Author Topic: Ignition coils  (Read 5630 times)

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2006
Re: Ignition coils
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2021, 06:53:38 PM »
So Brembo rear coils in Euro carparts are like £50 after the discount and with Autodoc its £25 after the discount with same Brembo brand. They also has many other cheaper brands.
I queried this previously to know what brand I should be going with and i was told it doesn't really matter. But they all recommends NGK spark plugs.

Sparky paul had given you the correct website! It's really cheaper coils on there.
Ive removed my x4 rear original Hitachi for the sake of it and its on Ebay now for £30 or so. I'm just guessing there's still more life left on them as my car is only 81k miles atm.

In general Autodoc stuff takes on average 3 weeks to get to the UK and they says the Brexit and the covid restrictions are affecting the speed of deliveriesvas the stuff are coming from Germany.

If you decides to change the rear coil packs, buy it from Auto Dr. They are super cheap! Ive bought x4 Brembos in December for half price than the UK companies!
Can you perhaps post a link to that website please?
Thanks, what quality are their Coils like?
Some people say only the Hitachi coils are worth buying.

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2021, 06:57:45 PM »
Ive ordered rear left caliper, from Autodoc 3 weeks ago and did not get affected by the post brexit tax stuff. I think the stuff coming from the Europe are still not affected by the tax man for personal use purposes atleast

In general Autodoc stuff takes on average 3 weeks to get to the UK and they says the Brexit and the covid restrictions are affecting the speed of deliveriesvas the stuff are coming from Germany.

Just bear in mind the import duty/VAT aspect for orders from the EU into the UK, and the relevance of the country of origin of the items.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2021, 07:18:43 PM »
Ive ordered rear left caliper, from Autodoc 3 weeks ago and did not get affected by the post brexit tax stuff. I think the stuff coming from the Europe are still not affected by the tax man for personal use purposes atleast

If they are set up properly at the other end, they should be registered with HMRC and pay the VAT on your behalf. A lot of smaller suppliers have just given up selling to the UK due to the complexity and expense of registering.

Stuff is taking longer from Germany, I had something sent over last week via Deutsche Post - normally takes 3-4 days, it took about 12 days.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 07:36:27 PM by sparky Paul »

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 07:55:42 PM »
It depends on value and origin etc. Can be complex, just be aware of what it might mean if buying from the EU. It might still be significantly cheaper than buying in the UK, but might not.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jan/21/eu-website-purchases-the-import-charges-uk-customers-have-to-pay

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2021, 08:22:18 PM »
I agree, it is complicated, and a bit of a minefield currently.

Stick to suppliers that are registered with HMRC and take the VAT at source and you should be okay. Otherwise, you are under the same rules as imports from RoW - VAT, plus import duties for items over £135, plus any handling fees.

As for whether you escape any import fees, I guess the same sort of regime will apply that already exists for RoW - if it's delivered by RM, it's pot luck as only a minority are checked. If it's delivered by a courier, virtually everything goes through customs and get caught.

edit: I'm not even sure about RM items escaping fees now, things are being certainly being delayed, so evreything could be going through the mincer.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 11:09:44 AM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 07:13:48 AM »
I bought an item from the US. Item cost £4.80. I was charged 96p VAT. Plus a £14 handling charge by the Post Office. If I hadn't waited a month for it, I would have just refused delivery.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2021, 11:06:00 AM »
I bought an item from the US. Item cost £4.80. I was charged 96p VAT. Plus a £14 handling charge by the Post Office. If I hadn't waited a month for it, I would have just refused delivery.

I don't know where they got the £14 from, current handling charge is £12 for Parcelforce, £8 for RM.

What I posted earlier is incorrect. The last I heard, LVCR (the £15 exemption) was being retained for private individuals, and being abolished for business buyers - this has changed, and it's gone for everybody from 1st January - so all commercial imports are indeed liable for VAT, regardless of value. Plus the handling fee, of course.

I've got a sub-£15 value component delivery from China 'in flight' so to speak, so we'll see what happens. Items invoiced before 1st Jan should not be charged.

What a mess  >:(

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2021, 11:09:48 AM »
It may have been £12 plus the VAT. It was years ago.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2021, 11:25:09 AM »
It's worth bearing in mind that most online marketplaces such as eBay and AliExpress are registered with HMRC and are now charging the VAT at source, and so no import charges should be payable on receipt.

I wouldn't be surprised if autodoc also falls into this category.

edit: Autodoc appear to be charging VAT at the UK rate of 20% on all items, so I don't think you would have any problems ordering from the site, regardless of where the items are shipped from.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 11:39:30 AM by sparky Paul »

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2021, 10:31:14 PM »
Hi.

Got the new ignition coils (chinese ones, 14€/each one) and replace the pair on cylinder 2 and 4 (i suppose the cylinder nr1 is the first from EGR side, looking forward to the car).

It looks better, but still i need to do some more tests.

But one issue, i thought it will fix..is related with a little unstable rpm on idle..when the car is warm, sporadically the rpm seem to drop a bit, and it feels a little vibration once it happen.

Ordered also a ODB2 and monitoring RPM, and it really drops when i feel the vibration.

Idle - engine cold

Idle - engine warm

The scales are different, but with the engine cold i see drops around 5/10rpm, with the engine warm drops around 40/50rpm

Is this normal? Anything related with ignition coils?

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2021, 10:16:02 PM »
Hi.

Few months after replacing four ignition coils (cylinder 2 and 4), engine light blinked for 30 seconds, again with the same error codes..misfire in cylinder 2 and 4..

So far:
-replaced all spark plugs
-cleaned egr valve
-replaced 2/4 cylinder ignition coils

Cylinder number 1 is the closest of EGR valve/alternator?
(Left side steering wheel. Just to check if replaced the correct cylinder ignition coil)

Any idea why is misfiring always the same cylinders? Bad wiring? Bad egr valve?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 10:21:55 PM by nadabro »

Jazzmeister

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2021, 02:45:46 PM »
Those Chinese coils apparently don't last, it could easily be one of the new coils already failing.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Mk I 2007 Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT | Previous car - Mk II 2012 Honda Jazz 1.3 Cvt

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2021, 12:49:31 AM »
Dont expect cheap ignition coils to last 200k kms, but since i replaced them, only made 2000kms.

Even if the issue is the new ignition coils, why both cylinders misfire at same time?
Never got one cylinder misfire, a month later, a misfire in another cylinder, when engine light popups its always cylinder 2 and 4 misfires, with old and new ignition coils.

So i wonder if the misfires are caused by something else..

Maybe changed the wrong ignition coils (2 and 4 cylinder, being first cylinder on alternator side). I can swap the ignition coils to 1/3 cylinder just to confirm.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 12:53:27 AM by nadabro »

nadabro

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2021, 11:49:51 PM »
So i removed the new chinese ignition coils, put back the original ones but swapped them from original 2/4 cylinder to 1/3 cylinder.

Result?

Misfire on 1/3 cylinder, so the issue is on the ignition coils.

Any advice if i should replace all 4 ignition coils (front/back from misfire cylinders), 4 (all from back), 2 (back from misfire cylinders).

(ideally i would replace 8 ignition coils, but trying to cut the cost of this issue)

mj1sjc

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2021, 05:31:47 PM »
Just to let you know, ignition coils are much cheaper on autodr website.
I just randomly got the rear x4 changed recently which were the original Hitachi.
If you would like to have them on, Im happy to sell them for a reasonable price for both parties.

So i removed the new chinese ignition coils, put back the original ones but swapped them from original 2/4 cylinder to 1/3 cylinder.

Result?

Misfire on 1/3 cylinder, so the issue is on the ignition coils.

Any advice if i should replace all 4 ignition coils (front/back from misfire cylinders), 4 (all from back), 2 (back from misfire cylinders).

(ideally i would replace 8 ignition coils, but trying to cut the cost of this issue)

Tags:

anything