Author Topic: Fixed or Variable Servicing?  (Read 135294 times)

guest3250

Re: Fixed or Variable Servicing?
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »
I had the variable service turned off by the local Honda Garage I got it from
I only do 6 - 8K miles a year - so I will just get it serviced once a year
But - I am guessing I could leave it a little longer...???

DV

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: [/URL]
  • My Honda: 2013 Honda Jazz EX CVT
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2012, 09:04:09 PM »
I`m servicing my car myself and done oil changes every 12.5k miles. Now I`ve got 100k in the clock and from now on I`ll change oil every 8-10k miles. Every year I`ve driven at least 14k miles so the annually oil change would be no good anyway.

guest3250

« Reply #122 on: May 28, 2012, 10:33:28 PM »
How times have changed - and so has Oil technology - I used to service my own cars and
do the oil and Filter every 3K miles - back then even the best was breaking down at 2Kmiles
Also engine technology is way superior these days
However - I stopped doing my servicing several years back  - most cars need a computer to
service it. Plus, I cannot be bothered any more  ;)

LJs JAZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es cvt
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2012, 10:30:46 PM »
Bought my new jazz in October 2011, on picking up the car the dealer said they would contact me when its first service was due, in 12 months.
On getting home and reading through the handbook I noticed the section regarding the display on the on-board computer,which would indicate when a service was due.
No display has appeared, and the dealer did contact me at 12 months to arrange the first service, the car has done 8000 miles.
I asked the service manager about the lack of display on the computer, and he said they do not activate it when doing the pre delivery checks  as it is more trouble than it is worth!
Have asked a colleague at work who bought a jazz from the same dealer a month later than me and the same applies I wonder how many dealers are doing this

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2012, 01:17:28 AM »
i asked for mine to be switched off when i bought mine and on its first service (same as you at 8000 miles) i said im on the 12,000 miles or 12 months service schedule and they were ok with it like they get a lot of people doing it

i only like the car going in once per year and after 3 years they do a service and mot so it suits me better as i cant spare the time keep taking it in with an A service and then a few weeks later with a B service

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »
The service indicator comes on at about 11,000 miles then stays on for 1500 miles, each time you start the engine it reminds you that it needs servicing. When I ordered my HS I asked for the service indicator to be turned off, but it wasn't however it was turned off on the first service.

guest3250

« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2012, 04:25:50 PM »
While it may be a good idea for anyone who has not the foggiest about looking after a car
I feel the variable service thingy is a waste of time and so I asked them to turn it off!
I will have my car serviced once a year - even though I do less miles than required
I do about 6K miles - a little more sometimes at the moment as I make trips to see my son at University -
but that's about it.
It can't do any harm to have it serviced a bit before time  - but I would be concerned if I was dong more miles.

In the old days (way back when!!) I used to do an oil change every 3000 miles - but oils used to break down a lot quicker back then.
I still keep a close check - so far this car doesn't seem to use any oil - but I will still keep checking...

Alan

« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2012, 06:14:05 PM »
My dealer asked me if I wanted it turned off before I took delivery of the car. The answer was "yes please"  ;D ;D

guest3196

« Reply #128 on: November 07, 2012, 09:51:13 AM »
My dealer advised against the variable servicing and to go with the usual annual service schedule

LJs JAZZ

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 es cvt
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2012, 08:31:08 PM »
Further to my original post regarding variable servicing,I have been looking through the service book
for my Jazz.
In section10 , service schedule page 40 there is a box that must be stamped by the dealer if the service
reminder system is deactivated.
Mine has not been stamped, indeed the supplying dealer gave no indication that they deactivate this
system routinely.
Has anyone had there book stamped on page 40 if system deactivated?

guest3196

« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2012, 10:03:11 AM »
Mine wasn't stamped. I got the dealer to do it when I took the car in for a service. They checked their records and confirmed that the variable servicing had been turned off from day one. My Jazz is an ex demonstrator.

Checking for used HX Hybrid's on Honda's site , there's only one available in the whole country, so I was lucky to get the specification I wanted. I like my toys.

guest3250

« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2012, 11:36:55 PM »
Got mine stamped when I asked them to do it!

guest1272

« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2012, 10:23:45 AM »
I can't remember if I got the book stamped but I seem to remember signing some form of disclaimer saying that I realise that once turned off, variable servicing can no longer be turned on again (fine by me).

I'm also someone who simply hasn't got the time to return multiple times a year for checks and whatnot - that's why I bought the Jazz in the first place - trouble free motoring which means I spend LESS time at the dealership not more...

Sent from my iThingy using Tapathingy

guest3250

« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2012, 12:50:24 PM »
I think that is maybe an untruth you were told - they told me it could be turned on - but there was no point
in my opinion...

guest3792

« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2013, 07:31:46 PM »
Excuse me for jumping into this thread but it was the most relevant. I tried starting a new thread but, as a new member, it was stuck awaiting approval and I need to make a decision. The below is copied from the thread I was attempting to start...

Hi,

I've just bought a 2009 1.4 ES, although not from a Honda dealer. The dealership (Kia) who sold it to me offered me a 3 year servicing plan, paid monthly, at a cost of £536. After picking up the car today I drove to my local Honda dealer to pick up a spacesaver spare wheel I had ordered (don't trust cans of gunk!) and whilst there I had a chat with their service department about the cost of a service plan with them. It came in at around £850.
So following on from that I was wondering whether these plans are worthwhile, is it worth paying more for the one from the Honda dealer, is it better to just pay as I go, should I stick with my local independent who serviced my previous car, a Mondeo that I virtually ran into the ground?
The car has done 25k so far and I do around 15k a year. The plan at present is to keep it for around 5 years. Any advice would be most welcome. Anything to do with cars leaves me feeling well out of my comfort zone.

Tags:

anything