Author Topic: Fixed or Variable Servicing?  (Read 143781 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Fixed or Variable Servicing?
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2011, 08:05:39 PM »
The 60-plate GE 1.2 SE I currently have from the body repairer is showing  -2000 miles to service every time I start up. The manual is not in the car so does this mean it's over due? The car has only done 10,000 miles and, given that the tax runs out at the end of next month, is not quite a year old.

As a courtesy car it goes without saying its probably been treated to short journeys!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »
That's suggesting that the reminder system is being very conservative to suggest servicing at 8000 miles. However, if we assume that the car has daily usage then it's most likely 30 to 40 miles per day mainly in short trips.

Is the engine oil turning black? - that's a good indicator of a service being due.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest1370

« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2011, 04:37:34 PM »
My Jazz 1.4 EX 09 is currently showing -197 miles at start-up, meaning it's 197 miles overdue for its 'A' service oil change, even though an annual service was only carried out in May, approx. 1,400 miles ago. Crazy!! I'm still currently awaiting a full reply from Honda Customer Relations re my previous posting and will update when my complaint is resolved. Honda UK's advice to its dealers to just turn the system off completely if a customer complains is not good enough. If the SVRS is turned off it can never be turned on again according to the Honda technical team.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2011, 07:28:49 PM »
Would anyone want to re-enable the SVRS if it going to be demanding a service at 1,200 miles? There may be operating conditions that justify such a frequent oil change, but I can't think of any.

John

guest516

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2011, 09:01:23 PM »
Seems to be normal?? for the A service (oil change) to be followed shortly after by a B service routine check on wear (brake pads) inspection of various listed items for full service. My oil has only been changed on A service
My third A is service is due shortly 26k miles & I'm looking for 4 new tyres at 26k miles in 2 years & 7 months
Just done  a 3k trip to France in 3 weeks mpg 50+
Keep enjoying your Jazz motoring
oui oui :) ;D

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2011, 01:35:39 PM »
Crazy!!

You are right, it is absolutely crazy. Honda has really messed up with variable servicing. My car never had it activated at the PDI, I wasn’t given the option, it was delivered that way. Whether it was an oversight by the dealer or a dealership policy not to enable it I don't know. What I do know is that I am glad it wasn't activated from what I have read on the forum. Who in their right mind would want to have to keep taking their car back to the garage at short intervals? At my first 12,500 mile service I enquired as to what Honda's policy is with variable servicing and the dealer's reply was that every customer is now given the choice between variable and fixed interval servicing when ordering their new car.

Geoffers

« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2011, 02:34:48 PM »
Hmmm, I wasn't offered that choice when I ordered mine last weekend!

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2011, 06:25:55 PM »
Hmmm, I wasn't offered that choice when I ordered mine last weekend!
In my case the question came up when I went to get the car. I said that with my normal mileage the once a year service was easier to remember so the system wasn't activated and a post-it note put in the handbook to record the situation.

John

guest1370

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »
If you check your service book, all UK spec Jazz cars should be using the Variable Servicing system. The object of this is that servicing is only required when indicated by the SVRS MID display. This can dispense with the need for regular annual services which many modern cars no longer require, especially if you are a low mileage user. In my opinion, and that of many Honda dealerships I have contacted, there is a problem with the way the oil quality is sensed, resulting in frequent displays on the MID indicating that an 'A' service is needed (oil & filter change), perhaps, as in my case, just 1,400 miles since it was changed previously. There are complaints to Honda UK going back over 2 years, since the new model was introduced, and to date this has not been rectified. My argument is that the SVRS system is defective and not fit for purpose, resulting in unnecessary trips to the garage and increased costs. If you are under a Honda Happiness Plan, Honda have agreed that you can take your car in for an 'A' service whenever indicated and not limited to one annual service per year. But what happens when your warranty and service plan expires? You will then be left with a defective system and expensive regular oil changes unless Honda can correct this problem rather than instructing their dealers to turn the system off if customers' complain, which to me is not acceptable. I recommend that any Jazz owner concerned about this should direct their complaint to Mr Lewis Tingle, Customer Relations (Cars) at Honda UK on 0845 200 8000, who is investigating this issue.  :(

guest1370

« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2011, 04:43:40 PM »
Just to update everyone, I've had a reply in writing back from Honda (UK) and Mr Lewis Tingle, Manager Customer Relations (Cars), has told me that using the SVRS system I can have any number of services as required by the SVRS display, including the 'A' and 'B' annual services, for the full 5 years of my Honda Happiness Service Plan or 62,500 miles (whichever comes first). Presumeably, this will be the same for all other owners in my position.
Last week I had an additional 'A' 1 service and the SVRS display now indicates '7' 230 days, which means brake fluid change in 230 days.
I have also been told verbally by two members of Honda Customer Relations Team that the reason why the SVRS system has frequently been requesting an oil/filter change is because the engine oil used in the UK is of a much higher quality than that being used in the rest of Europe and the sensing system used cannot pick up on that. If that isn't an admission that the system is not fit for purpose, I don't know what is! I hope that my postings on this problem has helped other Jazz owners and that Honda Technical Department will finally, after 2 years, devise a fix fir this ongoing error.

Rabiedmushroom

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 09 1.4EX Elite plus
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2011, 09:38:02 AM »
I have also written to Mr Lewis Tingle, yet to have a reply back. Thanks for the tip. My local dealer have previously confirmed yes they/Honda are (and have been) honouring the 5 yr/62k service package.
My concern voiced to Mr Tingle is the ongoing expense of numerous servicing. Yes the service indicators can be turned off, but that's not the point is it? IMHO they need to review and upgrade the sensors and software.

P.S. To put this into perspective, I have had 10 yes TEN services in 53,000 miles and less than 3 years!  :o
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:39:36 AM by Rabiedmushroom »

guest1370

« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2011, 12:22:39 AM »
I initially emailed Mr Tingle and have had two replies from him by email. Before this I phoned their helpline, but got nowhere.
According to the latest email I have been told that my SVRS complaint is being investigated by the Honda technical team and I will receive a letter in due course. I have offered to have my car inspected by their technicians if that would help their investigation.
Hopefully if enough owners complain directly to Honda we shall have a result as there is obviously a serious problem if you need ten services in under 5 years, according to Rabiedmushroom.
For UK owners that have stuck with the SVRS system, as specified for the UK, all this additional need for services indicated by the SVRS display must be costing Honda a fortune for those fortunate owners that went for the Honda Happiness Service Plan. My worry is what happens when it expires.

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2011, 08:50:23 PM »
mine wasnt switched on at pdi so when i go in after 12 months for my first service i will ask them for the sticker for my service book that states i want 12 month or 12500 miles services for my jazz, it is 7 months old at the moment

i hope i dont have any problems doing this, or that it doesn't effect the warranty in any way
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:39:54 PM by monkeydave »

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2011, 10:14:02 AM »
But what happens when your warranty and service plan expires? You will then be left with a defective system and expensive regular oil changes .....

No you won't - once the car is out of warranty then sticking to the service schedule becomes irrelevant.  Just get it serviced whenever you choose.

Many owners of older cars never have their cars serviced anyway - they just rely on the MOT to pick up faults.

Interesting to see comments from people who have had their car serviced huge numbers of times - I would lay odds that they don't get serviced if they come back to dealer within a few thousand miles of the last service and all the dealer does is reset the service indicator.

guest2889

« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2011, 01:19:59 PM »
All the SvRS complaints are putting me off buying a used 2009/2010 Jazz. Even Honda’s Approved Used Car Service Plan puts me off. It says ‘If your vehicle is equipped with the SvRS, we can't include additional interim A services for oil and filter changes in the plan.’

If you have the SvRS switched off , does that count as a modification of the standard model? Should you advise your car insurer? If you don’t tell the insurer, and you make a claim, will they be able to wriggle out it?

Tags: