Author Topic: Should I change my Mk3 for a Mk4?  (Read 3674 times)

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
Should I change my Mk3 for a Mk4?
« on: July 13, 2023, 06:43:00 PM »
I’m thinking of changing my 65000 mile Mk3 for a new Mk4, despite having had no problems. Has anyone regretted making this change?

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
Re: Should I change my Mk3 for a Mk4?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 07:52:37 PM »
I changed from a Mk3 to a Mk4 and don't regret it for a moment.
Mk4 is a great car, better mpg and a good turn off speed when you need it.
Always thought my Mk3 was a bit slow in first gear, no such problem in the Mk4 although it's not a manual.
Easy car to drive but there is no room for a spare wheel unless you use the boot area.
Would I buy it again though...... definitely.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 08:00:06 PM by Derkie54 »
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 08:54:18 PM »
That is a very personal decision, but I think the overwhelming evidence here would be that you will not regret it. The Mk 4 is an outstanding car, as have been previous Jazz models.

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 09:46:48 PM »
Having come from a MK 3 EX to a MK4, they really are chalk and cheese!

I had my 2016 for 3years, and it was a super, (not so little), car.

No complaints with it at all, but you had to give the 1300 engine, with auto, some welly, on the hills.

I equipped it with a space saver wheel in the floor of the boot; there’s no provision to do this on the MK 4.

As I bought the car, with the remainder of the transferred over 5 year maintenance plan, all that I spent on it repairs wise, was £17 for some rear brake pads. Fitting was easy, via UTube.

Over the 3 years, and about 12000 miles, I was pleased with my 53 mpg. Probable real world 50mpg.

I have had my MK4 now for about 14 months. It has the Honda 5 year maintenance in place, and it has just been in for its service. There was also a front camera recall, and I encouraged them to update the sat nav.
Some dealerships charge £40 for this, it’s like most things......if you don’t ask.....
My plan will be to sell it in four and a half years time, with full service history, and the new owner, will get the next service, on the pre paid plan. Just short now of 5000 miles, and the gauge shows 72.1mpg. (Prob. 68 ).

The only things that would cause me more research if I was buying today, might be the price.
I believe that the top spec car, would be 25% more than I paid for mine! Perhaps other makes are similar.
There have been grumbling also, with some people upset at their insurance renewals.
Limited choice of colours

Forgetting the money, I cannot imagine a better car in its class. Did someone mention a test drive!!!

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 07:49:45 AM »
I have been go through the same process, but decided in the end to go for the MK4. Only time will tell if it was the right choice,

I should be picking mine up in a couple of days, so wish me luck.

Plasma

Derkie54

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 07:59:20 AM »
I have been go through the same process, but decided in the end to go for the MK4. Only time will tell if it was the right choice,

Plasma

Let us all know what you think.

Marco1979

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Crosstar 2021 Crystal Red
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 08:52:16 AM »
I drove an mk3 1.3 cvt and a mk3 1.5 cvt both for 2 years. The Mk4 drivetrain is so much more refined, powerful and economic; I enjoy it a lot! It is a large difference!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2023, 09:31:08 AM »
I’ve had Mk2 and Mk3 in the past and have just px’ed my Mk4 Ex, for a Mk4 Advance and in my opinion the car just gets better and better.
Absolutely recommend changing to the Mk4 if possible, you will not regret it.

plasma

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 mark 4
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2023, 10:40:05 AM »

Plasma

Well yes I had planned to do just that but, I do not want to become a bore, one member has already said I am asking about problems that do not exist, it’s a pity as I have had a lot of help from this site, so maybe best to leave at that.

Plasma.

Downsizer

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2023, 11:10:40 AM »
Quote from: davejazz link=topic=15928.msg134805#msg134805 date
The only things that would cause me more research if I was buying today, might be the price.
I believe that the top spec car, would be 25% more than I paid for mine! Perhaps other makes are similar.
There have been grumbling also, with some people upset at their insurance renewals.
Limited choice of colours.
Yes, price is an issue - I’m hoping there may be some stock they want to shift! If I don’t change I’ll be facing some extra maintenance costs soon e.g. discs, plugs, 3rd set of front tyres. Is there any reason why insurance would cost more than for a Mk3? I currently have a reasonable deal with LV.

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2023, 12:20:11 PM »
I’ve had Mk2 and Mk3 in the past and have just px’ed my Mk4 Ex, for a Mk4 Advance and in my opinion the car just gets better and better.
Absolutely recommend changing to the Mk4 if possible, you will not regret it.
Will be interested to know how and why you find it is better, when you get your new Advance, and have time to absorb it all.

Derkie54

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2023, 01:36:32 PM »

Plasma

Well yes I had planned to do just that but, I do not want to become a bore, one member has already said I am asking about problems that do not exist, it’s a pity as I have had a lot of help from this site, so maybe best to leave at that.

Plasma.

You are not being a bore, the questions you asked this year will be asked again by someone else next year, it's not a problem.
The forum is for everyone and I enjoy reading about peoples opinions and possible tips, I'm sure most of the forum members would agree, if you've got something to say then go ahead.
Someone mentioned the brake hold doesn't work in reverse, I didn't know that at the time so always something to learn on this forum, which has a lot of very helpful members.
I (and most others I'm sure) look forward to hearing what you think of your new car if you're still happy to tell us.

Beaver

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2023, 02:15:08 PM »
+1 for feedback!

I changed from a 2012 model to the Mk.4 and don't regret a thing about it.  I'd be interested in how you find the change of vehicle.

coravel

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 Hybrid EX
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2023, 02:47:50 PM »
I did exactly the same and have no regrets at all.  The Mk4 is a much better car.

njf16154

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2023, 01:55:20 PM »
I exchanged my 2013 model, with a trouble free 100k on the clock that I loved to drive, for the Mk 4 2 years ago and have had no regrets. I drive a bit less these days, but the 14500 miles so far have been an absolute joy with great fuel economy  :D. I'd not really driven an automatic before, let alone a hybrid, so have been pleasantly surprised at how relaxing it is!

Tags: