Author Topic: CVT - D or N at stop  (Read 13612 times)

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: CVT - D or N at stop
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 11:57:22 AM »
Genuinely puzzled about the "brake lights on all the time" phenomenon. Could a CVT driver please confirm how the stop-start system behaves on their car ?

With a manual, you put the handbrake on, put the gearlever in neutral, take your foot off the clutch, and the engine stops (providing none of the other inhibiting conditions apply). No brake lights 'cos your foot isn't on the brake pedal.

I think the equivalent for a CVT would be to apply the handbrake and put the gearshift into N, so if you do this does the engine stop or not ? I think I read somewhere that you have to also keep your foot on the footbrake (and hence have your stop lights on), else the engine restarts, is that correct ? Or does this only happen if you don't use the handbrake, and/or don't shift into N ?

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 12:52:17 PM »

I think the equivalent for a CVT would be to apply the handbrake and put the gearshift into N, so if you do this does the engine stop or not ? I think I read somewhere that you have to also keep your foot on the footbrake (and hence have your stop lights on), else the engine restarts, is that correct ? Or does this only happen if you don't use the handbrake, and/or don't shift into N ?
You're correct. The stop-start is controlled by the footbrake regardless of what else you do.  If you go into N and apply the handbrake, and then take your foot off the footbrake, the engine restarts.  Otherwise, the engine would have to restart when you put your foot back on the footbrake prior to reselecting D, which I suppose the electronics can't cope with.  I don't know if the same is true on other makes of automatic.

Of course, for a long stop such as a level crossing, it's easy to go into P and switch the engine off, which is what we all used to do before stop-start was around.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:21:27 PM by Downsizer »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »
The stop-start is controlled by the footbrake regardless of what else you do.  If you go into N and apply the handbrake, and then take your foot off the footbrake, the engine restarts.  Otherwise, the engine would have to restart when you put your foot back on the footbrake prior to reselecting D, which I suppose the electronics can't cope with.  I don't know if the same is true on other makes of automatic.
Thanks for confirming. So drivers of CVTs (and possibly autos from other manufacturers), unless they remember to turn off the stop-start feature every time, will inadvertently annoy other drivers queued behind them. I daresay the engineers had a reason for designing it like that, but it's difficult to conceive of a reason for requiring the footbrake to be applied if the handbrake is also on; the manual box seems perfectly happy and safe with the handbrake alone, so why does the CVT need belt AND braces ? And the electronics on the manual box are quite capable of restarting the engine when the clutch pedal is depressed, so I don't see why they can't do that with the brake pedal on the CVT.

It's probably something to do with the cars being designed for the rolling road fuel consumption/emission tests rather than the real world. There's no car following, so there's no problem if the brake lights are on unnecessarily.

guest5938

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 06:30:06 PM »
@John Ratsey - "You don't need to shift to N as long as you keep the brake pedal pressed (which activates the clutch)."

Honda dealer told me that new Jazz has torque converter equipped CVT. This was also confirmed by Honda customer care via email. This means no clutch in CVT Jazz?

If there is a clutch then will it be damaged by keeping in D while stopped ? (like a manual car).

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 07:15:30 PM »
The CVT was reintroduced to the Jazz on the facelift model in 2011 and included a change to a torque converter clutch.
I think the instruction manual will tell you to put the transmission to 'N' if stationery for more than a few seconds, this a simple movement of the selector lever that doesn't require use of the catch between 'D' and 'N' and back.
Unfortunately with advent of more 'stop/start' vehicles on the road the 'foot on brake pedal while stationary' syndrome is only going to get worse so that those that don't will be the exception.

Vic.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 09:57:07 AM »
You're correct. The stop-start is controlled by the footbrake regardless of what else you do.  If you go into N and apply the handbrake, and then take your foot off the footbrake, the engine restarts.
Which I think is daft.
Otherwise, the engine would have to restart when you put your foot back on the footbrake prior to reselecting D
I don't think that's a problem. The engine restarts when you move the gear lever out of N anyway, even if you keep the footbrake pressed down.

Tags: