Author Topic: Auto lights and wipers  (Read 1146 times)

Ed the Jazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Jazz S 1.3 CVT
Auto lights and wipers
« on: July 18, 2020, 06:59:02 PM »
On my mk3 1.3 I leave wipers on auto setting and lights default to auto. Have noticed recently if I drive along and use screen wash/wipe the headlights come on, even in bright light conditions. The lights wont always turn off unless I come to a stop and turn off engine. Hadn't really noticed this previously but have not driven much (2000 miles) since Feb. Any ideas or just a Honda 'feature'?

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
Re: Auto lights and wipers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 07:29:51 PM »
I have not noticed this, but I'll try it out on my next journey and let you know.
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 07:38:51 PM »
When the wipers do a few swipes of the screen, either by using the screen wash or if it is raining, the headlights will come on by design.

Once the wipers stop, if it is anything other than dusk type conditions, the headlights should go off after several minutes.  The delay is to stop them from cycling in drizzle.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 07:00:17 AM by ColinS »

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 10:24:48 PM »
I think it's 4 wipes of the wipers within a short time period which triggers the headlights but once the headlights are triggered by the wipers they stay on for several minutes. I discovered this very early in my ownership of the Mk 3 Jazz - went through a small shower which triggered the wipers (set on auto) and the headlights then stayed on during several minutes of bright sunshine before they switched off. My mitigating measure for this feature was to use manual control for the wipers to try to avoid the trigger unless it was raining properly.

While this feature is still present on the Mk 4 Jazz there's an option in the settings to turn it off. Sensibly the light sensor should provide a good input on when to automatically turn on the headlights (it's now forward looking so is less prone to turning on the headlights when driving under trees or bridges).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 12:27:43 PM »
I have not noticed this, but I'll try it out on my next journey and let you know.

Tried it today and agree with John and Colin......and single wipe doesn't activate lights.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 12:29:28 PM by Derkie54 »
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Tags:

anything