Author Topic: Loud engine noise - sudden  (Read 2639 times)

Lozasril

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 2005
Loud engine noise - sudden
« on: May 14, 2021, 08:56:59 AM »
Hello,

I have owned my second hand 2005 jazz, manual, for about 5 years now with no issues until now.

Today when I was about to drive to work I noticed the motor (or something in the area) was making an extremely noise. Good old same motor noise, just a whole lot louder. Like a good old 60's car.

The car was completely fine yesterday and since I park outside I suspected some sort of tampering/vandalism, but found nothing suspicious under the hood.

I was late and had to drive to work today. During the drive I noticed the noise gets louder the more I accelerate/the higher the rotations, and goes away when I press the clutch pedal all the way down.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
Re: Loud engine noise - sudden
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 09:51:50 AM »
Did you look under the car to check that the catalytic converter was still there?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 09:54:22 AM by ColinS »

Lozasril

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 10:24:06 AM »
No, I didn't. Going to check as soon as I get back to the car. Thanks!

If it wasn't so sudden I was thinking it could be something to do with the clutch/gearbox since the noise goes away when I push the clutch pedal all the way down and the only issue I had with the car was a problem shifting gears that was solved after bleeding the clutch and replacing the clutch pump about 6 months ago.

Lozasril

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 07:03:15 PM »
**** me, the cat is gone.

Thanks, solved.

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 07:38:11 PM »

Thanks, solved.

Gutted! Thieving gets.  >:(

bus_ter

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006 Jazz SE
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2021, 10:55:06 PM »
Unfortunately this is becoming incredibly common.

There was a video on Facebook recently (conveniently a CCTV caught it all), on a very busy street. Nobody seemed bothered. They either assumed someone was just working on their car? Or they didn't want to get involved.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 09:01:16 AM »

Thanks, solved.

Sorry to hear of that. Thieving b******s.

The are lots of posts on here about replacement aftermarket cats to help.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 06:23:11 PM »
Is there no end to this? I feel sorry for you, I think it's the number one reason 2002-08 cars are being written off. I hope you are back on the road soon.

I've invested in a Catloc, which will hopefully be fitted next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lozasril

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 11:30:09 AM »
Thanks everyone, the story had a happy ending though.

I was lucky to get robbed by stupid thieves with a conscience. Just as stupid as me, I guess.

The cat is fine. Attached is the photo of the stolen "cat". They actually stole the front exhaust box/muffler part , thinking it was the cat. When they figured out their mistake, and that what they had was worthless, they put the the part back in the area where my car was parked, and I found it today. It was in perfect display, wiped clean.

Currently I'm at a specialized garage getting it welded for a fraction of the cost of a new cat (even an aftermarket one).

Oh, and I'm getting a garage.

UKjim

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 Jazz Sport - Brilliant Sporty Blue
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 11:34:37 AM »
Thanks everyone, the story had a happy ending though.

I was lucky to get robbed by stupid thieves with a conscience. Just as stupid as me, I guess.

The cat is fine. Attached is the photo of the stolen "cat". They actually stole the front exhaust box/muffler part , thinking it was the cat. When they figured out their mistake, and that what they had was worthless, they put the the part back in the area where my car was parked, and I found it today. It was in perfect display, wiped clean.

Currently I'm at a specialized garage getting it welded for a fraction of the cost of a new cat (even an aftermarket one).

Oh, and I'm getting a garage.
Almost laughable under the circumstances, pleased you are getting it sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 12:20:50 PM »
Really pleased for you finding that, and yes, it shows there really are some thimble-brained criminals out there. You couldn't make it up.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 11:16:15 AM »
Today I was parked in a quiet street waiting while my wife did a bit of shopping. A tatty van pulled past me a few feet, sitting beside another parked car and I guy jumped out of the passenger seat with tools in hand. He came towards my car then spotted me sitting in it. He put his hand over his face, hurried back into the van, and they shot off, turning the wrong way up a one-way street.
I contacted the police, gave them the details, and gave them the dashcam video (the camera was running as I was listening to my tunes). Stupid tw@t$. If nothing else they might get him for careless driving!

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 11:28:13 AM »
Today I was parked in a quiet street waiting while my wife did a bit of shopping. A tatty van pulled past me a few feet, sitting beside another parked car and I guy jumped out of the passenger seat with tools in hand. He came towards my car then spotted me sitting in it. He put his hand over his face, hurried back into the van, and they shot off, turning the wrong way up a one-way street.
I contacted the police, gave them the details, and gave them the dashcam video (the camera was running as I was listening to my tunes). Stupid tw@t$. If nothing else they might get him for careless driving!

Well done you. :D
Sad to see it's spread to up here .
Was this Embra or Kirkcaldy?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 12:19:16 PM »
Kirkcaldy.

KJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2003 P reg
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 05:50:51 PM »
Welcome to the Stolen Catalytic Converter Club! The thieves can get under and whip out the cat in seconds, gone before anyone notices. Same as you, I got into my Jazz at the park and ride one afternoon to find a massive noise. Get a ceramic cat and they'll leave you alone. It's a serious crime that has no comeback to the thieves.

Tags:

anything