Author Topic: My Tyres slashed during the Night  (Read 1279 times)

guest9236

My Tyres slashed during the Night
« on: August 17, 2020, 11:18:47 AM »
Front tyre Drivers Side slashed possibly with screwdriver Plus Rear Tyre Drivers side, my question is will I have to renew all four, and  is it wise to claim on Insurance,I suspect Increase in Premium on nxt Renewal.
And as two tyres are involved I cannot drive to car Tyre Establishment any Ideas would be very much appreciated.
Both front Tyres renewed in Feb this Year both Rears are original Dunlops.

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
Re: My Tyres slashed during the Night
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 11:38:29 AM »
Hi

Sorry to hear about the vandalism. I would do the same, put the two remaining wheels on the back together and get two new tyres for the damaged ones and have these on the front - may as well get best grip from these new tyres on the front with wet weather coming up.  You might get a deal for two tyres which reduces the cost. There are lots of mobile tyre fitting companies who come to your house, perhaps try finding some independent smaller firms who might be faster to respond and give you a better service. I would avoid insurance claim as you might pay a lot next year having claimed.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 12:31:41 PM »
Really sorry to hear this. I'd steer clear of claiming on my insurance for the sake of two new tyres. Even with protected no claims it might be an excuse to raise the premium next time out.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 04:09:24 PM »
Definitely steer clear of your insurance company. 

I made the mistake of seeking the advice of my insurance company.  Someone had reversed into me in a car park and admitted blame but my insurance company said that would be irrelevant as it was on private land (i.e. a car park), it would be treated as knock for knock. 

So I said that I would not bother with the claim.  Nevertheless it apparently went on my record and they tried to put my insurance up on the next renewal siting my accident.  I told them that I would take my business elsewhere.  The agent said that they all use the same database so that would make no difference, however they did relent and put the premium back down.

Jeff B

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 Jazz 2017 (67 plate)
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 05:01:35 PM »
Definitely steer clear of your insurance company. 

I made the mistake of seeking the advice of my insurance company.  Someone had reversed into me in a car park and admitted blame but my insurance company said that would be irrelevant as it was on private land (i.e. a car park), it would be treated as knock for knock. 

So I said that I would not bother with the claim.  Nevertheless it apparently went on my record and they tried to put my insurance up on the next renewal siting my accident.  I told them that I would take my business elsewhere.  The agent said that they all use the same database so that would make no difference, however they did relent and put the premium back down.

I haven't had this happen to me but I was told by a friend that a similar thing had happened to a relative of his, so I have always remembered that. So, never ask your insurance company for advice - what a sad state of affairs though.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 05:47:49 PM »
We had a ridge tile displaced ( it moved it about a foot but it stayed on roof intact ) during the March storms.  I contacted insurance and they said excess is £250 and my next years premium will go up if I claim.  So I bought an aluminium roof ladder for £200,  and got a 5kg tub of ready mixed mortar from screwfix and did the job ( rebedded the tile next to it as well ), so I still have a roof ladder worth £200 and did not pay excess and my premium should not reflect a claim next year - better to save insurance for bigger stuff as they will get their pound of flesh out of you when you claim.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jeff B

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 Jazz 2017 (67 plate)
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 07:07:46 PM »
I have never made a claim on my house building or contents insurance (nearly 49 years) so they have done alright out of me! Only one claim for a motor accident over the same period - not our fault either. The spare wheel suddenly dropped off from under a large van and smashed the front of our car. It all happened so quickly we didn't get the van's number so the renewal price went up the following year and of course we had to declare the accident for the next 5 years when applying for insurance! Worse still it was me driving my wife's car at the time so her premium went up as well as mine for my car!

I did fall into the trap of allowing policies to automatically renew every year - big mistake! We had a complete revamp of our finances last year and we now pay less for a combined buildings/contents policy than we did for either one of these separately in the previous year.  Same goes for car insurance - I found it is essential to shop around every year. A lot easier now with the advent of GoCompare etc. Occasionally the threat of leaving has the effect of magically reducing the new premium too.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 07:33:18 PM »
In these days of internet it is easier than ever to shop around for insurance, and keep the companies pencils sharp... same with gas and electricity.. as for auto renewal I never allow it, it is just giving companies permission to rip you off. Even stuff like Norton anti-virus can get you ripped off, they wanted about £50 renewal, can get it for less than £20 from Argos..
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest9236

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 02:44:51 PM »
Really sorry to hear this. I'd steer clear of claiming on my insurance for the sake of two new tyres. Even with protected no claims it might be an excuse to raise the premium next time out.

Thank you Peter for your very kind concerns, we have the Jazz as a runabout and it is on a joint Insurance with the other assorted vehicles that are in use.

It was just a thought at the time re  insurance claim, I have since discussed this and all is sorted.
Plus the. constabulary  have been in touch to say they have got the blighter we are all delighted of course.
I expect the culprit will have the brain power of a  Newt  etc etc.

Muldoon

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Not bought yet but looking
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 04:35:15 PM »

Thank you Peter for your very kind concerns, we have the Jazz as a runabout and it is on a joint Insurance with the other assorted vehicles that are in use.

It was just a thought at the time re  insurance claim, I have since discussed this and all is sorted.
Plus the. constabulary  have been in touch to say they have got the blighter we are all delighted of course.
I expect the culprit will have the brain power of a  Newt  etc etc.

Glad to hear you have got it sorted out and back on the road. Hopefully it sounds like this was a one off and the individual will learn their lesson.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 04:37:52 PM »
Just seen this, what a bugger... but good to hear that you got it sorted.

As others have said, for anyone ending up in a similar situation, don't even mention it to your insurer - there's a big risk that they will note it as an 'incident', and it will go on the central register. You will then have to declare it on subsequent renewals.

As for claiming on insurance check what your excess is and factor in no-claims and increased premium next year - windscreen replacement normally does not affect NCB but I bet tyres will.

Glass doesn't affect NCB, but when you are getting subsequent insurance quotes, it does have to be declared as a claim for 5 years. Most companies increase the premium, but it varies a lot and the increase is minimal with a few of them - again, it's best to shop round.

Tags:

anything