Author Topic: Stalling when changing from N to D  (Read 1359 times)

marceljourde

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SE
Stalling when changing from N to D
« on: June 17, 2021, 10:29:17 AM »
I'm new to the Jazz world, and really like my 2003 SE automatic a lot. This forum is great for advice.

My problem is this:

Starting the car is fine, and the idle soon settles to around 1000 rpm. When changing to D, however, the engine splutters and almost stalls, then recovers to around 700 rpm, although it is clearly struggling (revs going up and down for a few seconds). When the engine is warm, changing from N to D will always make the engine stall. Driving is generally fairly smooth, although I think there is some hesitation when accelerating.

Things I've tried (I'm very much an amateur):

-  cleaned EGR valve
-  changed spark plugs (the previous ones were quite white - perhaps because changed by previous owner relatively recently, or a lean mixture?) and air filter
-  bled coolant
-  visually inspected for vacuum leaks (but I haven't done a proper test)
-  cleaned throttle valve
-  did an idle relearn a couple of times

One thing I've noticed is that the PCV hose on top of the engine is quite compressed, and I suspect the PCV valve is not working (I couldn't hear it working when I pinched the hose) - could that be the problem?

The mechanic I usually go to thinks it is the throttle body, or one of the sensors attached to it. He was going to fit a reconditioned body, but unfortunately is ill at the moment. Is the throttle body the likely cause?

Any suggestions about what to try next would be very welcome.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
Re: Stalling when changing from N to D
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 11:02:26 AM »
My guess would be transmission issue rather than engine per se.

Try a read through https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=94.0 , you might consider a transmission fluid change first using the CORRECT type. Genuine Honda fluids an be got from dealers, or online from such as https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/

marceljourde

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 12:44:49 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that next.

Looking at the thread, it looks like I'll need a couple of 4 litre CVT-F fluid to do a flush and refill. There's lots of advice about how to do it, so I'll have a go myself.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
Stalling when changing from N to D
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 01:29:16 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that next.

Looking at the thread, it looks like I'll need a couple of 4 litre CVT-F fluid to do a flush and refill. There's lots of advice about how to do it, so I'll have a go myself.
Yes, you will need 2 x 4 litres. XADO EX120 was added to mine after the flush just for belt and braces as I was having the common CVT juddering problem, smooth as silk since 3k miles later.

https://xado.co.uk/revitalizants/ex120/revitalizant-ex120-automatic-transmission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 03:20:10 PM »
All the favourable reports on XADO Ex120 refer to earlier CVT models. Has anyone tried it in a post 2011 model when  the CVT box returned together with a torque converter instead of a starter clutch?

Vic.

marceljourde

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 01:51:19 PM »
Thanks for the XADO tip - will try that too.

Tags: