Author Topic: Start/Stop not activating (battery symbol)  (Read 20126 times)

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
Re: Start/Stop not activating (battery symbol)
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2021, 04:42:15 PM »
Just got back from a 450 mile round trip to see relations as in my post above, as expected the stop/start has started working again, looks like the battery level has to be high for it work and once it drops below a certain level it stops working in order not to drain the battery to much.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 04:45:43 PM by Hobo »

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2021, 06:01:51 PM »
Just got back from a 450 mile round trip to see relations as in my post above, as expected the stop/start has started working again, looks like the battery level has to be high for it work and once it drops below a certain level it stops working in order not to drain the battery to much.

Have you considered a voltmeter which plugs into the 12V socket?  From Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373619141490?hash=item56fd6fab72:g:PL4AAOSwqZ9gzFRX

The voltmeter will give a measure of the state of charge of the 12V battery and possibly a few clues as to the threshold when start/stop closes down

2robbie2

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mark 3
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2021, 02:31:14 AM »
Just saw this thread on the forum - same thing has occurred on my 69 plate Jazz which I picked up a couple of months ago. I did lots of web research and have read more threads than I would care to mention.

At first I found the whole thing frustrating and a bit worrying, but I soon discovered that this is a common issue for the Honda Jazz.

I'm no mechanic;- all I know is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't - there's no rhyme nor reason as to why, when or how. However the car drives nicely and returns about 56mpg according to the computer-fib-o-meter (which I don't believe, but from my mileage & receipt records is nonetheless considerably better than my previous 2012 diesel Mini Cooper :D). I also took some solace from Scotty Kilmer saying on his YouTube channel that the start-stop function isn't necessarily a good thing in any event in terms of additional wear & tear.

Happy motoring folks!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 02:48:26 AM by 2robbie2 »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2021, 04:15:08 AM »
It's also common on the Civic.

A few have posted that turning on the ignition for a few secs before cranking the starter gives more time for SS to collect the battery state.
Let's be careful out there !

Hobo

• Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2021, 10:19:41 AM »

A few have posted that turning on the ignition for a few secs before cranking the starter gives more time for SS to collect the battery state.

Can't turn on the ignition first in the later Civic it is keyless push button start.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2021, 11:10:37 AM »

Can't turn on the ignition first in the later Civic it is keyless push button start.
You can: push  the start button  WITHOUT pressing the clutch, twice.
Anyway, I think this could be unuseful: in these days i noticed that S&S can start working after startup but stopping after 4-5 restarts  in the same trip, with battery symbol on the dash, so  battery status is continuolsy checked.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 11:16:08 AM by jazzaro »

Geordielad

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX CVT 2018
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2021, 12:58:09 PM »
Had my new to me Jazz about 3 months and stop/start has never kicked in even after I’ve fully charged the battery with my Ctek.
Suits me fine not having to switch it off!

Hobo

• Approved Member
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2021, 01:24:21 PM »

WITHOUT pressing the clutch, twice.

Have not got a clutch.  :D

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2021, 03:07:14 PM »
Posted in wrong thread
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 03:22:23 PM by 1643 »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2021, 08:03:33 AM »

WITHOUT pressing the clutch, twice.

Have not got a clutch.  :D
Ok, lever in P and don't press the brake.

Toptek

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz EX NAVI CVT
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2021, 12:43:15 PM »
I have just fitted a SAE lead to the battery, negative lead installed to the bolt before the black module for monitoring current. The eyelets are quite large and the position of the positive battery clamp re snagging it led me to fit it to the adjacent bolt on the clamp. Does this sound acceptable? I suspect this bolt is there to facilitate the connection of more than one lead from the terminal.

equaliser

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2018 Honda Jazz 1.3 I-VTEC EX Navi CVT
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2021, 02:20:52 PM »
I have just fitted a SAE lead to the battery, negative lead installed to the bolt before the black module for monitoring current. The eyelets are quite large and the position of the positive battery clamp re snagging it led me to fit it to the adjacent bolt on the clamp. Does this sound acceptable? I suspect this bolt is there to facilitate the connection of more than one lead from the terminal.

Perfect! 8)

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S 1.3 CVT
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2021, 11:33:33 PM »
I have stop start and it is a total pain. When I bought the car Jazz 1.3 I was advised to switch OFF the stop start. Soon get into the way of doing this and life is much better.

Sven

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz MK3 2017 ADAS
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2021, 05:42:01 PM »
Hi
I have read through many, but far from all post on this s&s, and can chip in that I have same problem. I have had a 2017 mk3 Jazz for 1.5 years now and got problems with s&s working randomly all the time. Approx 30% it stops fine, at red light 70% it does not stop, even when all conditions should be ok.
After some trials, the authorized dealer+service center replaced the battery to a new one and had it checked and tested based on Honda guidance many times, but never really solved it.
I drive across Denmark every week, and even when I drive 360km in one go, it still does not always stop when I reach a red light close to home or in the other end.
I'm sorry to say that I'm an experienced electronic engineer and have tried to understand this and get experience of when it works and not work, but after 1.5year it still does not reveal any consistency other than not stopping when engine is cold, which is according to expectation. Warm engine, warm/cold weather, long/short drives.
I have now just accepted that it has it's own life, and forget it. Naturally there is a sensible reaction based on some sensor facts and/or timing, but it is apparently just not easy to identify.
Not the end of the world, but naturally somewhat annoying when you want to reduce your carbon footprint and save some expensive drops of fuel. Jazz S&S RIP ;-)

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2021, 06:45:15 AM »
These things I have noticed to prevent start-stop acting:
- battery voltage
- cold engine
- electric power consumption e.g. seat heathers, rear window heater, headlights on, fan on max speed
- ventilation directed to windshield
- driver's seat belt not engaged
- after reversing

Tags:

anything