Author Topic: Crosstar Damage  (Read 1460 times)

Geoff_W

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Premium Crystal Red Metallic
Crosstar Damage
« on: June 08, 2023, 11:18:19 AM »
Yesterday I was unfortunate to be involved in a minor incident with an e-scooter. I was stationary at a 'T' junction when an idiotic youth on an e-scooter ran into the back of my Crosstar, causing scuffing to the rear bumper (see picture). Of course, the youth involved rode off laughing and there is no possible way to identify him.

My question is, how can I repair or mitigate the damage to minimise the visual impact (no pun intended)?

Steve_M

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2024 Jazz Crosstar e:HEV
Re: Crosstar Damage
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 12:27:23 PM »
As that panel is coloured textured plastic, its perhaps not just a case of re-paint, the ideal solution would be replacement which looks as if you would be looking at around £600 + fitting.

Perhaps a smart repair company would consider do a repair, but that would be for them to decide.

Perhaps going over the area with a cutting polish way take away some of the minor marks.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 12:38:00 PM »
Perhaps going over the area with a cutting polish way take away some of the minor marks.

To be honest: I only see small markings...

And no one was injured?
If nothing goes right, go left!

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 01:22:37 PM »
Yesterday I was unfortunate to be involved in a minor incident with an e-scooter … Of course, the youth involved rode off laughing and there is no possible way to identify him.

You might still be able to get somewhere with the rider, depending on the type of scooter. If it was a privately-owned device (ie illegal on the public road), then you’re out of luck. But if it was a rental (ie legal) then they are tracked by GPS and have insurance. Contact the rental company, give them the precise location (use What3Words) and time, and they should be able to match that with their logs of scooter locations.

As for repairing the damage, I’d get in touch with a company like Chips Away (there will probably be several similar near your location) and ask them for a quote. They are easily capable of paint-matching some scuffs on a bumper.

Bruceboss

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz crosstar EX 2022
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 06:31:42 PM »
Try grey shoe polish

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 05:24:52 AM »
My wife scuffed the plastic rear wheel arch trim on our Crosstar. The damage looked quite bad at first. However, to my surprise, after using some scratch removing polish (Meguiars) it's now pretty much invisible.

Maybe the wheel arch trim is slightly more textured than the rear bumper, but have a (gentle) go with that (in a small area at first). I think it should clean up quite nicely.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 07:17:05 AM »
There are a number of brands of colour coded renovation polishes that might help.  broad spectrum colour  - eg for 'blue cars, red cars, silver cars, dark cars. 'etc.  There may be products specifically targeted at matt plastic trim .   The danger is the affected area may become equally conspicuous due to the texture being over polished ,rather than the scuffing.    So as suggested by others  maybe try it in an inconspicuous area first.

In my area its not just the risk of uninsured vehicle collisions . Despite there being no legal e scooter scheme we have people hurtling down footpaths at 15 -20 mph with no possibility of stopping if someone steps out of a gateway or ,suddenly changes direction etc  Mostly youngsters but I did see an oap using one,albeit fairly carefully but still illegally.   They could easily kill someone, especially a child or the elderly.(or themselves. Oh dear what a shame). E scooters could  be an eco friendly mode of transport if restricted to a useful number of designated cycle paths.    And heavily penalised and actively condemned  by the public  if used elsewhere.  I read somewhere that police are developing a system that can stop an e scooter  by disrupting its electrical systems.   Maybe a system whereby legally acceptable private e  scooters  must display  a visible registration  number and also continually transmit a unique identity code using something similar to keyless entry transmissions.  Use it somewhere inappropriately and who knows whether you will have been identified, by official tracker devices  or even the outraged  public using phone apps etc. 

« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 07:42:28 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 08:36:34 AM »
In my area its not just the risk of uninsured vehicle collisions . Despite there being no legal e scooter scheme we have people hurtling down footpaths at 15 -20 mph with no possibility of stopping if someone steps out of a gateway or ,suddenly changes direction etc  Mostly youngsters but I did see an oap using one,albeit fairly carefully but still illegally.   They could easily kill someone, especially a child or the elderly.(or themselves. Oh dear what a shame). E scooters could  be an eco friendly mode of transport if restricted to a useful number of designated cycle paths.    And heavily penalised and actively condemned  by the public  if used elsewhere.  I read somewhere that police are developing a system that can stop an e scooter  by disrupting its electrical systems.   Maybe a system whereby legally acceptable private e  scooters  must display  a visible registration  number and also continually transmit a unique identity code using something similar to keyless entry transmissions.  Use it somewhere inappropriately and who knows whether you will have been identified, by official tracker devices  or even the outraged  public using phone apps etc. 

The legal rental schemes (in Bristol and Bath it's Voi) do some of that.
- You can't rent one unless you have at least a provisional licence (which means points can be added), and you have to do an online training course before your first hire
- They have lights (including brake lights and indicators), bells, visible ID plates and insurance
- They are geo-fenced so can only be used  in certain areas, and are speed-limited in some locations. Although this isn't good enough to prevent use on footpaths alongside roads.
- They are tracked by GPS
- They are only legally allowed anywhere cycling is allowed (so roads, cycle paths, and shared paths)
- Voi are keen to protect their reputation during the trial period, and operate a "3 strikes and you're out" policy. But someone has to report them.

None of that prevents them being used illegally (eg on pavements or with two riders) unless someone's quick enough to read the ID plate and report them. And of course none of that applies to the illegal privately-owned scooters that are being sold with no controls whatsoever.

Geoff_W

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 09:06:10 AM »
Thanks for all your replies. On the Crosstar the rear bumper is textured plastic not painted, so the suggestions by @Jayt43 and @Bruceboss are certainly worth trying.

As to the culprit, he was illegally riding a private e-scooter on a public road (as were his four mates). He was off round the corner like a shot, whilst I was stuck behind two cars waiting to exit the 'T' junction. So absolutely no chance of identifying or apprehending him.

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 09:09:56 AM »
Where was the location of the collision.. is it possible there may have been CCTV nearby, a business, road traffic or even something like a Ring doorbell?

As to the damage, I would try a mild t-cut, or just a good polish first.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 09:11:53 AM by Nicksey »

MRCLICKCLICK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: CROSSTAR.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 09:51:25 AM »
I know its too late - but perhaps a rear facing dash cam would have helped identify - and prove for insurance purposes.

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 10:23:11 AM »
You could try 'BACK TO BLACK' it is a CLEAR silicon spray that revitalises plastic fittings.
otherwise I agree with the other suggestions.

Pity the little sh*t din't break his leg (at least)
They are a national plague. Here in Poole they don't give a 'stuff' even adults who must be aware that private E scooters are illegal just don't care. There is so little chance of being caught, they just ignore all the rules.
We have 'Beryl' bikes and e scooters here and I can't remember the number of times I have reported teenagers riding the scooters and often two up.
The problem often is that an adult rents the scooter, then hands it over to their brat!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Geoff_W

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 04:12:24 PM »
I know its too late - but perhaps a rear facing dash cam would have helped identify - and prove for insurance purposes.

Very true, but these days one camera is not enough - front & rear is necessary.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2023, 05:49:46 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-65854332 "Teen on e-bike dies after being followed by police in Salford"

The usual "He was an angel at home" stuff. I suspect the police and ambulance crew would like to have spoken freely.

pebbles

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 sport
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2023, 09:40:36 AM »
as others have advised , don't use a cutting compound on textured plastic, it will make the area shiny and even loose the texture.

Try a bumper and vinyl gel and give the affected area a good rubbing with a cloth or toothbrush

Tags: