Author Topic: Auto dip headlights  (Read 2841 times)

AshimotoK0

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz SE Hybrid 2023
Auto dip headlights
« on: March 08, 2024, 09:21:39 AM »
On the few occasions I have driven my wife's Mk4 SE Hybrid in the dark with the auto-dip headlights enabled I keep getting drivers coming in the opposite direction flashing me. Presumably because the main beam is dazzling them.

What am I (we) doing wrong? Are there adjustments I should make? Or are the auto-dip headlamps just a 'not fit for purpose' gimmick?

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
Re: Auto dip headlights
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 11:21:14 AM »
I use the 'auto' dip function, and have never had anyone flash me. I thought the function very good, it seems to read the road conditions very well and always senses oncoming traffic well before it arrives in the 'dazzle' zone.

ahavoja

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Crosstar 2024
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 12:27:41 PM »
At night some oncoming car was also flashing at me. I was on low beams, so my high beams weren't even on. I think the low beams were adjusted too high, so it looked like high beams to the oncoming car. Then I adjusted the headlight height adjustment roller from setting 0 to 1. After that the oncoming cars haven't flashed at me as much. (But now I also don't see as far in the dark on low beams, but it's ok at slow city driving speeds.)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 12:36:24 PM »
I've found the auto-dip OK much of the time but isn't as good as a human. Two situations come to mind: (i) Not recognising a side-on vehicle waiting at a T-junction where it would be good etiquette to dip the headlights to avoid blinding the driver and (ii) bendy roads where the human can see the light from oncoming vehicles before it's possible to see the headlights.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 02:55:32 PM »
As others have said your dipped beam may still be aiming too high even after it has auto dipped . 

I think  the handbook gives suggested scroll wheel settings  depending on circumstances such as having heavy luggage in the boot etc.   But I find it easier to do it visually.   When stopped in traffic  I judge where my dipped beam cut off is concentrated on the  car a few metres in front. -or do it while parked.  You can usually see it even in daylight.  If its just below the window line of the other car it wont dazzle  on-coming drivers either.   . If its too high (or obviously too low)  just adjust the scroll wheel, watching as it drops or rises until it reaches the optimum height  for  the current loading of the car.     I check it every time there is a change in circumstances such luggage or rear passengers. 
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 07:51:30 PM »
I have disabled the auto high beam function as I find it lacking as well.

Moreover, I found the zero settng of the control a tad too high for my (and oncoming driver's) liking - maybe something to do with new car and the springs just not having "settled" - and turned it to one like @ahavoja

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 11:36:18 PM »
I'll just respond with my message from January 8 2024:

I don't understand why people don't use the auto high beam function...
I always drive with auto high beam activated and I'm really impressed. It works absolutely flawlessly!
In over 16 months I have never (indeed, not once!) had an angry flash reaction from an oncoming car.

Germans test everything and they do it thoroughly. Also the lighting of cars. Here's a test of the Jazz's (Crosstar) LED headlights:

The video speaks for itself, I translate the valuation (4:18) for you:

impeccable!
Very satisfactory for standard lighting technology.
Responding to oncoming and ahead traffic is just as reliable.

To compare: the Toyota Yaris:

Valuation (5:11):

Because of the fog, it was an "increased level of difficulty."
Nevertheless, the reaction to oncoming and ahead traffic could be much better. Even without fog, oncoming traffic was briefly blinded.
The illumination of the high beam is also more selective in the distance and only conditionally "helpful".

I probably wouldn't use it in a Yaris... :(
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 04:57:56 AM »
Obviously it works as you want it to but not for others

Just like other systems and features, they are not for everyone
Let's be careful out there !