Author Topic: Tyre deflation warning system  (Read 5746 times)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
Tyre deflation warning system
« on: January 10, 2024, 04:59:12 PM »
Sorry if the answer to this question is already here somewhere. The tyre pressure warning system came up with a warning after I had a new tyre fitted. I checked all the tyres and set the calibration running. All seemed OK at first but now the calibration warning has appeared again. I checked the pressures again and started the calibration for another check. My question is this, does the calibration system come back to let you know it has completed its job? I have not seen that confirmation yet.
Neil Ives

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
Re: Tyre deflation warning system
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 05:07:32 PM »
Did you calibrate the system right after the tyre exchange or only after the alert showed up?
If the latter: Check the tyre pressure again on all four wheels when the car has stood over night, then recalibrate - provided there is no leak this should do the trick.

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 05:19:54 PM »
My question is this, does the calibration system come back to let you know it has completed its job? I have not seen that confirmation yet.

No, there’s no confirmation of calibration complete. Once you’ve activated the calibration, you do get a “finished” message but that just seems to mean you’ve successfully started the process. You just have to follow the guidance … if I remember correctly, the handbook asks you to drive for around 30 minutes ensuring you do plenty of left and right turns at varying speeds.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 06:24:31 PM »
Sometimes you just need to repeat the calibration. I don’t know why but after changing from winter to summer wheels or vice versa, sometimes 1 calibration is enough but 2 or 3 might be needed to do the trick. Same happened on my mk3 Jazz.

Neil Ives

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 08:36:46 PM »
Thank you folks,
I'll carry out your tips.
Neil Ives

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 05:37:27 AM »
Perfectly normal

Typically, after a new tyre and recalibration it may go off again around 100 and 300 miles

This is because as the tyre wall beds in and softens it's picked up by the sensors as the rotation changes

I've had that twice on Civics when I needed just one tyre replaced, both rears
Let's be careful out there !

HertsHonda

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX I-VTEC CVT 2017
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 09:42:00 AM »
Took my Mk3 Jazz to tyre fitters when warning seemed to be appearing every two weeks - they 'checked' for slow punctures -not found (my pressure readings indicated some deflation), and fitters concluded that rim seats were corroded "common problem with Honda 'ally' wheels" (apparently).
Claimed that they had applied sealant to rim seat - problem fixed, for a while.
Maybe slow deflation caused by me parking on coarse gravel drive??
I check pressures every 2 weeks are prior to important journey.

Friend with CRV had similar problems (& similar parking arrangements!!) and similar diagnostic (from mobile fitter). CRV now has new tyres and sealed rims. Not aware of any recent deflation.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 02:50:54 PM »
If only one tyre loses pressure then its got a leak. If its slow it may be difficult to trace. Could be a puncture, faulty valve, porous wheel, poor bead seal etc .

If all four tyres lose pressure at about the same rate  its more likely to be normal. All tyres can lose between 1 and 3 psi a month due to permeation through the tyre structure. And change due to the ambient temperature.   Normally equally  , but if one side of the car is in the shade and the other in full sun there could be a temporary variation between sides  that could potentially activate the TPMS.     The Honda  TPMS reacts to one tyre starting to rotate at a  different speed relative to the others. If all lose the same amount their  relative speeds stay the same and TPMS doesnt activate  . So its still important to check tyre pressures  from time to time .They might all be too low a pressure using extra fuel.
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2024, 02:57:44 PM »
Having had a MK3 and now a MK4 I think the later car seems to have ironed out most of the issues on the MK3 which, to be frank, was a bit of a nightmare. Drive at motorway speeds, it would go off, recalibrate after checking tyre pressures and it would be OK until you went on the motorway again. It went off about 5 times for no reason if I recall correctly. Agreed with dealer that the next time it went off I wouldn't recalibrate and take the car in. It never went off again!

I have had one false alarm on the MK4, recalibrated and that's been it fortunately. It's a rubbish system to be fair but my experience leads me to believe Honda might have finally got it to work properly.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2024, 03:04:29 PM »
Mine went off and it was right

Had a screw in the rear nearside causing a very slow puncture

Fortunately fixable, £20 at my Honda dealer
Let's be careful out there !

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2024, 04:02:16 PM »
I was dreading getting a  car with TPMS. Scare stories about expensive valve sensors needing servicing and replacing .       But i have been happy with the indirect system used by Honda.    It saved me a fortune in buying valve monitors when I bought a second set of rims.

Mine has gone off about 4 times.(In 20K miles)  Once at about 100 miles when the car was new, and again soon after.   Also about 100 miles  after I fitted new tyres to my second set of rims.   All due to bedding in and getting more flexible I think.  It doesnt activate when I swop between my sets of wheels. Probably because the tyres have already done mileage  and I ensure  the tyre pressures are correctly  balanced for front and rear.    I think the final activation was because the road  had numerous patched areas that had subsided due to heavy trucks. It was numerous ins and outs - not a continuous lorry rut like you sometimes see.The wheels on one side would travel slightly further  than the other  when they followed the arc of the depression.   A tiny difference each time  but it may have accumulated .   
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 04:08:26 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2024, 04:38:11 PM »
I wonder if our TPMS works Never went off in 13.5k miles...
If nothing goes right, go left!

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2024, 07:41:50 PM »
After replacing both front tyres and then later the rear pair the tyre pressure monitors  “bonged” a day or so after recalibrating the new tyres . Otherwise no issues

Tags:

anything