Author Topic: Spacesaver spare wheel  (Read 1856 times)

pauly58

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid Elegance
Spacesaver spare wheel
« on: March 21, 2023, 07:36:45 PM »
I hit a pot hole & of course got a puncture, managed to get home as the tyre went flat, used the compressor & tyre glue, it was just up in the morning so blew it up & got to a tyre company. He wasn't impressed & had to wash out the tyre & wheel & couldn't find the puncture so a new tyre, we had only done 6k km on it.

I don't know who is the more stupid, Honda for selling a car with no spare wheel or me for buying it. I want to carry a spare now & my local dealer is pricing one for me, has anyone sourced one or is a standard roadwheel the best option ?

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
Re: Spacesaver spare wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 09:13:15 PM »
I don't know who is the more stupid, Honda for selling a car with no spare wheel or me for buying it.

That's an open question... :P
But considering that you can hardly buy a (new) car anymore equipped (as standard) with a spare wheel, you can ask that question to almost every buyer of almost every car make.
In addition, I had my last flat tire in April 2011, which I had to change for the spare in pouring rain...
When we purchased our Jazz, yes, without a spare wheel, we had had a spare for over 10 years without ever needing it. The thing only added weight and took up luggage (or now battery) space.

Of course we can also conclude that I was lucky and that you had bad luck.
On the bright side: statistically it will be my turn soon and you can drive happily for many years without punctures..
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 10:42:45 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 08:04:37 AM »
The last 5 cars I have owned didn't come with a spare tyre. Only once did I suffer a puncture, and this only of the slow variety. I have had a few nails which didn't affect the psi and only came to light during service.

Are tyres and wheel rims better now, lasting longer and suffering less damage which means a spare is less required?

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 09:01:23 AM »
I haven't had a puncture requiring a spare for over 20 years, that one happened in Cornwall on a country lane after I'd passed someone repairing a wall, managed to pick up a nail somehow.

More recently our Seat Mii picked up a nail in one tyre but we didn't even realise for several weeks as the puncture was so slow, it was picked up when we had it serviced. The car had only done about 1000 miles so it was annoying having to buy a new tyre when the damaged one had done so few miles. Perhaps todays tyres are more resilient than the older type as suggested by Nicksey

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 10:10:22 AM »
If you get a puncture from hitting a pothole  its likely to be side wall damage, which will almost certainly mean a new tyre is required anyway.  Also the the emergency repair liquid wont work for many  cases of side wall damage  . It may have worked in  this case because the supplied liquid is especially thick and may have coated the inside of the tyre well enough to seal over the leak . But this temporary seal can also mean the fitter cannot find where the  air is escaping.    Fitters  hate this stuff because its so difficult to remove.  It normally takes so long its may  cheaper just to fit a new tyre.    Not such a problem in the case of side wall damage - the tyre would probably have to be replaced anyway.  But it may mean that a  simple puncture from a nail that could have been repaired  may also be replaced  .If at all possible its best to avoid using sealant.   

Incidentally the tyre repair aerosols you can buy in accessory shops  such as Holts  often use a less aggressive mix  of water and latex.  .  Not quite as effective sealing leaks  but easier to clean off .     
None of this helps with the problem of not having a spare tyre.  Many cars dont come with a spare wheel these days  and in the case of hybrids the spare wheel well is often used for batteries.

I carry  a full sized spare. It takes up boot space,but still leaves enough space for my needs.   I have two sets of wheels so use one of those as my spare. .   A space saver may take up a bit less space, but still takes up some in cars without wheel wells  , and can be quite expensive .     You'll also need a jack and tools.   >:(     If you only intend using it as a temporary spare you may find a cheaper option is a used wheel and tyre from a older compatible Honda   (even an early civic)    The Following web site may help

https://www.wheel-size.com/size/honda/jazz/2020/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 10:31:47 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 10:37:01 AM »
Pauly58,
Don't waste your money on a Honda supplied space saver.
YOU CAN GET THEM ON EBAY FROM ABOUT £30!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=2022+HONDA+JAZZ+SPACESAVER&_sacat=0

Check the PCD et for different years here. (but I think they are all the same)
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/honda/jazz/
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 11:11:50 AM »
 And what about: https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/breakdown-assistance.html

HONDA BREAKDOWN
ASSISTANCE - CALL
 0800 521 728**
If you have a Honda Extended Guarantee or your car is within its factory
warranty period, our Honda Breakdown Assistance will be there when you
need it.

**This number is only for Breakdown Assistance on cars not compatible with My Honda+. For details on how to receive Breakdown Assistance with a My Honda+ compatible car, please see https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/my-honda-plus/safety-subscription.html

Here in Poland I would just phone: Pomoc drogowa +48 22 306 52 42 (Roadside assistance +48 22 306 52 42).
No fiddling with a spare wheel in pouring rain, just wait a while (dry) in a nice warm car... ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:26:47 AM by Jazzik »

Derkie54

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 1.5i-MMD Jazz SR (Shining Grey)
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 12:01:04 PM »
I have a spare wheel & tyre in good condition (T135/70D15 99M) available that was with my Mk3 Jazz if anyone is interested.

Free.....collect from Gloucester
It will be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end !

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2023, 07:14:03 PM »
I wonder which of us has this kind of tire repair kit in the car (just in case ;)).

There are many of these sets on the market (check Amazon for example). Chosen this video because we are on a Honda forum...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 07:26:22 PM by Jazzik »

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 07:39:41 AM »
Kits for plugging nail penetration punctures  used to be a very common practice . You remove the nail and replace it with glued rubber plug of the correct size.  (or some sort of gluey string poked through the hole  I believe) 

Indeed tyre fitters still  sometimes use a similar system for puncture repairs but with the inside of the tyre  patched and vulcanised as well. 

I think a DIY plug works well enough in a clean and straightforward hole thats not too close to the tyre wall (which is subject to extra stresses. The plug used in the video photo is about as close to the side wall  as you should go )    But  the tyre industry point out that you dont always know its actually a simple hole from the outside.   Sometimes   a nail etc can cause internal damage  to tyre structure and DIY users have been known to try and plug a really bad hole/tear by using more than one plug.    So the kits are not recommended by the experts, and might be illegal in some countries.

Actually some  of us are already driving around  with one or more nails in our tyres  ,and sometimes they penetrate right through, and only noticed when the tyre is removed for replacement.   .  Often the tyre has not been losing air as the nail is its own effective plug.     So you may already have plugs,(the nail)  and potential internal damage.

If remove the nail the leak gets worse  until you fit the rubber plug.  Which may or may not work.   The existing  puncture repair gunge may work better at sealing a hole that still has its nail embedded,  until you get  to a tyre fitter.   But if you have used gunge its time consuming for them to remove the internal coating  and find the puncture.  It may be cheaper to replace a tyre that might have been repairable.     So usually  if the puncture is relatively slow iits better to try and pump the tyre up and get to a fitters without using  gunge ,even if it means stopping on route to top it up again.   

The plug device may be one option to carry in the car .But how often do you have a  'clean ' nail penetration that is audibly hissing out air, that needs immediate treatment to continue? One where a plug might work.
 And  would you really trust a plugged repair to give no further trouble for   the remaining life of the tyre?  You could give it a try and see how the pressure holds up.     But neither the gunge, or a repair plug will work  on a tyre thats badly damaged or cut by a pothole strike or sharp debris etc.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 07:58:06 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Karoq

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Was HR-V e:HEV. 7 Hondas owned in the past. Currently CR-V SR. 2022 E:HEV
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2023, 09:40:49 AM »
I wonder which of us has this kind of tire repair kit in the car (just in case ;)).

There are many of these sets on the market (check Amazon for example). Chosen this video because we are on a Honda forum...
I do!
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)

davejazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: jazz EX 1.5 May 22 in boring black!
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2023, 05:38:26 PM »

Yes, I have used the kit three times now, over the last four years. The video is accurate in the advice it gives.

I would say the two most important points, (excluding the screw), are only do the repair if it is more than an inch away from the sidewall, and note the angle the screw comes out at. You can then “plunge and rasp”, at that same angle. The kits are a couple of pounds on Tebay, inc. postage.... How do they do that?

The last one I did, was quite labour intensive, on a BMW runflat, perhaps they are more heavy duty; but on a more standard tyre like ours, just follow the video. As an aside, if you are inflating the tyre after repair using the supplied electric pump, it may take 20 minutes to get to the correct pressure from flat. The pump has a warning on it to not exceed 10 minutes use, so go and make a brew before you top it up.

If you are at home with the car on the driveway, it’s easier with the wheel removed. ( extra kit though).

Tags:

anything