Author Topic: ECON mode Crosstar.  (Read 1524 times)

MRCLICKCLICK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: CROSSTAR.
ECON mode Crosstar.
« on: October 24, 2020, 11:18:37 AM »
HI all - at moment I haven't used the ECON mode in my new crossbar - this is based on the fact that in my HRV it performed worse than I could - usually 3 mpg worse than I could achieve myself with good driving. So - anybody used the ECON mode - is good?

JazzMusic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV Exec
Re: ECON mode Crosstar.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 11:56:20 AM »
The ECON mode has only two effects
- it flattens the gas pedal characteristic
- it allows the A/C a wider temperature window

I don't like it. Experienced hybrid drivers know what to do.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 01:41:36 PM »
I've had Econ enabled since I got the vehicle. The acceleration is excellent with it enabled so I don't see that as a constraint. The main effect is to widen the allowable difference between the target and actual cabin temperatures which reduces the need for the engine to be running in order to (i) supply the electrically-powered aircon when the battery is below 30% charge and (ii) run the engine to supply cabin heating.

Now that the weather is turning colder the latter effect is particularly noticeable if in queuing traffic when the engine normally goes to sleep once the battery is above 60% charge. However, the antidote for this is to turn off the heater fan and turn on the electric seat heating. As I've said before, Honda missed a trick in not designing the aircon to run in reverse as a heatpump. A lower speeds (ie lower engine load and running on battery for a lot of the time) the engine struggles to warm enough to provide decent heating. I thought Japan got cold enough in winter for the designers to consider this aspect.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 03:10:11 PM »
Same as my Civic then,  Eco mode kills the throttle and AirCon.

Used it once and quickly turned it off.
Let's be careful out there !

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 08:42:51 AM »
I have my heated seat on all the time! In my car (not Honda) the effect of Econ on acceleration is too dramatic so I rarely have it on unless I’m on a long motorway stretch with cruise control on or trying harder for some reason to be frugal.

Tags:

anything