slightly on the paddle.....
I'am curieus if Mtec C-hook with Mintex pads are a good option.
Someone running this combi here?
Any other suggestions are welcome.....

Tnx so far!

A lot of Jazz owners on here seem to think the OEM pads and discs have too much 'bite' - but don't go too far down the pagid ceramic 'racing pads' route because they do not work very well until they get hot,  which if you are driving for economy they never should get too hot - and it can come as a nasty surprise when you hit the brakes when they are cold and not much happens..... :o  I fitted Eicher discs and Brembo pads from Eurocarparts last time I replaced discs and pads on my wifes MK2,  they are fine, and don't cost a couple of body parts.  I would guess there aren't many long steep hills in Netherlands  :-X
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 08:03:42 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 08:16:35 AM »
I replaced the original pads with Brmbo (original disks) and had no issues  for 16k miles.
I also changed all the tinware and carefully greased all moving surfaces with HT silicon grease.

You may be suffering from dirt build up , or sticking pistons due to corrosion.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 09:54:51 AM »
Pad material gets transferred to the disc surface. Sounds to me like you may have either uneven transfer or there has been some contamination. The solution to that is to thoroughly clean the disc surfaces with brake cleaner or possibly even an abrasive to cut through any surface deposit.
If there is stubborn visible rust then you will find it difficult to get even braking. Discs from motor factors (in the UK anyway) are not expensive and should be considered to be consumables.

You then benefit from doing a proper brake bedding procedure, do repeated braking from progressively higher speeds while increasing the braking force each time, gentle to begin with working up to quite hard braking. They really need to get quite hot to properly bed-in. You can find this procedure described on various websites. Normal driving doesn't usually reach these conditions.

It could be that the pads are too hard for road use, competition pads are usually not good for light use as Culzean says.

It is of course possible that the discs are not true, or the hub face on which they sit is corroded or not flat. Careful examination will show this, if you suspect the disc run-out it needs a dial gauge setting up to measure it, and use a micrometer to measure the thickness round the disc to ensure it isn't uneven.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 09:57:16 AM by embee »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 10:22:05 AM »
It is of course possible that the discs are not true, or the hub face on which they sit is corroded or not flat.

I was thinking something similar when the OP says

but the discs seem to be a bit wobbly, not on the paddle, but with the car in neutral approcing a traditionele Light with my foot slightly on the paddle.....

Sounds like classic rear disc run out symptoms.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 11:17:21 AM »
As embee says pad material can get unevenly transferred to disc face and cause wobbly braking, so look for an uneven surface finish on the pads and clean off with fine wet and dry emery,  and of course discs can warp,  if this happens on one or both front discs it causes shaking of steering wheel under medium to hard braking, and a 'thumping' on pedal, similar to ABS pulsing. Of course with lower mileage the discs can get rust on the surface, although this normally results in a 'grinding' noise when applying brakes and goes away after a short drive.   Adhesive pads need bedding in to ensure an even coating of material on the disc.

https://www.carbibles.com/how-to-bed-in-brakes/

I don't know how many people realise there are two main different types of brake pads,  adhesive and abrasive - the adhesive type transfer material to the disc and the abrasive ones keep the discs clean.  There are also different types of  disc ( or 'rotor' in USA ) materials,  from cast iron to steel and various coatings. 

https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/brakefriction/
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 11:24:57 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: