Author Topic: Dealer's or Insurer's repairer??  (Read 6878 times)

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
Dealer's or Insurer's repairer??
« on: February 14, 2011, 05:43:24 PM »
New on here (usually frequent Disco3 forum) and after a little advice.

Had a car drive into the side of me last week, case of driver looked but didn't see me (or hear my horn)  until there was contact.  Slight damage but needs fixed.  The other driver's insurance co has accepted full liability and car will be booked into local Honda dealer once my LR is back on the road.

Question is:  Honda Approved body shop through local dealer or Insurer's own preferred repairer?? 

TIA

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Dealer's or Insurer's repairer??
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 08:16:10 PM »
It depends on who the repairer is. I would only go to the insurer's repairer if it was a proper bodyshop with a good reputation locally.

I had a prang last year and was offered by my insurer a company called Nationwide Accident Repair in East Grinstead. Odd because East Grinstead is 25 miles away and there are a number of insurer-approved repairers locally. I had I suspicion that they were some crash repairer working for the motor trade and the reviews on google were mainly bad, so I went to body shop ran by a local dealer chain. They are not Honda approved but were for Toyota and Nissan which was close enough.

If you go to a Honda approved body shop make sure they are insurer approved and ask if they do the work themselves or do they use a bodyshop to do it on their behalf. If it's the latter it maybe cheaper to approach that bodyshop directly.

Although you say you have access to another vehicle, I will still point out for the benefit of anyone else reading this that your insurer may not provide you with a courtesy car unless you go with their designated repairer, if such is included on your policy. As the guy who hit my car drove off without stopping, I didn't want to foot the bill to insure my chosen repair's courtesy car on my policy, but when I pointed this out they stepped in and offered to pay for the cover on their car. So don't be afraid to ask - they may say yes if they want your business!

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 08:53:13 PM »
Just moved house a few months ago so no local knowledge re local repairers, thought Honda approved body shop would be the safer way to do it.  Also as the insurance co for the person that drove into me has accepted full liability, and my Ins Co was happy for me to go through dealer it seemed a reasonable way to go.  Just thought I'd see what people here thought.  My insurer wanted me to use their bodyshop, the other party's insurer wanted me to use theirs (and both offered me a courtesy car) but neither had a problem with my decision.

Just got to get my Discovery back from the dealer with its nice new shiny turbo, then I can get it fixed! :D

guest436

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
Stay away from Nationwide. There is whole load of posts on Pistonheads about these guys.

Like said above I'd personally go with someone who I trust.

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 12:43:18 PM »
My insurer's engineer has been out, looks like new wing as well as repair to bumper and driver's door.  They are going to haggle with dealer, not really concerned as long as fixed and I'm not paying for it.  Looks like it's going to be an epensive "oops, didn't know you were there" bump!  Hopefully will not affect me at renewal. :'(

guest1513

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »
Check if you have uninsured loss cover. That should help when your premiums are raised! Even without, factor these issues into your claim against the 3rd party. HJ has some useful pointers re this.

Tags:

anything